Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide and Tumbled HH

jon11

A-List Customer
As a complete novice apart from the look what is the difference between Front quarter horsehide and tumbled front quarter horsehide? do they suit different types of jackets?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It was previously explained to me that tumbled HH is regular FQHH that has been "tumbled" in a large vat to soften and assist break in of the leather.

sshack

A-List Customer
When you receive a "tumbled" jacket, does it look the same as a normal FQHH jacket in the beginning? Or is it immediately different (color, texture)?

tonypaj

Practically Family
When you receive a "tumbled" jacket, does it look the same as a normal FQHH jacket in the beginning? Or is it immediately different (color, texture)?

Mine was immediately different, texture was not the same. Colors change all the time anyway. I liked the tumbled texture, the jacket just did not fit me, so I swapped it to normal FQHH, which is great. If I could have a choice of tumbled and normal FQHH right now in a well fitting jacket, I'd take the tumbled one.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
As I understand what's been described on here before.... non tumbled FQHH will break in better over a long period of time but you get a head start with the tumbled stuff.

However, on the Aero site right now there are some examples of tumbled FQHH (TFQHH? Too much like acronym hell?) which made me wonder exactly how long you would need to break something similar in the other version to get it to that level.... and would it even be possible??

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1954

That's just another level of graining and patina. Most FQHH I've seen (including my own Aero) has smooth areas which are quite beautiful in their own way - you get great depth and marbling of colour - but I like grainy jackets too and the one pictured is off all known charts. As I mentioned, how long would you wear a brown FQHH to get it looking like that? 20 years? 30?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be honest, I once bought a Tumbled FQHH highwayman, it's really the same as regular FQHH. But if you want a pre-softened, non-smooth look, get the antique HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ