Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Echter Borsalino Homburg in black, dated 14 Nov 1957. Sweatband reads; Mertes, Schildergasse, Koln. I'm a little puzzled by the unusual (at least to me) 'Borsalino Giuseppe & Fratello' liner label. although I remember seeing one of Steve's Borsalinos with this label. There is minor rubbing to the brim binding on one side, but it is more noticeable in the photo. Have also posted this in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

IMGA0940.jpg IMGA0947.jpg IMGA0941.jpg

IMGA0942.JPG IMGA0943.JPG IMGA0944.JPG

IMGA0946.JPG IMGA0945.JPG

Chris

Chris, Great find! Always nice to have date stamp. :) Do you mean G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro & C.? They were the other Borsalino but were absorbed by Borsalino Giuseppe e Fratello SPA in 1935.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thanks very much Steve - and no, I meant the actual liner emblem under the liner crown protector which reads 'Borsalino Giuseppe & Fratello'. If you enlarge my pic no. 3 showing the liner, you will see more clearly what I mean.
I remember seeing a pic somewhere of one of your Borsalinos with this same emblem and have searched for it, but am unable to find it.
Your pic and my hat are the only two examples that I have come across, so I wondered what might be the significance, if any at all.

Chris

DOGMAN

One Too Many
HatsRme,I don't see a corrugated area.If you look at the pic that shows the area with the holes,you can see that the sweatband is not attached in the front.So the front of the band is open.Mayserwegener,thanks that's cool info.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Yes I am sure that was the case in that time period. The original Homburg was Edward VII. He brought the hat back from PH. Möckel Hutfabrik Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany supposedly in 1882. In Germany it would have been called a Modehut (Fashion Hat).
Indeed, and a most fashionable chap he was too! I'm sure Edward the VII would have made the Homburg fashionable amongst the upper classes at the time. Fashions have always tended to follow the monarchy and I'm sure that would have sown the seed for the politicos, who were generally the upper-class at the time, to follow.

Indeed, and a most fashionable chap he was too! I'm sure Edward the VII would have made the Homburg fashionable amongst the upper classes at the time. Fashions have always tended to follow the monarchy and I'm sure that would have sown the seed for the politicos, who were generally the upper-class at the time, to follow.

What is interesting is that the soft felt hat was looked down upon in Britain and especially fashion soft felts from Europe. It's fairly apparent if you look through The Hatter's Gazette (similar to The American Hatter) editions from late 1800s into the early 1900s. I think some of it was about protecting the British stiff felt industry. Edward VII was definitely not of that view point and wore German and Austrian soft felt hats. I also discovered he brought a Trachten style Velour hat (Anton Pichler Graz) back from Marienbad, Austria that became popular within court circles (see photo below). I am not sure this was known until I found it mentioned in a memorial (by Österreichisch Hutmacher-Zeitungto December 20, 1930) to Anton Pichler of Graz (see link below).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...hler-hutfabrik-josef-pitchler-sohne/#entry958

13946243419_20bb9345f0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko