Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many leather jacket should you have?

Seskoad1978

New in Town
Just wonder, living in tropical country...love the leather jacket protecting from rainfall and wind.. only has one leather jacket so far...broken in already

should I have another one or two?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wonder, living in tropical country...love the leather jacket protecting from rainfall and wind.. only has one leather jacket so far...broken in already

Get real......you need loads Dude!! Low numbers are for Motorcycle ownership (I've only got two) :)

Duck

Practically Family
All of them!!! Lol. I bought 3 A2 jackets last year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If it's hot where you live, probably none. A waxed cotton jacket does the same job, ages beautifully, like leather, and is much lighter.

I could easily live where I am and not own one, like most of my male friends.

I own 4 these days but have owned more than I can count.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Maybe one black and one brown to go with different clothes?

Or, if you're like many of us here, you'll want a representative variety of styles. I've been at this for 15 years now, and while I've sold/given away a couple of jackets in that time, I have settled on five that I'm quite happy with, and I try and rotate through and wear all of them in the right weather:

Wested Raiders Indy jacket, dark brown lambskin, custom-sized - my "summer weight" leather
Schott 654, black cowhide - my cafe racer-style jacket, and newest, from last year (needed sleeves shortened)
Good Wear Dubow 27798 A-2, dull russet horsehide, custom-sized - my WWII repro A-2
Gibson & Barnes "civil" A-2, black goatskin - my oldest (2001) and most-worn jacket, a modern-spec A-2
Gibson & Barnes "historical" M-422A, seal brown goatskin - my WWII repro Navy flight jacket (G-1)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Just wonder, living in tropical country...love the leather jacket protecting from rainfall and wind.. only has one leather jacket so far...broken in already, should I have another one or two?
Aw come on, this is a wind up, right? You really need to ask? For the record, how many M-T-M suits should you have? I have seven, eight if you count the tux. How many hats should you own? Well I only have fourteen. How many Sports Blazers/trousers/spectator shoes/this/that/the other? I've got sixty two Aloha shirts, but I've only got two leathers, actually make that three, I forgot about the biker leather. Do you really need approval/or advice from the Loungers?

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
The jacket finds its wearer, my friend. So there's no fixed number. Yes, the emotional answer to that question is "whatever number of jackets you have plus one more" and I'd usually agree. But if you're asking for a somewhat cognitive response, you have to consider the want vs. need vs. budget equation.

Of course we want all of them, but how many do you really need? I ride my motorcycle year round in all kinds of weather so I have perforated and vented leather jackets and warm, lined leather jackets that I consider needed. Would love to have three colors of each but my budget dollars are needed for other things. I also have a couple jackets that are for casual/dress wear only.

But there are a couple jackets that I always seem to wear the most, the ones that have been with me the longest, the ones that have taken on my body's shape, the ones that always seem to draw a compliment or two (one of them, a Vanson Manx motorcycle jacket, I was wearing in a Starbucks one morning when a girl, out of the blue, asked if she could take a picture of it!). Those are the jackets that have chosen me. I clean them and condition them often and wear them with pride.

When the right jacket finds you, you'll discover you're not looking for jackets as much anymore.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
+1

To echo SkyTurtle's sentiments, practicality should be a factor. I can easily see myself having several if I lived in a colder environment, and whenever I see a really great leather jacket on television or in a movie, I have to remind myself that I'd be spending a lot of money for very little wear. Here in Texas, where I get maybe two or three months of consistent use out of mine (if I'm lucky), one has sufficed me for the past eight years. I think vintage aficionados will find their closets accumulating the most versatile items. I, myself, probably own more linen clothes than loungers who live in the Northeast.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars

It's nice to have one representative of the major players (Lost Worlds, Aero, Schott, etc.). Although there are a lot of good companies out there....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points