Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailors

TM

A-List Customer
Hey Baron,
Are you doing any kind of a thread about living in Hong Kong? I was there about 15 years ago (for 4 days) and loved it! Wondering how it is living there now.
Thanks!
Tony

Well, it's not really the classic, pointy collar, billowy body, gabardine-type, flapped patch chest pockets, shirt that's so popular in the vintage scene. It is a mid-to-late 50s Penney's shirt with a close-fitted body, and smallish collar.

They've done a great job on it, as expected. I had them make it in a nice vintage-ish leaf-print cotton. I'll get some pics when I have the original back next Saturday. I took in my terribly racist "Chinaman" rayon fabric today (that I bought off, I think, Dakotanorth, from classifieds, a few years ago) to have them make another copy of the Penney's shirt. Despite the slightly awkward looks from the staff, due to the dodgy stylised Chinamen on it (Hey, Hu's just along the road in Wan Chai for the celebrations, maybe they might get arrested!), they were willing to use my fabric, and knocked HK$80 off the price. Short-sleeve shirt costs HK$350. Provide your own fabric, and it costs HK$280. Very reasonable.

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I washed my shirt once and the collar is a tad tight now. I asked them to give the next one 0.5cm more slack.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Try Gordon Yao athough prices simialr to Chan. At least as good though.

kaosharper1

One Too Many

Thanks. To go back to the original reason I started this thread (as fascinating as the shirt discussion has been), will I have enough time for a suit? I'm only there three days so it would probably be just one fitting. Maybe I should just get shirts.

For a good bespoke suit, 3 days is not long enough. Get some crap down TST, and sure, they'll turn it around for you in 6 hours. But it will be a piece of sh*t. You will be hounded endlessly by people (generally pushy Indian/Pakistani guys) asking if you want "custom tailor, copy watch, copy handbags". Ignore them and shop for gold, the only thing TST has going for it other than the seafront and W. W. Chan.

I think Jantzen will turn shirts around for you in 3 days. They did on the first one I had made.

I've heard from some expats that I play football with that both are relatively difficult to deal with. Is that your experience? Are they worth visiting if one has to put up with their weirdness? They're just on the edge of my budget. On the edge enough and close enough to provincial UK prices that I may just wait until I return Blightywards if they're too annoying to deal with. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

bk

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
tbh, I would worry about a bespoke tailor who would let a suit go to a customer with only one fitting. Especially for the kind of price Chan runs to.
I most definately agree with the Baron.

To the OP: I would suggest having your first fitting at their trunk show visit in your area (Beverly Hills-July 25) and have the subsequent fittings on your visit in October.

http://www.wwchan.com/itinerary.pdf

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I most definately agree with the Baron.

To the OP: I would suggest having your first fitting at their trunk show visit in your area (Beverly Hills-July 25) and have the subsequent fittings on your visit in October.

http://www.wwchan.com/itinerary.pdf

That would be a great idea, but unfortunately I'll be out of town then. Oh well.

I wonder if he'd do it the other way around. Fit me in HK in October and do the second fitting in November when he's in Beverly Hills again?

Last edited:
I would also throw out that the reason to "Go Asian" when it comes to tailoring is the price differential. I would say that the shirtmakers here are just as good as any bar the very very top in Europe. And they're cheap.

Now, taking Chan as an example. You'll be dropping a minimum US$1200 on a Chan suit. I would think you could find a local bespoke tailor in your area who would do just as good a job. And, more importantly, you would develop a relationship with this person/business, certainly more easily than developing a relationship with one of the travelling chapies. The relationship is one of the more important things about a tailor, IMO. Just something to think about for those considering investing a large amount of cash in tailored clothes.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wonder if he'd do it the other way around. Fit me in HK in October and do the second fitting in November when he's in Beverly Hills again?
Sure, but then the suit needs to go back to HK for adjustments and if they aren't sufficent........back and forth.....

The other way, you are there with the tailors and they can make adjustments as you wait.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice guys. There is a good tailor here in Pasadena, PM Jacoy. I probably should just go with him though I'm sure its going to be a lot more expensive.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There is a good tailor here in Pasadena, PM Jacoy. I probably should just go with him though I'm sure its going to be a lot more expensive.
Yeah, but it's soooo much easier dealing with somebody local. And because you can tweak and tweak away you will usually end up with a better fit. Not to mention that free repairs and alterations are usually included for as long as you own the garment.

I wouldn't guess it would be so much more expensive to go local. when I was looking in Indiana, you were looking at around US$1000-$1500 for a decent fabric. Remember that HK$10,000 (approx) is only the starting price at Chan. For a better fabric you'll pay a lot more (and rightfully so, though around the world the tailor's markup on fabric is so ridiculous as to be veritably laughable).

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of the Jantzen shirt worn with a collar bar.I think the collar bar really makes it shine!

1920s%2520shirt.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112