Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Question for the Homburg Nation: I have a nice old Stetson St. Regis but I don't really wear it due to the casual nature of my work these days. I've been planning to sell it but it struck me that it might look good and be more versatile with a homburg porkpie-type crown instead of the center dent. Any precedent for this?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Question for the Homburg Nation: I have a nice old Stetson St. Regis but I don't really wear it due to the casual nature of my work these days. I've been planning to sell it but it struck me that it might look good and be more versatile with a homburg type crown instead of the center dent. Any precedent for this?
Are you talking abt keeping the center crease and adding pinches? If so, yes I think it will look very nice.

Hat number three of the hats I picked up yesterday. Wegener Colonel homburg in black, size 56. Brim at 6cm and crown at 10cm at the pinch. I alway thought that the "colonel" designation was for a model, but that's not the case apparently. I have a "colonel" fedora and now a homburg too. The hat comes from Brandstetter Hüte, München, Germany. Not that I needed another black homburg, but what can you do?

wegener colonel hom_01.jpg wegener colonel hom_02.jpg wegener colonel hom_03.jpg wegener colonel hom_04.jpg wegener colonel hom_05.jpg wegener colonel hom_07.jpg wegener colonel hom_08.jpg wegener colonel hom_09.jpg wegener colonel hom_10.jpg wegener colonel hom_12.jpg

Here's a recent purchase that fits here. Moores homburg in black, size 7 or 57. Unlined with a nice crown patch. Brim at 6 cm and crown at 10,5 cm at the pinch. Not the very best British hat I have, but a very nicely made high quality hat nonetheless. J. Moores&sons was located in Denton, England and made hats under that name untill 1966 when it joined Lees, Battersby, Wilson and Christys to form Associated British Hat Manufacturers Ltd. I suspect they kept the brand name after 1966 but shortened it to "Moores" instead of J. Moores&Sons. The 73 number on the label may well be the production year. The material used for crown patch however points towards an earlier date. I'll post this one in the British makers thread as well.

moores_1.jpg moores_2.jpg moores_3.jpg moores_4.jpg moores_5.jpg moores_6.jpg moores_7.jpg moores_8.jpg moores_9.jpg

Question for the Homburg Nation: I have a nice old Stetson St. Regis but I don't really wear it due to the casual nature of my work these days. I've been planning to sell it but it struck me that it might look good and be more versatile with a homburg type crown instead of the center dent. Any precedent for this?
Add a pinch, that makes any Homburg a little more casual for everyday wear. And then just wear it, you will look great.

These are both worthy of praise. I especially like the grey one. This light pink (?) binding is a nice feature. I still need a light gray Homburg, on my short list.
Mike, thanks. It may the lighting or the picture that makes it look pink(ish). To my eye it is more grey (but then again: I'm colourblind!). It is a very nice hat though. And yes: you do need a light grey homburg (and many more):).

Leopold Dermotta Wien, 59cm probably early to mid 1950s. Leopold Dermotta Wien hats are hard to find. I have only come across post WWII Homburg style hats in my size range and they are all very high quality. I really like the high side dents this one came with and it's in very good condition.

35508633723_9eca54e377_b.jpg

36181763901_5d6990a524_b.jpg

36130344232_ed01d65630_b.jpg

36130382822_2dd9d358d1_b.jpg

35463309174_078c8c304f_b.jpg

36256057506_af460b2674_b.jpg

36164877431_5aa6027724_b.jpg

36274672496_0ef4c2494a_b.jpg
Love the old advertisement! Another favorite Steve!

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
IMG_872.jpg
IMG_873.jpg
IMG_874.jpg
IMG_875.jpg
IMG_876.jpg
IMG_877.jpg
Well, after buying my first Homburg, a Stetson St Regis in grey, I have followed @Redfokker advice and found a more "formal" black one. It too is a St Regis that I believe is of the same 1950s vintage. I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet as it's more than I was prepared to spend at the moment ($299) but I thought I would post some pics and get some thoughts from others on here. A vintage St Regis in 7 5/8 is a tough one to find no doubt however it is 3 times more than what I spent on my last one. Though it does have the original box according to the ad. :)

View attachment 81295 View attachment 81296 View attachment 81297 View attachment 81298 View attachment 81299 View attachment 81300 Well, after buying my first Homburg, a Stetson St Regis in grey, I have followed @Redfokker advice and found a more "formal" black one. It too is a St Regis that I believe is of the same 1950s vintage. I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet as it's more than I was prepared to spend at the moment ($299) but I thought I would post some pics and get some thoughts from others on here. A vintage St Regis in 7 5/8 is a tough one to find no doubt however it is 3 times more than what I spent on my last one. Though it does have the original box according to the ad. :)
Being of the larger persuasion, you will see higher prices for these sizes. I kind of think that $300 is on the high side, if it is really special (old) maybe. It does have some good points, even though the pics are cruddy, the original price tag, intact, is something you don't see often. I would be wary without being able to make out the Stetson logo in the picture, details are important there (check the dedicated thread on Stetson logos), but it does look to be in the 1950s somewhere. As hard as it is not to snatch any 7 5/8 that comes along, this one is kind of overpriced, shoot the seller an offer. Maybe a great old Knox or Mallory will swim by in the bay. These would be a $300 no brainer.

I'm sure others will chime in on this, my meager knowledge of the large noggin issues comes from reading posts here on the lounge. Maybe Steve has a huge sized beauty he can't wear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21