Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

Chaperon

New in Town
Thank you!

Good advice from all. I completely agree with the low-glitz non-urban cowboy approach.

You all said it much better than I did.

Any style that works looks like an extention of yourself, and not a costume.

I'm in my late 50s and am 6'3" so it's all too easy to look like I'm either reliving my youth or to get too much of a good thing going. Low key and natural are keywords I think.

I'll check out the sources and sites you suggested. Thanks for the hat lead, too. I'm pairing a very good quality Panama with those boots now and it almost but not quite works. Ok for now.

My biggest issue with hats is a simple one. I'm a 7 3/8 (59) long oval (and I mean long). Most simply won't fit. The Panama I had made and it fits perfectly. Fur felt is ok too, if soft enough to conform and a long oval to start with.

Thanks again!!!

Chaperon said:
... Are roper boots a post modern invention or an older alternate style?
Roper style boots are a more recent invention, mainly to protect calf ropers from turning their ankles doing the ground work = throwing & tying.
"By 1949, Justin had accumulated enough money--and acquired a controlling stake in the struggling family business. Convinced that cowboy boots were not a product for the past, the 33-year-old designed and launched a new model called the "roper." It featured a rounded toe that made it easier for rodeo competitors and performers to dismount from their horses."
Wranglers & Ropers are the predominant fashion of the Cutting, Reining, Reined Cowhorse world. The shirts can get pretty flamboyant in the show ring.
I personally like the more authentic look like Wah Maker, etc. = http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store http://www.tombstoneoutfitters.com/
but I started with Civil War reenacting.
Horse Town in Marietta & Sacketts in Jasper have good selections

Try...
th_IMG_0090.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
alden405 said:
img793.jpg

Remount man,Clarence Corliss recieves a gift of blessed beeds from a Tibetan monk

note the western shape on his campaign hat

This is one of my favorite "fashion" photos from the war. The bashed campaign hat, the M41 and the casual dress is, for me, iconic of America at war.

I just bought a 1944 Campaign hat for $25 at a gun show in my size and I really could be any happier.

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Thats quite the collection, some very old hats there. The red chuckwagon suit is kinda, um different, whats the story with it?
Lots of western gear here in Alberta, I have been shying away from it but I did buy a nice Biltmore western hat a couple of weeks ago...

Warbaby

One Too Many
That is one seriously fine collection of vintage western hats, Dinerman! The rest of your western gear is nothing to sneeze at either.

Here's my only vintage western shirt - my mother made it for my father when we lived in Tombstone, Arizona in the late 40s. Black satin with hand embroidery, small pearl buttons instead of snaps.

BlackSatinCow_Front2_8.jpg

BlackSatinCow_Back_8.jpg

BlackSatinCow_BackDetail1_8.jpg

Unusual angled opening on the cuffs:

BlackSatinCow_Cuff_8.jpg

At the same time she also made one for me that was a bit fancier:

BlackSatinCowR_Front_10.jpg

BlackSatinCowR_Back_10.jpg

If you've ever been to Tombstone, you'll recognize Sheep's Head Mountain.

BlackSatinCowR_BackDet_10.jpg

Pearl buttons (some now missing) over concealed snaps

BlackSatinCowR_Cuff_10.jpg

Yrs Trly in 1949

BlackSatinCowRkid_8.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby, those shirts are outstanding and the photo of your young gunslinging self is awesome.

After reading this thread I think I'll have to break out some Bob Wills and a little Ernest Tubb for my commute ride in the morning.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Great shirts, i love the whole western look, been fascinated by it since i was a kid. Actually i have a question, i have recently acquired some vintage acme cowboy boots, 50's, for the princely sum of twenty pounds, which i thought was a bargain and which i am dying to wear but they are rock solid although in vgc nonetheless, can anyone recommmend a product for restoring them to their former glory. I thought maybe saddle soap, but would welcome any suggestions.

kyboots

Practically Family
Cowboys

Guys: Nice collection of clothes! I agree with the comments earlier that Bollo's and fancy suits are out right now unless performing in a country band. A good western look is more boots ( spurs optional ), Wranglers ( ONLY )for daily use ,a good shirt( important ) and felt hats.That is a cool look that is almost always in style. Especially with us country boys in pickup trucks. John

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I will second that!!

Honey Bee said:
WOW!! You have a seriously awesome collection :eusa_clap
Since I am new here, you may have answered this but what type of music do you play?

I have a small collection of vintage kids western wear for my boys and a few pieces for myself but your collection is fabulous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff