Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL Suit -- Summer Edition

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My size as well. I'm glad you posted this as I wouldn't have seen it otherwise but I'm also annoyed as it'll drive the price up :p.

How comfortable would rayon be in warm weather though?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Definitely some shade of brown (although black would look OK it would harmonise as nicely as brown in my opinion). I'm sure spectators would work equally well to single coloured shoes. Not sure about white so I'll leave that for the experts to decide.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
No, my posting will have zero effect on the final price. Here's why: this suit is so rare and so desired by hardcore collectors --the ones who search daily for new eBay auctions and bid big money on 'em-- that they would have found this auction no matter what. Believe me, I'm of no help to them.
I agree that it'll have little or no effect on the end price. Hence why FL policy changed a few years ago to allow links to live auctions to be posted. As usual with the nice suits you post links to I'll have to resign myself to saving the pictures in case I ever come into enough money to have a good tailor make me something similar. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I love the wedding picture you attached, also. It's full of little lessons on period style. Are both of the men wearing button down collars? That's what it looks like to me. I'm making a note of that fact.
Oh, and why oh why must they ALWAYS say "Gangster" about every double breasted suit???

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
You mean bullet holes?
Possibly, or some other violence related damage. I'd imagine a lot of the suits we seem in ebay which are in good condition were probably owned by people with very mundane office jobs meaning they got relatively little wear. Or owned by people who weren't in jobs requiring a suit so their suits only got worn on special occasions.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'd imagine a lot of the suits we seem in ebay which are in good condition were probably owned by people with very mundane office jobs meaning they got relatively little wear. Or owned by people who weren't in jobs requiring a suit so their suits only got worn on special occasions.

I think the second is more likely than first. You'd be surprised how much mileage day in, day out wear puts on suits (even mundane office work), especially when you only have two or three of them, as was so typical with guys in the golden era.

More than anything, though, I suspect we have folks with an overabundance of clothes and proper care/storage practices to thank for vintage pieces in good condition.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
On German Ebay, a surprising number of vintage suits (of the few that make it to the 'Bay) is actually listed as something like 'Grandpa's wedding suit' (with 'Stresemann suit' as the other option).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider