Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I e-mailed them twice and no reaction so far. Is it normal for them not to answer e-mails for five days?

Almost forgot. When you want to order this shirt, put in a message saying you want the reproduction 1930s shirt made for customer reference # S43472

PM me and I'll give you my real name (Kurtz won't get you very far!;)), so you can also say you want the shirt they made for me. It will help to have my name and my customer #, then they shouldn't make any mistakes.

I accept no responsibility for any errors they make/lack of satisfaction for your orders. I can only say how well they've done my shirts.

Best,

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Just got an e-mail from them. Unfortunately they don't have cotton flannel shirtings. That's a pity. To me plain flannel shirts are a wonderful way to dress down suits. I'm sure flannel shirtings would prove popular with their regular customers from cooler regions, too.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
BK, your inbox is full. I'm about to order two of the shirts. One last question before ordering: How long are your shirts? I am 186cm/6' 1.5" and my previous shirts were 33" long. But your shirts have longer tails in the back, so maybe 33" would be a tad short?

Hi Rudie,

PMbox now cleared.

The shirt rear length measures: 37" from top of shoulder yoke, 35.25" from bottom of shoulder yoke. I am 157 cm/5' 2". These shirts, as with many originals in my neck size, come down to my knees. I suspect 37" rear length will be plenty long enough for you.

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, bk. That's a helluva long shirt. I sure don't want it to come down to my knees. Yes, 37" will be plenty.

sproily

Practically Family
This shirt business seems very interesting. I might want to order some myself as well. Maybe with an attached collar. How exactly do I contact and supply them with my measurements?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
They sent me an e-mail to clarify what collar style I want. I had used their order form and had deliberately chosen an invalid collar style to prevent them from applying all the choices I had to make in the order form. In the text field I had specified BK's name and the order number for the shirt and had asked for an exact copy made to my measurements. Obviously they chose to disregard this. So I sent them an e-mail reply to clarify not only about the collar style but the complete order, with pics of the shirts and all. That was ten days ago. No reply since then... Their customer service is far from stellar. Hemrajani Bros. or Aero are quite different in that respect.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
No, I asked them to cut the lapels and jacket in a more vintage style with wider peaked lapels. I actually went with a peaked lapel jacket with roped shoulders combined with a shawl lapel waistcoat, which apparently was all the rage in the 20's judging by some catalog scans kindly provided by another lounger in a different thread. Unfortunately I forgot to specify that I wanted smaller arm holes, but I guess we'll see what they do with that.

I also ordered a casual style shirt with button down collar and button cuffs in a tan stripe french oxford cotton, a white sea island cotton shirt with french cuffs and a wingtip collar, and a black stripe sea island cotton shirt with medium spread windsor collar and french cuffs.

What's interesting is that their standard deisgns include such details as belted backs and flapped, buttoned patch pockets, among other things. The styles listed on their site include quite a mix of modern, vintage and even western styles. I've heard good things about them, so we'll see what they can do with my request.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Any news on this front? I am itching to have new shirts.

This morning I received the order confirmation by e-mail. I ordered two shirts and they are making one first, so they can use my feedback to improve anything that's not how I want it.

Brevetti

New in Town
What's interesting is that their standard deisgns include such details as belted backs and flapped, buttoned patch pockets, among other things. The styles listed on their site include quite a mix of modern, vintage and even western styles. I've heard good things about them, so we'll see what they can do with my request.

Looking at their fabrics, they all seem to be of the typical modern superweight variety. Did you just go with one of those, or did you request something else? Do they have other fabrics than the ones listed? I like the overall website and think that the company looks promising, but like they even say on their page, the fabric is the most personal and important decision a customer must make.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Looking at their fabrics, they all seem to be of the typical modern superweight variety. Did you just go with one of those, or did you request something else? Do they have other fabrics than the ones listed? I like the overall website and think that the company looks promising, but like they even say on their page, the fabric is the most personal and important decision a customer must make.

I selected a 100% wool gabardine fabric, because after my researches I found that among those fabrics they listed, it was known as the most durable and heavy duty of the wools. I wanted to steer well clear of the "supers" because everything I've read on the FL says they're really not so super.

They actually send their head tailor around the world doing fittings and showing fabric samples, but because I'm on the other side of the world from home and want to take advantage of the customs duty exemption on the goods, I have to order them while I'm away instead of waiting until they are in my neck of the woods in early june. The duty rate is very high on clothing, so saving all the duty is a considerable savings for me. I'm exempt for $750 so that will cover most of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk