Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do loungers deal with extreme cold weather?

Fifty150

One Too Many
It's a cold, wet, windy day here in Norte Califas. I'm getting ready to go out. A winter essential for me is the "union suit".

Today's costume will include a Pendleton shirt for insulation, under my A-2 which will protect me from the wind and rain. What really works for me, for lower body warmth, is a quilted pants liner. This is like stuffing a poncho liner into your pants. Even when my jeans get soaked, my legs are still warm and dry.
[video=youtube;ShxdN6uVEFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShxdN6uVEFI[/video]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
WWII M-69 Transport Coat
179890_10150101522305909_630485908_6194852_4305688_n.jpg

WWII Tropal Coat
12935_213297555908_630485908_3004176_424803_n.jpg

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
I usually brave cold elements in a sweater with either a tweed or wool sport coat and a wool overcoat. Keeps me nice and warm although I only have regular slacks so my legs often freeze. I really must get some corduroy or tweed pants to stay as warm as possible........

Hal

Practically Family
A winter essential for me is the union suit...What really works for me, for lower body warmth, is a quilted pants liner...Even when my jeans get soaked, my legs are still warm and dry.
You are absolutely right to look after the lower part of the body, which is frequently neglected or forgotten - I prefer a proper overcoat to a jacket any day as an outer layer in cold weather for this reason (here I refer to everyday, not expedition, wear). The surface area of the legs is 36% of that of the body's surface area, so they will be a big heat drain unless properly insulated, even if one may not feel cold in the legs. Especially as there have been many comments on the undesirability of cotton in this thread, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many wear unlined jeans as their sole garment over the legs, particularly when the outer coat is a short jacket.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
I don't know why so many people go out wearing a sweater and giant coat, but only a thin pair of jeans. Especially women. My girlfriend wears those expensive designer jeans even in the snow. Then she complains about cold.

Fifty150

One Too Many
51 degrees today. A typical Barbary Coast summer day. The wife was out with a long wool coat.......over a mini skirt & tank top. She wants to be able to take off the coat, and look "hot" like all the other girls on the dance floor. She complains about the cold. But it doesn't occur to her that her that wind is blowing right up her coat, and she's practically naked underneath. Yours truly had the urban uniform of baggy jeans & a hoodie. And no, we don't have a neighborhood watch. So I guess I dodged that bullet.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Cold weather? That's easy. Warm boots, jeans, shirt, pullover, shawl, thick padded leather-jacket, gloves, and a nice warm cap, covering my ears. That's it.

J.W.

A-List Customer
When it's really, really cold: Thick woolen army socks, Jeans, maybe some long underpants (but my legs don't get cold so easily) long-sleeved t-shirt, a shirt, a woolen sweater, merino wool scarf, Barbour Beaufort with liner and a woolen cap. I don't have winter boots, but go with my greased army or biker boots. Luckily, winters here in my part of Germany are only rarely really cold. Last year was one of those bad years.

Hal

Practically Family
Cold weather? That's easy. Warm boots, jeans, shirt, pullover, shawl, thick padded leather-jacket, gloves, and a nice warm cap, covering my ears. That's it.
When it's really, really cold: Thick woolen army socks, Jeans, maybe some long underpants (but my legs don't get cold so easily) long-sleeved t-shirt, a shirt, a woolen sweater, merino wool scarf, Barbour Beaufort with liner and a woolen cap. I don't have winter boots, but go with my greased army or biker boots.
Jeans? As "default" trousers? No insulation/warmth in them at all, just as Fifty150 has said. And the legs are a big heat drain whether they feel cold or not. Jeans are also too hot in warm weather. They may have their practical uses; but as weather protection, in my view they are near to useless.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Here in Canada the traditional or Fedora Lounge friendly way to dress would be as follows:

Red flannel long johns with glass buttons, classically Stanfield's. White cotton shirt. Wool or silk necktie. Wool socks. 3 piece wool or tweed suit. In very cold weather substitute a pullover for the waistcoat. Thick soled leather Oxfords.

When going outside add a hat, woolen overcoat, leather gloves, wool or silk scarf, and possibly rubbers or galoshes to protect the shoes from snow and slush.

Prior to 1930 cars carriages and streetcars were not heated. When one went out for a drive, one dressed the same as for going for a walk. Modern houses had steam heat or coal furnaces. Stores schools and offices were heated but only to 50 or 60 degrees.

The above would be for the middle class town or city dweller. For working men and rural areas there were other ways to keep warm.

Stanfield's history

http://www.stanfields.com/about-us

Stanfield's two layer combination

http://www.stanfields.com/men/underwear/combs/two-layer-comb.html

Red long johns are endorsed by scripture:

She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

Proverbs 31:21

J.W.

A-List Customer
Jeans? As "default" trousers? No insulation/warmth in them at all, just as Fifty150 has said. (Too hot in warm weather, too). They may have their practical uses; but as weather protection, in my view near to useless.

As I said: my legs don't get cold easily and I must confess: I'm a jeans-person. although I'm trying to get away from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112