Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Posted these in the Great British Hat Makers thread as well. Failsworth is a fine English manufacturer of hats. Founded in 1903 and based in Manchester this company is of interest not only for the quality of their own branded hats but because from 1948 onward they held the (English) license to produce Stetson hats. I have a couple of Imperial Stetson homburg hats that were produced in England. I know there was another license by Stetson for the German market, so I don't really know for what region their license was given, but Stetsons produced in England do pop up on a regular basis in The Netherlands and for Dutch hat-sellers. The company still exists but doesn't produce anything even near the superb quality they used to (it's mostly caps and tweed hats now). This one is from 1966. failsworth_1_resize.jpg failsworth_2_resize.jpg failsworth_3_resize.jpg failsworth_4_resize.jpg failsworth_5_resize.jpg failsworth_6_resize.jpg

Browsing through my photos I found these pictures of an Imperial Stetson made in England under license (by Failsworth). No longer have this one, but still have two others in my size. Size 58 (no other measurements at hand, sorry. I believe this one is from the mid fifties. Beautiful felt and finishing.

stetson imperial homburg 58_1.jpg stetson imperial homburg 58_2.jpg stetson imperial homburg 58_3.jpg stetson imperial homburg 58_4.jpg stetson imperial homburg 58_5.jpg stetson imperial homburg 58_6.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Posted these in the Great British Hat Makers thread as well. Failsworth is a fine English manufacturer of hats. Founded in 1903 and based in Manchester this company is of interest not only for the quality of their own branded hats but because from 1948 onward they held the (English) license to produce Stetson hats. I have a couple of Imperial Stetson homburg hats that were produced in England. I know there was another license by Stetson for the German market, so I don't really know for what region their license was given, but Stetsons produced in England do pop up on a regular basis in The Netherlands and for Dutch hat-sellers. The company still exists but doesn't produce anything even near the superb quality they used to (it's mostly caps and tweed hats now). This one is from 1966.
I have not a great knowledge about English hats, this one is superb.
I like the form, it is unique. Super

-30-

A-List Customer
"I have the same compulsion for the same type of hats, although in Italy "la lobbia" is rare to find because worn only by an elite of highly placed persons "

You, I, and the other Denizens thereof, are The Elite; we are The Members of The Fedora Lounge.

Regards. :rolleyes:

Posted these in the Great British Hat Makers thread as well. Failsworth is a fine English manufacturer of hats. Founded in 1903 and based in Manchester this company is of interest not only for the quality of their own branded hats but because from 1948 onward they held the (English) license to produce Stetson hats. I have a couple of Imperial Stetson homburg hats that were produced in England. I know there was another license by Stetson for the German market, so I don't really know for what region their license was given, but Stetsons produced in England do pop up on a regular basis in The Netherlands and for Dutch hat-sellers. The company still exists but doesn't produce anything even near the superb quality they used to (it's mostly caps and tweed hats now). This one is from 1966. View attachment 71494 View attachment 71495 View attachment 71496 View attachment 71497 View attachment 71498 View attachment 71499
This is a superb rendition, the lines of the brim are quite slender and refined. Impressive.

Browsing through my photos I found these pictures of an Imperial Stetson made in England under license (by Failsworth). No longer have this one, but still have two others in my size. Size 58 (no other measurements at hand, sorry. I believe this one is from the mid fifties. Beautiful felt and finishing.

View attachment 71500 View attachment 71501 View attachment 71502 View attachment 71503 View attachment 71504 View attachment 71505
Another beauty! Your collection never ceases to amaze! Have we seen all of the best yet?

I have the same compulsion for the same type of hats, although in Italy "la lobbia" is rare to find because worn only by an elite of highly placed persons :rolleyes:
Daniele, we are kindred spirits! There was a discussion recently with Steve about how it came about that this type of hat was associated with the elite (diplomats, politicians, employers) as to cause it to be named Arbeitgeberhut (employershat) in Germany. Steve rightly pointed out that curled brim hats of this sort were prolific in the twenties and thirties and would have been worn as much by the common man as the elite. I think there might be a parallel with the top hat in this situation. At one time top hats were worn by just about everyone, but in later periods it was very much associated with the elite (bankers especially). The phenomenon that what is at one time considered to be leisure or sporting gear gradually evolves into more formal attire is known. This is not restricted to hats but to clothing in general.

Last edited:
Another beauty! Your collection never ceases to amaze! Have we seen all of the best yet?
Redfokker, thank you for the kind comments. Well, it is a good idea to serve the fine wines first at a party. There is however, I believe, still plenty good vintage left in the cellar! I do not have the affliction of hat contentment I read about in the other thread. Even though I promised myself I would stop at a hundred, I didn't. Too late to stop now.

Redfokker, thank you for the kind comments. Well, it is a good idea to serve the fine wines first at a party. There is however, I believe, still plenty good vintage left in the cellar! I do not have the affliction of hat contentment I read about in the other thread. Even though I promised myself I would stop at a hundred, I didn't. Too late to stop now.
I kneel in another master's presence.

Daniele, we are kindred spirits! There was a discussion recently with Steve about how it came about that this type of hat was associated with the elite (diplomats, politicians, employers) as to cause it to be named Arbeitgeberhut (employershat) in Germany. Steve rightly pointed out that curled brim hats of this sort were prolific in the twenties and thirties and would have been worn as much by the common man as the elite. I think there might be a parallel with the top hat in this situation. At one time top hats were worn by just about everyone, but in later periods it was very much associated with the elite (bankers especially). The phenomenon that what is at one time considered to be leisure or sporting gear gradually evolves into more formal attire is known. This is not restricted to hats but to clothing in general.
There is definitely a look that someone like Anthony Eden could pull off because of the money he had to wear the highest quality. When Soft Felt Curled Brims were generally worn it was more about quality / price. Black would be considered the most formal and how the hat is creased / presented mattered. Once Soft Felt Snap Brims take over Soft Felt Curled Brim hats become the hats of K.A. and other such Elites. Also they were usually only at the highest price point (1950s - 1960s).

This was one of the finest hats I have owned and I hated to let it go, but it was way too big for me. A Borsalino homburg/lobbia, unlined, stellar felt and beautiful finishing (the damage to the brim binding was minimal and didn't bother me). Brim measured 6cm and the crown 11 cm at the pinch.
Late forties to early fifties I believe. From the shop of Jan Spoorenberg in Eindhoven, which was reopened in after the war in 1948 on this address. Jan Spoorenberg is the same Spoorenberg that produced silk top hats in his own factory in Eindhoven. borsalino homburg grey 59_1.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_2.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_3.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_4.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_5.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_6.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_7.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_8.jpg borsalino homburg grey 59_9.jpg

Here is a Beaver Brand long hair homburg project hat. I gave it a bath, reconditioned the leather, soaked and ironed the lining....brushed the heck out of it and I now have a nice fun hat!! It came pretty rough but had the 60's brick crease with long side pinches evident.......I did modify them slightly, mainly by adding the counterdent for my big head and adding small details to the side pinches......the origional center crease was off center....and I left that element.......adds character! It now really glistens in the sun!!!
Cheers,
M
14921186844151406285629.jpg 1492119130605319359773.jpg 1492119163414-1944118079.jpg 1492119188139-1492574506.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points