Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hood or Capeline for first blocking? Fedora ~ Indy style

Kermit Jones

New in Town
Hi everyone!

I'm getting ready to block my first full open crown hat. End result will be something akin to an Akubra Fed IV and hand bashed into something akin to an Indy hat, though with a slightly shorter crown.

As I look around at different sites for my base material, the one question I have is a capeline VS a hood. Which one would you recommend to use for something with a 4.5 inch crown? Should I use a hood, and slowly form it into the initial shape? I'm assuming this will felt it a bit more which could be good or bad... Or should I short cut it and use a capeline, which will likely require less work?

Is there a difference in the long term regarding potential shrinkage? (since I'm technically shrinking parts of the hood a bit more, would that mean less worry down the road?)

Thanks a lot for the input in advance! You guys all rock. I'm very interested to learn from you.

Blessings,
Kermit

EstherWeis

Vendor
How much brim do you want?

My first bet would be to go for a capeline.
It's easier to block for a first time.
This for 2 reasons ;
You will have to pull quite a bit to get the brim nice and smooth where the crown meets the brim.
You need to go from a cone shape to a wide brim.that takes some practise.
And beware for ripping your hood, if you pull to hard some felts can rip. Depends on the quality. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to do it, it just takes a bit of blocking experience in my opinion.

Don't worry too much about the shrinkage, a good fur felt has a lot of stretchability.

It's just easier since the shape is already there.
They are more expensive but will save you a lot of worries for you first try...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Kermit Jones

New in Town
Not quite yet. I got slammed with some travel requirements at work. I return in two weeks and I planned on working through this then. Don't worry... I'll keep ya posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto