Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
There is an article about Bencraft Hatters here and a really interesting video too

http://forward.com/articles/177783/old-school-brooklyn-hat-store-keeps-hasids-and-hip/

best hat shop in NY ... without a doubt
I try to get there at least 3 or 4 times a year .
even though it's about a half hour away there just never seems to be enough time to get over the bridge .
may Stanley Rest In Peace

b3c4d919f3d48dd352de10b76809808f.jpg

32eeb9d2e4d44219528755daf823bf70.jpg

a16762b81b2caa5deadc166943d65f87.jpg

89e00397ca8fb1231a487e7241f7fec9.jpg

03306fda303f0a97e7070aae8e4b64b4.jpg

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

best hat shop in NY ... without a doubt
I try to get there at least 3 or 4 times a year .
even though it's about a half hour away there just never seems to be enough time to get over the bridge .
may Stanley Rest In Peace

b3c4d919f3d48dd352de10b76809808f.jpg

32eeb9d2e4d44219528755daf823bf70.jpg

a16762b81b2caa5deadc166943d65f87.jpg

89e00397ca8fb1231a487e7241f7fec9.jpg

03306fda303f0a97e7070aae8e4b64b4.jpg

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
A proper hatter. Wow look at all those Borsalino boxes!

JoeDaddy

New in Town
I've never had a unkind comment about my hat(s). They are usually "Nice Hat", or "I like the hat".
Every once in a while, usually in the winter, I will announce "Hat Day!" as we leave the house, so every one must grab a hat off the hat rack. I have a few grey/black/brown vintage fedoras or pork pies to choose from.
One day (a 'Hat day'), I was going a little fast on a city street, and as I came around the corner, I spotted the officer with the radar gun.... I pulled over. The female officer came up. Myself and my daughter each had our hats on. I told her "I know I was going too fast, but I would hate to get a ticket on 'Hat Day' ". She looked at us, and said we 'looked good', and to "slow down on this road, and have a nice day" .... no ticket. So, A sharp looking fedora will get you out of a ticket.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I was complimented about my clothing twice this week, one was at Church on Sunday when I was told how smart I was looking by a number of the congregation, male & female, I was wearing a light grey two piece suit, white shirt, grey/maroon tie and a mid grey long sleeve Vee Neck wool sweater, plus of course my Fedora Hat. The second occasion was on Monday at a local railway station, by one of the railway train guards. I was wearing my Fedora, dark slacks, smart shirt and leather waistcoat. The guard was looking smart too, in his uniform cap which he had embellished with a couple of feathers, he was wearing a railway uniform short sleeved shirt and had some lovely tattoos on his arms. It is always nice to receive compliments and to give compliments when appropriate too.

I've never had a unkind comment about my hat(s). They are usually "Nice Hat", or "I like the hat".
Every once in a while, usually in the winter, I will announce "Hat Day!" as we leave the house, so every one must grab a hat off the hat rack. I have a few grey/black/brown vintage fedoras or pork pies to choose from.
One day (a 'Hat day'), I was going a little fast on a city street, and as I came around the corner, I spotted the officer with the radar gun.... I pulled over. The female officer came up. Myself and my daughter each had our hats on. I told her "I know I was going too fast, but I would hate to get a ticket on 'Hat Day' ". She looked at us, and said we 'looked good', and to "slow down on this road, and have a nice day" .... no ticket. So, A sharp looking fedora will get you out of a ticket.

Awesome story and GREAT picture!!!!!!!
Cheers,
M

Uhu

Familiar Face
Rainy day earlier this week, wore my vintage Sears Pilgrim, nice classic fedora but not one of my best, got more compliments and smiles from strangers than usual. I think the rain makes people appreciate the value of a good wide brimmed hat. That's been the norm wherever I go. Then I see articles perpetuating fedora-hate like this one, and I have to laugh. Writer says fedoras make people sad, as evidence he shows people wearing hats that aren't fedoras, tops it off by recommending a tacky wide brimmed (Faux Quaker? -- he calls it a fedora, too!) hat. For $580! Ridiculous! http://mashable.com/2016/04/20/fedora-hat-ugly/#mq94nrOU0uqh

Rainy day earlier this week, wore my vintage Sears Pilgrim, nice classic fedora but not one of my best, got more compliments and smiles from strangers than usual. I think the rain makes people appreciate the value of a good wide brimmed hat. That's been the norm wherever I go. Then I see articles perpetuating fedora-hate like this one, and I have to laugh. Writer says fedoras make people sad, as evidence he shows people wearing hats that aren't fedoras, tops it off by recommending a tacky wide brimmed (Faux Quaker? -- he calls it a fedora, too!) hat. For $580! Ridiculous! http://mashable.com/2016/04/20/fedora-hat-ugly/#mq94nrOU0uqh
Clueless hipster rant. Not a true fedora in the bunch, except for the Bogart image.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
what's funny is that not one hat pictured is a fedora

Uhu

Familiar Face
Yup, paid to write articles on subjects he obviously knows nothing about. It might have been interesting if he'd familiarized himself with the subject, worn a fedora in the manner a fedora is meant to be worn and reported on his experience, as we do. But that would take time and effort, and he already has an unfounded opinion, and objective journalism is dead, so why bother?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yup, paid to write articles on subjects he obviously knows nothing about. It might have been interesting if he'd familiarized himself with the subject, worn a fedora in the manner a fedora is meant to be worn and reported on his experience, as we do. But that would take time and effort, and he already has an unfounded opinion, and objective journalism is dead, so why bother?
people paid to write about things they know nothing about ... ?

... ya don't say

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch