Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Today, I saw one of ours (man), circa in his 40s, with his left arm in a arm-sling, looking kind of depressed, but walking in a really cool-relaxed way, I tell you! Classic blue-jeans, unidentifiable kind of dark-blue jacket AND good old, worn traveller-hat, seemingly hazelnut-coloured leather!!

He looks really cool! He got this aura of real cowboy-coolness. :)

I'm not usually a member of the well dressed set. I've worn cowboy hats for yrs & just more recently started wearing other styles when I want a narrower brim. My close friends all know a hat is just a part of me; my casual acquaintances sometimes have asked me if I'm bald under my hat; the rest I don't care about. When I let my beard grow long that is what become the lightening rod for people who don't even know me. And that doesn't bother me either.

Yesterday, doing last minute shopping at the K-rogers, wearing my Resistol beaver 25 OR clone, a butcher there said "that's a nice hat, a real nice one." The man knows how to cut meat and has good taste as well. My kinda guy.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Criticism isn't always a bad thing. The other day I was wearing my BG Campdraft with brown boots, olive-green corduroy pants, brown belt, tan Military-looking shirt, and dark brown jacket with a dark green tartan tie. I thought it was a cool look, with a slightly military swagger, but when I got home my wife opined that I looked like a Scoutmaster. Kind of took the wind out of my sails, but, to be honest, she was right.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
But the other night took the cake. I was at a musical performance at the high school and I left my hat in the foyer on top of the coat racks. It was raining outside, so wearing a hat was not out of place in the least. Anyway, I come out at intermission only to find a bunch of teenaged boys tossing my hat around, trying it on, jamming it on each other's heads, etc. I was dumbstruck. Finally I marched over to them and said "Children! Hat please." They immediately straightened up and sheepishly handed it to me.
Yes, an unattended hat seems to be a temptation some can't resist. I was in a pub with friends, some years ago now, and had left my hat on a shelf at the side of the room; we were never far away, but suddenly I became aware that a small group of girls were trying it on and posing in it. I said, "Excuse me, that's my hat". The current wearer said, "It was left there". I said, "No, it was put there!" and retrieved it. If one had asked nicely, I might have let her try it on, but it gets me when they treat it as their own property.

Criticism isn't always a bad thing. The other day I was wearing my BG Campdraft with brown boots, olive-green corduroy pants, brown belt, tan Military-looking shirt, and dark brown jacket with a dark green tartan tie. I thought it was a cool look, with a slightly military swagger, but when I got home my wife opined that I looked like a Scoutmaster. Kind of took the wind out of my sails, but, to be honest, she was right.

You gotta respect the better half, right Bob?

Hal

Practically Family
...In the last year: had a young women point at me and yell "a hat! A hat!" And then start laughing. About a month later a drunk stumbled up to me and said, in German, "I see by your hat that you are English". But the other night took the cake. I was at a musical performance at the high school and I left my hat in the foyer on top of the coat racks. It was raining outside, so wearing a hat was not out of place in the least. Anyway, I come out at intermission only to find a bunch of teenaged boys tossing my hat around, trying it on, jamming it on each other's heads, etc. I was dumbstruck. Finally I marched over to them and said "Children! Hat please." They immediately straightened up and sheepishly handed it to me. One even approached me later and apologized...(To be balanced, I must also add that, the other day, a young woman at work went out of her way to say how good my hat looked and that she likes hats on men.)
When one considers the traditional hats of Austria, Bavaria and adjoining parts, the reactions you got seem very odd to me. But you handled all these situations well. People seem quite oblivious of the fact that a wearing a hat is a practicality in rain, cold or strong sunshine; but let's hope that the more we all wear a hat, the more others will be inclined to do so as well.

Last edited:
Summer 2014:
I was in another town, not far from my town, to visit a nice little art-vernisage with an additional little art-fashion-show. Before the beginning, I was waiting at the building for a female friend of mine, which didn't came. I weared a classic darker blue-jeans, a (way cool-looking) olive-coloured T-Shirt from Wrangler and my what was then classic pork-pie summer-hat (just made of paper).
Another girl came along, passed me backwards and says "Hello.", when I was looking in another direction to look after my friend. I turned around and greeted her back. I saw, she' s a girl, I know from another vernisage, november 2013. She's an artist and making felt-things and headwear, too. She's a nice 42 years old girl. ;)

I think, I was looking kind of interesting, because of my hat.

Sol James

New in Town
I had a comment passed my way on Saturday night. My band was playing and I'd worked up a bit of a sweat. As I wiped my brow with a towel, I without realising, knocked my hat So it was tilting backwardsand and the brim flipped up. I was unaware as I was performing. A good friend of mine told me during the interval he preferred it that way rather than my usual front brim snapped down and side to side tilt kind of style.
I've since had a look in the mirror and it certainly has a much more laid back style but arguably a bit more "hipster". Who knew the same hat could be worn n so many different ways.

Gabe Long

One of the Regulars
I had a comment passed my way on Saturday night. My band was playing and I'd worked up a bit of a sweat. As I wiped my brow with a towel, I without realising, knocked my hat So it was tilting backwardsand and the brim flipped up. I was unaware as I was performing. A good friend of mine told me during the interval he preferred it that way rather than my usual front brim snapped down and side to side tilt kind of style.
I've since had a look in the mirror and it certainly has a much more laid back style but arguably a bit more "hipster". Who knew the same hat could be worn n so many different ways.

"Cock your hat -- angles are attitude" -Chairman of the Board

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My mother saw my dirty old hat I wore yesterday and asked if I felt shame to wear it on that condition.
I said a firm... NO.
Then she said that I could wash it.
Again a NO.
I love the way it looks.
20151130.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
...A good friend of mine told me during the interval he preferred it that way rather than my usual front brim snapped down and side to side tilt kind of style...it certainly has a much more laid back style but arguably a bit more "hipster". Who knew the same hat could be worn n so many different ways.
But do you WANT to look more "laid back"?

Sol James

New in Town
Well Most of the time I'm dressed quite casual really, so yeah, laid back is ok with me.

Joao, as a new member to this forum, it's my opinion that you are the best hat wearer here! There are many greats in here but Joao looks like a geezer! I'd love to get away with some of the massive hats you wear..

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I understand what you are saying, I love my hat brim up and I have also become very weary of the "hipster" tag, but as a future poster pointed out Sinatra was the king of angles and different ways to wear a hat and he was about as anti-hipster as you can get. Don't get caught up in labels, just wear the hat the way you enjoy it

Yes, an unattended hat seems to be a temptation some can't resist. I was in a pub with friends, some years ago now, and had left my hat on a shelf at the side of the room; we were never far away, but suddenly I became aware that a small group of girls were trying it on and posing in it. I said, "Excuse me, that's my hat". The current wearer said, "It was left there". I said, "No, it was put there!" and retrieved it. If one had asked nicely, I might have let her try it on, but it gets me when they treat it as their own property.
And to think......some folks would've considered you the I'll mannered one had you just kept it on your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm