Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I always get reactions when I'm out but I also wear a suit with a hat so I guess I stand out , but the funny thing is I've
never gotten a negative reaction ,instead I always get kodo's and most of the time its from the ladies :) .

The bottom line here is life is short so do what makes you happy ,as in my case being welled heeled is what does it for
me among other things in life.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Nicest Comment I Ever Heard thread here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22170-The-nicest-comment-I-ever-heard

Lots of replies on the above thread.

Culturally in my part of Minnesota, if folks had a negative opinion they would refrain from saying anything. The land of Lake Wobegone of Garison Keller is decidedly closer to the truth than ficticious. In fact, in close proximity conversations we look at the others shoes. ;)

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.
If what you read on the internet is on one of the social network sites, either ignore it, or just don't go there. There are some morons, trolls I think they call them, who have nothing better to do with their lives than to post insults or threats to others. Like I said, ignore them.
If you look at the thread about The Orient Express, when I caught that train, my wife and I had to walk the length of the concourse of one of London's busiest rail terminii. Everyone turned to look, some stared, people were photographing us on their phones. For all I know, we might have been Facebook's laugh of the day. I wouldn't know, never seen Facebook. So don't let assholes get to you.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Occasionally one or two will say something negative, but all you need to do is take one look at what they are wearing. If someone who is wearing pants w/ a belt holding them up at the knee caps, and a cap that is sideways has to say some witty comment to how I dress in a suit, just lets me know that they are insecure about how they look in the presence of one in a suit, or even as simple as a hat.

For me, I don't understand why people harp on hat wearers, but not cap wearers. A hat is used to keep the sun off my face and neck, whereas a cap can only keep the sun off one area.

Like Eric said, check out the "Comment" thread. Lots of nice comments in that one!

fashion frank

One Too Many
I was once at a social function and a guy came up to me and said " don't you think your a little overdressed for this ' and I
with a very deadpan face looked him right in the face and stated " no in fact I see it just the other way around , all of you
" gentlemen" are very under dressed to which he replied " you know I never thought of it like that and your right "
so there you go!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have been called a pimp and a cowboy but the negative or off-handed comments are rare. I have gotten a TON of positive feedback of people thinking it is cool or they want one. 19 yr old kid at the grocery store asked me how to fit one for his head shape the other day. I told him I better see him with a proper hat within a month lol

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
If what you read on the internet is on one of the social network sites, either ignore it, or just don't go there. There are some morons, trolls I think they call them, who have nothing better to do with their lives than to post insults or threats to others. Like I said, ignore them.
If you look at the thread about The Orient Express, when I caught that train, my wife and I had to walk the length of the concourse of one of London's busiest rail terminii. Everyone turned to look, some stared, people were photographing us on their phones. For all I know, we might have been Facebook's laugh of the day. I wouldn't know, never seen Facebook. So don't let assholes get to you.

Hello, GHT. The anti-hat comments mostly come from some other boards I visit. Sometimes I will visit the reddit fashion board and a lot of the users there have a very strong anti-fedora mantra. I have posted there some pictures with me in my hat and have gotten positive reactions but the feeling still lingers. Anyone who speaks for hats usually gets downvoted. And in another board they usually equate it to being a sexist, or a fan of MLP, or some weird stuff.. I don't really get it. And that's why I like this board, a lot of people here can see the merit in other people's style choices.

And I really like the outfit you wore. Takes a lot of guts to wear something like that, man. :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In Denmark very few wear hats - and even fewer wear classic fedoras. Caps and cheap trilbies, yes - fedoras, no. Fedora wearers are often seen as aliens over here.

I rarely wear a suit. Usually just the jacket and a pair of jeans or slacks. I don't own a tie but a lot of ascots and a few bow-ties. Whether I dress up or down, people gaze - but always with a smile and often with a nice remark.

Once I met a guy, that used to work the same place I did. He didn't recognize me and passed me, shaking his head with eyes rolling all around his head. I confronted him by his first name, and he got so embarrassed, when I asked him to explain his problem. That's the only time, though - and we ended up in a great conversation, laughing a lot :)

Back in 68 when I was 13, I was the first in the school to let the hair grow - wearing braided leather, multicolored T-shirts and suede clothes with fringes. If it's the same gene or gland that makes me dress 'weird' today, I don't know. It seems my family and some friends think so, but I don't care. That's the evidence, they claim [huh]

Anyway, be yourself and dress as you like. As splintercellsz says: Look around you and you'll notice that 'normal' has very wide boundaries - some of which are a lot less attractive. Be proud, you've got the guts ;)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
There comes a point where you have to just get over whatever hold you back. I struggled badly wearing my hat the first year or so of being a fedora owner. I would take it off before going in places or just feel like everyone was staring at me. Eventually you reach a point where you realize that wearing hats make you happy and damn anybody who doesn't want you to be happy

g.durand

One Too Many
HamilcarBarca3--my guess is the people in Walmart that were sending you looks were just curious. As you say, hat wearing in the USA (other than the baseball cap) is unusual today, so we stand out from the crowd a little bit, but by and large I think most people really don't care one way or another. I've received the gangster comment a couple of times (from my brother no less) and I get the Indiana Jones comment from time to time. Those comments are just born of a lack of knowledge (sorry, bro). I've read some of those same negative comments elsewhere on the internet but I wouldn't give them much weight since they most likely come from people who may have problems that are more serious than being bothered by people who wear hats. Like Frank, the reactions I get are mostly from women, and when one ventures a comment they are very positive. I like to think that those who send glances my way really just want the courage to break away from social and peer pressure and wear a hat!

g.durand

One Too Many
There comes a point where you have to just get over whatever hold you back. I struggled badly wearing my hat the first year or so of being a fedora owner. I would take it off before going in places or just feel like everyone was staring at me. Eventually you reach a point where you realize that wearing hats make you happy and damn anybody who doesn't want you to be happy

Well said!

facade

A-List Customer
As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

If you are wearing a fedora and no one is stealing peeks, its time for a new hat.

I get people looking all the time. I would say curiosity is most people's reaction. When they feel emboldened to comment, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. However I do make an effort to stay away from movie-inspired or costumey looks which helps shield me from the Indy/gangster etc. comments.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
Cowboy hats are very common here, so my Akubra outback hats (Cattleman, The Boss) fit in quite well. Straw, or cloth, trilbys are often seen in hot weather and so my Panama doesn't draw too much attention. Fedoras are another matter. People definitely take a second look at the Fed IV, or just about any other felt fedora. I honestly don't give a hoot what people think these days...

Qvist

Familiar Face
When I asked my missus, do I look silly or stupid wearin a hat, she said I look a bit odd but if wearing a hat makes me happy, I should wear one. So I wear a hat and don´t give a damn what other people think.

Banky

One of the Regulars
It's been my experience as a younger guy that the more comfortable you are wearing a hat the less people take notice. I wear a fedora everyday at this point, hats are a part of who I am beyond it just being part of how I make a living. I don't think twice about having a hat on and I think at this point the people I'm in daily contact with could care less either. That all being said trust me when I say Reddit is full of teenagers and twenty somethings with nothing better to do, at the end of the day their opinions are shallow and oft times misinformed.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Most people don't care one way or the other. Most actually like it. But I do get the occasional person who raises questions about it in one way or another. I do my best to answer, but it's not easy when these people have their own, preconceived notions, if you get my drift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk