Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars

Attachments

• Img_6716.jpg
    Img_6716.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Img_6722.jpg
    Img_6722.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 169

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
My Stetson had stopped smiling while in the box but about 30 seconds of steam enabled me to reshape it

Thanks, TheManInTheHat.

I have indeed tried steaming, but to little avail. I guess I'll just have to keep steaming. It's not so much the smile that's gone, but chinks in the shape have occurred over the years: probably due to storing.

Maybe the following photo will help. Even though the hat looks grey in the photo, it is the same hat. It's the light highlighting the grey in the black felt.

IMAG0781.jpg

I found this Wegener Colonel the other day. The fur is very soft, both on the rim and crown.

Unfortunately, the brim has become somewhat misshapen. I have no idea of the age. Early 60's perhaps?

Super! Wegener made really nice Homburgs. Is the liner stitched or glued? Also if you have time please post photos in the German - Austrian thread.

Regarding the Brim issue do you have access to a Jiffy Hat Steamer (or something similar)? You are going to have to hit with some concentrated steam to loosen up the felt and rework the Brim + Curl. You could also try spraying Distilled Water (just enough to loosen the felt) on the problem areas. If that leaves a water mark on the Binding you can soak the entire binding with Distilled Water.

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Super! Wegener made really nice Homburgs. Is the line stitched or glued? Also if you have time please post photos in the German - Austrian thread.

Regarding the Brim issue do you have access to a Jiffy Hat Steamer (or something similar)? You are going to have to hit with some concentrated steam to loosen up the felt and rework the Brim + Curl. You could also try spraying distilled water (just enough to loosen the felt) on the problem areas. If that leaves a water mark on the Binding you can soak the entire binding.

Thanks, Steve. I was hoping you'd post.

The lining is stitched.

I have only a steam kettle, bought for the purpose of steaming "normal" floppy fedora brims.
You are, of course, so right about Wegener Homburgs. This one sits so perfectly

Thanks, Steve. I was hoping you'd post.

The lining is stitched.

I have only a steam kettle, bought for the purpose of steaming "normal" floppy fedora brims.
You are, of course, so right about Wegener Homburgs. This one sits so perfectly
My guess is later 1950s. Where did you find it? The Homburg I wore yesterday was made by Wegener.

You might want to try to soak the problem areas (use a clean sponge) with Distilled Water and reshape. For the less problematic areas just spray with Distilled Water.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
My guess is later 1950s. Where did you find it? The Homburg I wore yesterday was made by Wegener.

You might want to try to soak the problem areas (use a clean sponge) with Distilled Water and reshape. For the less problematic areas just spray with Distilled Water.

Thanks, Steve, I'll try that. I so appreciate your advice.

I found it in a thrift store or charity shop as we'd call them here.

Sonero

Practically Family
Hello everyone this is my first post on FL.

I recently started getting into HATS and gave away many of my baseball caps from my collection.

After careful review and internet searching I stumbled upon the Stetson Homburg. They happened to have just one left on their website my color and my size. I was thrilled. I immediately took out my credit card and purchased the hat. Needless to say when it arrived I was SO disappointed with the quality. It felt like something you would find at a fair or a tourist hat store while on vacation.

Like all other retail outlets I am sure Stetson is suffering in quality as well.

Do you all find this to be true with most Stetson Models ? Some of the Trilby hats feel like cardboard.
Photo on 7-30-16 at 5.24 PM-2.jpg

I returned the hat and opted for cheaper brands until I know for sure who makes quality hats.

In the meantime I purchased a straw fedora from JC Penney on sale for $10 and the quality is fantastic...go figure.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
If you are size 7 1/2 or smaller I would look for a vintage Homburg because you can find New Old Stock or close for a very good price.

Any brands to look out for that make high quality homburgs for not too much money that might be available in NOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone this is my first post on FL.

I recently started getting into HATS and gave away many of my baseball caps from my collection.

After careful review and internet searching I stumbled upon the Stetson Homburg. They happened to have just one left on their website my color and my size. I was thrilled. I immediately took out my credit card and purchased the hat. Needless to say when it arrived I was SO disappointed with the quality. It felt like something you would find at a fair or a tourist hat store while on vacation.

Like all other retail outlets I am sure Stetson is suffering in quality as well.

Do you all find this to be true with most Stetson Models ? Some of the Trilby hats feel like cardboard. View attachment 54458

I returned the hat and opted for cheaper brands until I know for sure who makes quality hats.

In the meantime I purchased a straw fedora from JC Penney on sale for $10 and the quality is fantastic...go figure.

My Stetson is vintage (from eBay) and an excellent fur felt, so I would also suggest buying vintage. My vintage Bollman is great. I try to avoid wool and so-called "mixed" felt. My Beaver brand fedora is mixed felt, heavyweight and pretty nasty texture.

That is exactly my size :)

I have been checking Ebay. Where else do you recommend ?

So do you agree that the quality of Stetson is not up to par ?

Thanks
Ebay, Esty, FL Classifieds, Googling, ect. You should be able to find a nice 1950s or older Homburg in your size.

I am not really interested. Probably not going to find a Homburg like hat today at any price that will match an average one from 1950s or older.

Any brands to look out for that make high quality homburgs for not too much money that might be available in NOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A mid price range (major brands from whatever country) Homburg from the 1950s or older will be of good quality. Finding a 1950s or older one in NOS will be a bit more difficult but if you keep looking you will find one (or more).

Sonero

Practically Family
Ebay, Esty, FL Classifieds, Googling, ect. You should be able to find a nice 1950s or older Homburg in your size.

I am not really interested. Probably not going to find a Homburg like hat today at any price that will match an average one from 1950s or older.

I came across a hat brand called BORSALINO. Their designs are everything I would want in a nice fedora but the prices are insane. Luckily I read a review on Amazon that stated they are now produced in China. There is no way I would put that type of money down for chinese products. Like everything these days.....quality has diminished.

Borsalino are still made in Italy but a shadow of what they were after the family sold the business in the early 1980s. They were the last great hat company. For a classic Homburg look for 1950s or older (Borsalino Homburgs were fantastic).

Later 1950s Echter Borsalino that belongs to Manfred.

12347393425_d05de2bab0_b.jpg

12347393335_cc94813572_b.jpg

Last edited:
This Hardeman belongs to Redfokker (see post below).

I went ahead and posted the photos from your Flickr account. You should be able to see what I did by using the normal text editor option.

Fantastic! It's in New Old Stock (NOS) condition.

28441292653_3bbce1a155_b.jpg

28441313063_96bb0130aa_b.jpg

28953779102_c0fc1fc8e9_b.jpg

28441316163_cc94b38055_b.jpg

28953761702_33a428efac_b.jpg

28953774702_800679bffc_b.jpg

28438216004_dd1acce35d_b.jpg

If you search here you will find some other Hardeman hats. Here is some information on the J. T. Hardeman Hat Co..

" This prominent factory building was designed and built for the J. T. Hardeman Hat Co. established in Seattle by Joseph T. Hardeman (1872-1943) c.1909. J.T. Hardeman was Missouri born and arrived in Seattle c.1904 where he initially worked in the dry goods trade. The initial/original location of the hat factory was at 114 King Street; however, in 1920 the operation was relocated to this custom-designed modern factory building constructed that year on property purchased by Hardeman 2-10-1920. This 4-story (w/ basement) reinforced concrete structure measured 33’ X 108’ and was custom designed by Seattle architect Clayton D. Wilson according to Permit #189993 and architectural drawings included in the Seattle DPD Microfilm Library. The business became an internationally known firm with extensive domestic and export markets. Mr. Hardeman remained president of the firm until his death in September 1943 after which the plant building and the business was sold to L.C. Mounger and J.C. Caldbick who continued to operate it. By that time, Glen C. North was the plant manager and several members of staff had been with the company for 35 years (Seattle Times 12-05-1944, p. 18). The factory functioned as a hat manufacturing and wholesale warehouse operation until early 1954, when all of the office and factory equipment was sold. Emil Gaupholm (sp) acquired the property at an unknown date and in early 1959 undertook a project to convert the building into commercial office spaces according to an innovative design credited to architect Donald N. McDonald. Twenty-four (24) individual office spaces were created – 6 per floor with common restroom facilities. The offices were accessed via a new open balcony and stair system added at north side of building. The building has continued to function for office and classroom purposes since the conversion. "

2147012343_20140826_213052.jpg

http://web6.seattle.gov/DPD/HistoricalSite/QueryResult.aspx?ID=2147012343

Last edited:
mayserwegener you are most kind!! I was struggling with using the image icon in the message block. I will study more and figure it out. Yes, this is a special Homburg, very light felt, high end features. I love it. Had Mike at NW Hats put a LO on it. My collection is kind of what we call at the OSU Archives as "medium rare". I like hats that tell a story, like Hardeman's place in Pacific NW history. I think the size of the flickr images is too large, I will endeavor to fix this. Uploading to Facebook is not this confusing for an old guy...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk