Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Knotten

Practically Family
A week ago I was waiting for a train when a guy came up to me, pointed at my Akubra Sydney and said, "Hey, Tom Landry." The Sydney has a 2 1/2 inch brim. As memory serves, Landry wore something much stingier. I was going to pleasantly point this out to him when he started to slowly unzip his jacket. I watched with trepidation, then was relieved when it turned out he just wanted me to see the Dallas Cowboys sweatshirt he had on underneath. Apparently still convinced I was Tom Landry, he started talking to me about the infamous "catch" last season. I was happy to learn he was taking a different train than the one I needed.

Of course, it was New Year's Eve, which probably explained a lot.

Last edited:
This was a new one for me. Last night as I was entering the local supermarket I saw a man who I'd guess was in his early- to mid-30s wearing a very nice darkish brown fur felt Western-style hat with a braided-leather band. A few minutes later I passed him in one of the aisles, and when he saw the Tawny Fawn Fed IV I was wearing he smiled broadly, said, "Heeeyyyy", and pointed at my hat as he brought his right hand up to touch the brim of his hat (in one smooth motion) as he passed. On occasion I've had people stop me to inquire about whichever hat I was wearing, or just to engage in a conversation about hats in general, but so far this was the most exuberant reaction I've received.

Knotten

Practically Family
I've been asked to MC a rather large event this coming Thursday. After having finished preparations and finalized the script for the event, I received this email from the organizer explaining in part why they asked me:

"Thank you so much and we are really looking forward to meeting you. Especially me! I was taken with you when I found your Face book photo and your “hat”. My father always wore hats – old school he was and I was thrilled to see you in a hat. We buried the hat with my dad when he passed…Dad couldn’t go to heaven without it!"

Mr. Pickett

Familiar Face
Just got back from watching the Revenant with my parents. As we left the cinema, my mother told me that she and dad had been joking during the film that I'd want all the hats that were worn. Despite the fact they were mostly ushanka-style fur hoods worn by the trappers. I'll admit I certainly wouldn't turn down the offer to own one, but still... How little they know. :rolleyes:

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
How do folks react to my hat wearing?? They deny that I'm actually wearing a hat!

Last week my wife and I visited the Red Star Line museum in Antwerp. Thinking my wife had already gone up I went up the stairs to the observation platform. My wife, actually behind me, asked the watchman if a man in a hat went up the stairs. His response: 'A man did go up, but he wasn't wearing a hat................

I guess the hat looks very natural on me or something like that o_O

How do folks react to my hat wearing?? They deny that I'm actually wearing a hat!

Last week my wife and I visited the Red Star Line museum in Antwerp. Thinking my wife had already gone up I went up the stairs to the observation platform. My wife, actually behind me, asked the watchman if a man in a hat went up the stairs. His response: 'A man did go up, but he wasn't wearing a hat................

That's a little un-nerving, Serge. WHAT ELSE do you suppose he might have been looking at?!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
my hat mostly plays second fiddle to my beard as far as what folks seem to notice and comment on

I could be wearing a jester hat on fire and cats would still say ... "hey great beard dude"

it gets old... but a simple thank you usually follows ... unless they have a beard as well ... then I usually say ... you as well

That's a little un-nerving, Serge. WHAT ELSE do you suppose he might have been looking at?!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

my hat mostly plays second fiddle to my beard as far as what folks seem to notice and comment on

I could be wearing a jester hat on fire and cats would still say ... "hey great beard dude"

it gets old... but a simple thank you usually follows ... unless they have a beard as well ... then I usually say ... you as well

The first time my wife and I went on vacation together was Cancun. We were shopping in the market (bazaar), where they can be fairly aggressive compared to shopping in the States. Since I was wearing a concert tour t-shirt that featured "Cincinnati" on it prominently, I somehow be came "Cincinnati Whiskers," which, due to the accent, became "Ceencinnati Wheeskers!" She still calls me that occasionally.

See my beard
Ain't it Weird?
Don't be skeered,
It's just a beard!
- G. Carlin

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
well, last Friday, I was stopped by a young woman, who stated that she wanted my VS Porkie, as she loved it so much... and Sunday, at a Modern Jive class, there were 3 gents drooling over my Black Sheep Hat Works Porkie.. so, I guess that's a result.. ;)

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many

When I first read this comment I mentally translated the name of the museum to the White Star Line and thought, "Well, that explains why the watchman on the Titanic couldn't see a freakin' iceberg if another watchman didn't even see a hat on the head of a man who just passed by."

Had a chance to chat with a couple of Amish men in a waiting room this morning. Both had big black hats - modern era, of course, which they purchase at a grocery market near them. I thought how nice it would be if Wegmans had a hat department. I wished I had brought a big black hat to share, but it was very windy and I had an old 8 panel cap which they were kind enough to admire. A very nice encounter.

When I first read this comment I mentally translated the name of the museum to the White Star Line and thought, "Well, that explains why the watchman on the Titanic couldn't see a freakin' iceberg if another watchman didn't even see a hat on the head of a man who just passed by."
Hey, that's a new twist. Maybe they didn't see the iceberg because it was wearing a hat. :p

EstherWeis

Vendor

Hahaha, don't worry. That's just typical.
I've actually saw one sleeping on his chair once...
People from Antwerp can be rather weird in their reactions, we have the worst reputation...
I can see why :D

Hey! He was wearing some killer shoes that day! :)

Ah yes, Emmanuel gets the moustache comment often.
He can be wearing a 3 piece suit and a hat and people always comment on the moustache.
A girl once came up to him at a concert and tried to pull on it to see if it was real...
Nowadays they are more accepting since the whole hipster moustache rage thing though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112