Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

People are odd. Where I work, many of the officers wear ball caps with their uniforms. I'm not an officer, I'm medical. However, a baseball cap is pretty ubiquitous in American society. Still... I keep getting comments like, "Is this your new look?" and "what's with all the dressing up?" Oh! And the ones I hate the most, "You look like Trump" and "Is that a Trump hat?"

Apparently, before Donald Trump's presidential campaign NO ONE EVER wore a baseball cap. Does this really look all that strange to people?
Not at all, but, y'know, many people seem to have an inability to keep their thoughts and opinions to themselves. :rolleyes:

That being said, the symbols we wear on our clothing are often perceived by others as some form of statement. As such, people see the American flag on your cap and immediately begin to wonder what you're trying to say by wearing it. "Is he a Trump supporter?" "Is he former military?" "Is he showing support for our troops?" "Is he being patriotic?" Their comments, and your reaction to them, often help them to figure that out. Of course, other times they're screwing with you just to get a reaction. :D

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I love when people tell me my flag is backwards. They become quiet when i reply that it is the flag that lived on my shoulder during my Afghan tour. Some people just like to make everyone's business their own
e4544e13aa983abbf9b7af5a4d16dc4a.jpg
769921d0777b63fb2a662ee2c3852aaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
At the dentist's office today, the 3 of us were in the waiting room. All of us had on Cuenca toquilla straw hats. Me with a white brisa weave, MrsFed with a great navy colored straw with a navy ribbon and a pink highlight on the bow, and Lil' Fed with one of her b-day hats, a double twisted weave of brown and cream colored straw.

The dental surgeon's assistant came out to get MrsFed and immediately said, "Ooooh, what a great hat.... ohhhhh, you all have hats! How wonderful!" I chipped in, "all from our trip to Ecuador," and she was just all smiles. What a nice, sincere, response. Fun stuff... again.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I love when people tell me my flag is backwards. They become quiet when i reply that it is the flag that lived on my shoulder during my Afghan tour. Some people just like to make everyone's business their own
e4544e13aa983abbf9b7af5a4d16dc4a.jpg

769921d0777b63fb2a662ee2c3852aaf.jpg
Did you know that the British flag has a right way & wrong way on the flagpole? Most people think it's the same inverted, not so. See here: http://projectbritain.com/geography/unionjack7.html

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Did you know that the British flag has a right way & wrong way on the flagpole? Most people think it's the same inverted, not so. See here: http://projectbritain.com/geography/unionjack7.html

I never saw that before. Never noticed there are broad strips and thin strips on the British flag.
Thanks!

I have seen people with the American flag sewn on uniforms backwards. I even saw a guy with the US flag tattooed on his shoulder backwards. The stars are never in retreat. Whatever direction the flag is moving, the field of stars should be in front. So there are US flags both ways but it depends which shoulder it's on to determine which way is backwards. I suppose the same holds true for the Union Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love when people tell me my flag is backwards. They become quiet when i reply that it is the flag that lived on my shoulder during my Afghan tour. Some people just like to make everyone's business their own[

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Tell 'em the flag's OK, but they're inverted.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
When I was in Philadelphia a week and a half ago, dolled up makeshift anachronistically as I usually am, replete with my recently acquired 'Mediterraneaner', a woman stopped me on the street and told me that she liked my, "whole look," (quotation marks might be presumptuous; it was a passing incident a few days ago an I just downed a Manhattan) and asked to take my picture on the steps of St. John the Evangelist Church. That was the first time that happened to me, but I refused as, at the time, I was in a genuine hurry to catch a train from Market East (A check from the university bought it the name 'Jefferson Station' for the time being) that made only by a few minutes. (That's not bad timing, really; I don't enjoy lingering on platforms at length) Yet, had I not been hurrying, I might still have declined; for whatever reason, I like adorning myself as preposterously as I do, but I don't like attention and certainly don't care to make a public exhibition of myself. (A year or so ago, I declined a request from the administrative assistant in our office, who enjoys photography, to pose for some pictures)

Maybe I should just trade it all in for a black baseball cap and a grey sweatsuit.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took my kids to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA yesterday. Since it was a Sunday around 1/3 of the others their were orthodox Jewish families. While in line for one of the rides one of the guys in front of me way eyeing my Akubra Campdraft and asked me where it was from. I told him it was an Akubra and he said he'd never heard of them before but said his parents run a hat shop in NYC. We got to talking and had a good conversation about hats. I mentioned Borsalinos as I thought that was what most of the orthodox hat wearers wore. According to him there's only one hat seller licensed to sell Borso's so his parents get their hat bodies from Spain and Eastern Europe so I said "do you get some from Tonak?" He was shocked that I would know anything about Tonak. We also talked about how orthodox hat wearing works. They (his brother and a multitude of small children were with them) said that hat style, crown height and brim width for the orthodox depend on what your father and grandfather wore. If your grandfather wore a homburg with a 2" brim that's what you would wear. They did say that after a few generations many will end up wearing whatever they want (different colors, brim widths, etc...) and leave some of the specific hat traditions behind. It's always interesting to learn more about different cultures.

I'm kicking myself for not asking the name of his parents shop. Anyone have an idea which shop it would be? They said it was a small, old school place in NYC that doesn't have an internet presence. I think their main client base would be the orthodox Jewish community.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I took my kids to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA yesterday. Since it was a Sunday around 1/3 of the others their were orthodox Jewish families. While in line for one of the rides one of the guys in front of me way eyeing my Akubra Campdraft and asked me where it was from. I told him it was an Akubra and he said he'd never heard of them before but said his parents run a hat shop in NYC. We got to talking and had a good conversation about hats. I mentioned Borsalinos as I thought that was what most of the orthodox hat wearers wore. According to him there's only one hat seller licensed to sell Borso's so his parents get their hat bodies from Spain and Eastern Europe so I said "do you get some from Tonak?" He was shocked that I would know anything about Tonak. We also talked about how orthodox hat wearing works. They (his brother and a multitude of small children were with them) said that hat style, crown height and brim width for the orthodox depend on what your father and grandfather wore. If your grandfather wore a homburg with a 2" brim that's what you would wear. They did say that after a few generations many will end up wearing whatever they want (different colors, brim widths, etc...) and leave some of the specific hat traditions behind. It's always interesting to learn more about different cultures.

I'm kicking myself for not asking the name of his parents shop. Anyone have an idea which shop it would be? They said it was a small, old school place in NYC that doesn't have an internet presence. I think their main client base would be the orthodox Jewish community.
Man, that's so cool. I'm left wondering which hat shop it is, too. But what an awesome conversation!

andrew_AU

A-List Customer

Could it be Bencraft Hatters in Brooklyn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points