Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

CataWhatas

New in Town
I don't own a winter coat actually. I've never found one that fits without looking silly. Plus, I'm frequently nursing or pregnant, so fitted coats don't work.

I have Gramma's cape. Wool and angora, she spun the yarn, then knitted and felted it into fabric. Warmest outerwear I've found, covers everything, and easily snuggles a baby. Plus, it's a glorious deep red color.

For extreme cold - silk stockings, split bloomers, wool socks, water proof leather boots, silk slip, a wool skirt, one or two under skirts, long line bra, silk under shirt, turtle neck, sweater, cardigan, heavy full coverage apron, an extra tichel or two, the cape, a large, snuggly shawl, a large scarf, and lined wool mittens. I was toasty warm with that in wind chills in the -25* range.

That being said, in normal winter, skirt, slip, tights, bloomers, socks, undershirt, normal shirt, sweater and shawl or cape are plenty warm.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
My favorite winter ware fleeced lined leggings. I know some of you are saying, oh no not the dreaded leggings, but I say yes to leggings. Now, I personally will never ever ware leggings as pants, yuck! These leggings are great when worn under skirts or under pants in the winter. I got these fab leggings at Walgreens. Here is a great review of the very leggings I adore http://mimsysblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/walgreens-5-99-fleece-lined-leggings/ I only hope these are not a limited addition to Walgreens.

Another favorite is these boots, womens rugged outback summit boots http://www.polyvore.com/womens_rugged_outback_summit_boot/thing?id=70907362 sadly they are currently sold out. I hope Payless brings these back and I do not remember ever paying $60.00US for these boots which I bought over a year ago. If you are able to find these wonderful boots anywhere absolutely buy them right away. They are super comfortable and allow plenty of room for thick socks, I go them in my exact size 7US. I have wide feet and I still have to ware thick socks every time I wear these boots.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
My paternal grandmother was a big girl, like myself, without a lot of money to spend on clothes, so she made do with wearing her cotton summer house dresses, a slip, stockings, an apron, and a sweater. Sometimes if her feet were cold she'd put on a pair of cotton socks over her stockings. Thankfully, my grandparents had the old potbelly iron stoves to warm their house, so it could get quite warm inside during the winter. Even though by the 70s my grandmother could get pants in her size, she never got a pair.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I find that 1930s coat combined with merino wool undergarments can keep me quite warm and cozy.
A large thick knit beret and some knit gloves.
For shoes/boots I usually wear Norwegian "labber", or Nesnalobben is the name to look for, we just call them labber or lobber:

One of my 30s coats, knit beret and knit gloves in traditional Norwegian pattern:

You look snug like a bug :D

Panadora

Practically Family
U32563I1297623804.SEQ.0.jpg

venusop

New in Town
As a new transplant to the northeast (who got rid of most of her clothes before hand), I'm reviving this thread. Share your new sources for sweaters (wool overs is one of mine) stockings/tights/long underwear, hats, gloves, even cute house slippers :)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Here in the midwest, it can get to -30 and lower with wind chills. The best thing to do is goose down coat and layers underneath. I used to walk 1.5 miles from the train to the office and the only thing to keep me warm was a full length goose down coat. It doesn't loose it's thermal qualities if wet (just like wool). I don't walk now but I still have my sleeping bag coat. Cotton blend socks in Sorrel boots rated to -20 are perfect for keeping my feet warm and I have numerous crocheted scarves and snowmobile gloves for my hands. I do dress for walking even though I drive to work. You never know when the car might break down and you find yourself walking to a service station.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Last winter I picked up, for twenty dollars, a 1941-vintage Harris Tweed coat that's the most comfortable winter coat I've ever owned. We had an absolutely brutal winter last year -- the worst since the '70s -- and it kept me good and warm. It's loose enough to collect heat pockets and tight enough not to flap around uselessly in the wind. I look forward to wearing it again this year.

I also picked up a pair of buckle-cuffed Army combat boots to wear while shoveling snow -- the kind of snow we've gotten the last couple of years makes fashion irrelevant, I need sturdy and reliable. Worn with a couple pairs of heavy wool socks over wool-cotton blend stockings, and thoroughly waterproofed with "shoe impregnite", they worked just fine.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
The best boots I found are by Columbia Women's Bugaboot Winter Boot http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Wome...3890245&sr=8-6&keywords=columbia+womens+boots Since I do not drive I walk every where. These are the absolute most fantastic boots to wear when you have no choice but to walk on ice. I fell on the street really hard one year and bruised my neck. This scared me so much that I looked online for the best boots to keep out the below degree cold and still be able to walk out doors when needed. One of the tips I also got was to make sure your books are rubber souled this will also prevent you from slipping.

venusop

New in Town
Thanks guys! I'm in full prep mode here. Also I found another supplier of warm stockings besides sock dreams--delp stockings. they're a bit pricier than I like, but they look quality, so I'll try a pair :)

slythwolf

New in Town
It's sweater weather here at last, but seems to always be in the mid-70s inside the store where I work. Another month or so and the heating system plus all the electronics and customer body heat won't keep up as well and I'll be able to pull out my wool stockings, but for now it's layers on the way in that I can stash in my locker during my shift.

Last winter I did very well with a pair or two of wool stockings layered over a pair of silk ones. Silk is very insulating as a base layer. This year I'm hoping to finish knitting my 40s wool underwear by the time the snow flies.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I live in Wisconsin. A 3/4 length coat with a couple of layers (including leggings under my long skirt or fleece-lined tights under my shorter skirt*) works for mildly cold weather, down to the teens. Now, that's when I have a car. I sold mine and am taking the bus, so in a month or so I can let you know how that's working out.

For the days when it's single digits and/or dangerous wind chills, I will be wearing my full-length puffer coat. It's neither attractive nor vintage-inspired. It's like wearing a big, ugly sleeping bag. I have gone out in my fabric coat with a faux fur jacket underneath in that weather. At the time someone informed me air temp was about 6. I was surprised it was that cold because I was insulated. But if it's windy the ugly coat comes out. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

ETA: I do have actual snow/duck boots, which I wear when the snowfall is fresh, before everything is plowed. If I have to wear them into work, I bring other shoes with me.

* http://www.amerimark.com/fleece-lin...dia=2GOOG45A&gclid=CIiIwf7g5sgCFQsDaQodcgsG0Q

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I have to disagree about the shoes. If I'm trying to recall the '20s and '30s, my t-strap maryjanes really make the look. If I wear something '30s-styled with riding boots, it's going to look '90s. Shoes can really pull it together. But I do agree with her that one should wear whatever shoes are desired. Sometimes I just wear the boots because I live in the frozen tundra.

Annie B

New in Town
Sorry if this is repeating anything already said but: WOOL! Wool stockings, wool lined shoes,wool skirt and sweater, wool coat and hat. Wool pettipants, even cotton or silk will do. I am always plenty warm with panties, a girdle, undershirt, pettipants or slip, blouse or sweater, wool skirt, double layered stockings (or woolen ones) and sturdy oxfords or wellies. Leather boots came in a variety of styles, from riding boots, to military or workboot style (sheepskin lined are especially cozy), to booties.Galoshes were worn over your shoes for wet weather but I have not been able to find an affordable source for them yet. I find wool stockings (and socks too if it's VERY cold) under my leather boots (they look like the grey ones with sheepskin collars in the picture) are very adequate.High waisted wool trousers too!
1937 galoshes boots.jpg
1940s boots.jpg
ladies boots 1940s 1930s.jpg
ladies boots leather 1940s 1930s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112