Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Last week I was wearing my trenchcoat and as always a fedora. While I was thinking I was channeling my inner Bogart a couple of kids rode by on their bikes and I overheard them saying "look, it's Inspector Gadget!"
Had never thought of that one before, but it did make my day. That'll teach me not to take myself too seriously.;)
I always try & remember that several generations have grown up since Bogart was in the public eye.

Hal

Practically Family
Last week I was wearing my trenchcoat and as always a fedora...my inner Bogart..Inspector Gadget...That'll teach me not to take myself too seriously.
Perhaps! But if you'd worn a tweed hat with brim turned-down all round (what the Americans call an Irish walking hat) you might have got "Inspector Clouseau". These hat/coat combinations may be clichés, but that's because they are classics and so they work.

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have been trying to talk walks during my office breaks and lunch. People I see along the walk have come to know me and my hats. Sometimes on my way back to the office I grab an unsweetened iced tea at McD's to take back with me. I suppose the people at McD have grown accustomed to my hats as well. In fact, on our way to a medical appointment, MrsFed and I went through the drive-through and ordered some drinks for the road. The young woman who brought our drinks to the window said, "I didn't recognize you without your hat!" To which I replied, "They are on the back seat!"

I have been trying to talk walks during my office breaks and lunch. People I see along the walk have come to know me and my hats. Sometimes on my way back to the office I grab an unsweetened iced tea at McD's to take back with me. I suppose the people at McD have grown accustomed to my hats as well. In fact, on our way to a medical appointment, MrsFed and I went through the drive-through and ordered some drinks for the road. The young woman who brought our drinks to the window said, "I didn't recognize you without your hat!" To which I replied, "They are on the back seat!"

You have ARRIVED, Doug!!!

When you're feelin' it always keep this in mind also:

3de1b903c8.jpg

Last week I was wearing my trenchcoat and as always a fedora. While I was thinking I was channeling my inner Bogart a couple of kids rode by on their bikes and I overheard them saying "look, it's Inspector Gadget!"
Had never thought of that one before, but it did make my day. That'll teach me not to take myself too seriously.;)
Internet meme updated.

Fedora_Meme_Updated_zpsrmutnuqg.jpg

:D

I look nothing like Bogart, and I can't recall ever having owned a trench coat, so I have no illusions that I look like anything other than what I am - a 55-year-old hippie in a hat.

Internet meme updated.

Fedora_Meme_Updated_zpsrmutnuqg.jpg

:D

I look nothing like Bogart, and I can't recall ever having owned a trench coat, so I have no illusions that I look like anything other than what I am - a 55-year-old hippie in a hat.
That pretty much sums it up nicely. Judging by the comments it happens to us all and we take in in our stride, because there's always that little bit of the ghost of Bogart shining through (wether people remember him or not).

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Inspector Gadget and Indiana Jones... Apparently these are the only references underdressed people know. Although comments are rare, I do get stares and subtle picture taking. I wear a suit and fedora to travel, and get compliments from airport staff and stewardesses ("It's so nice to see a gentleman dress again."). I wore a sear sucker and straw hat once, and a few "kids" walking behind me in the terminal started whistling Dixie...They thought they were being snarky - but I was glad I elicited the thought. I believe if I can make one person (man or woman) think twice about the crap they wear in public, I did my good deed for the day.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
It's funny how people come up with their remarks. Indiana Jones, Panama Bob (probably because I wear a lot of Hawaiian and Guayabera shirts), Inspector Gadget, Juan Valdez and a very few say something about "Bogey."

I sent birthday pics to my musician friends in Orlando and one responded about the Bogey hat and my beard (Grizzly Adams), so I said I was shooting for the ZZ Top/Detective Frank Drebin look.

William G.

One of the Regulars
I was wearing my Akubra Balmoral at physical therapy a couple of weeks ago an older guy in the lobby stopped me at the door to ask if I had been "riding a horsey". Personally, I don't think it looks anything like a cowboy hat (my Akubra Snowy River, on the other hand...), but you guys can judge by the picture.

That said, I've seen quite a few jabs on social media about people who "haven't earned" their cowboy hat, including a very vicious post aimed at a police officer. I don't know what's spurred it, or if I've just become more self-conscious ever since my run-in at therapy, but I find the whole idea ridiculous. Is there a bigger trend I'm missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ