Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

None as of today . . . because it arrived today.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

To the pics and details my good man

Edward

Bartender
I am preplanning next one, a short button up aero. Thinking aeromarine or mulligan in red fox cow steer. This would be completely different look than the other two.

Love to know anyone's thoughts on a third choice.

thx!

An Aeromarine with slash handwarmer pockets instead of patch pockets would be cool. I'd also be kinda temptred to ask whether they would consider doing one with a D-pocket on it. THat could be a very interesting version.

A little off subject, but I used to do the same thing with my professional Chefs knife collection. I would use the lousy ones at work in case some one stole one of tried to open can and broke the tip off. I realized that I had all these really expensive and very high quality knives at home collecting dust in storage. Finally took my beaters and gave them away to my students, and took my best knives to work, and love using them so much more, I don't know what I was thinking. Why have them if you don't use them.

There;s something to be said for a beater jacket you have that you can take anywhere andtravle with without worrying about, but equally, if you're afraid to wear the expensive one anywhere..... Reminds me of the rich folks who have very fancy, crazy-expensive jewellery stored in a vault somewhere, and only ever wear a copy of it in case they get mugged. Even allowing for heirlooms and investments, you do get to a point where you have to question the point of owning the expensive option if you'll never wear it. There's also a certain irony in buying the best quality leather jacket that can take hard wearing, then only ever wearing an inferior cheapo to protect it!

I have some cheaper jackets (Wested, Schott) which I enjoy wearin,g but the reason I bought them was because I very much wanted to own a version of a particular style, but didn't think I'd wear it often enough to warrant the expensive one, instead saving the money to spend on an Aero or whatever in a style I would wear much more often.

Looked quickly at the link sorry crap save your $$$ once you dip your toes into the likes of Aero and so forth you won’t be happy with this made in Pakistan rubbish which I think is where all these movie jacket websites drop ship from

The cheap costume repicas tend to all be made in Pakistan, India and China. I've seen very decent leather garments (for the money, comparingl ike for like) from all three, but I would still avoid the movie costume stuff because those are produced for a market of people wearing them in indoor conference centres at comic conventions, not the rigours of real-life wear. The old saying about getting what you pay for is generally true; that, and if it's too cheap to seem like it'll be decent, then invariabl;y is either isn't, or it's stolen. Wested are worth looking into for a cheaper jacket that is still nice and worth the money. These fly by night affairs online can be extremely hit and miss, however.

Great looking jacket. Giving serious consideration to trading my ANJ-4 for one.

Nooooo! You'll regret that if you do. Wait and buy it elsewhere - especially given you can easily justify a third shearling for the Glasgow Winter!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
An Aeromarine with slash handwarmer pockets instead of patch pockets would be cool. I'd also be kinda temptred to ask whether they would consider doing one with a D-pocket on it. THat could be a very interesting version.

There;s something to be said for a beater jacket you have that you can take anywhere andtravle with without worrying about, but equally, if you're afraid to wear the expensive one anywhere..... Reminds me of the rich folks who have very fancy, crazy-expensive jewellery stored in a vault somewhere, and only ever wear a copy of it in case they get mugged. Even allowing for heirlooms and investments, you do get to a point where you have to question the point of owning the expensive option if you'll never wear it. There's also a certain irony in buying the best quality leather jacket that can take hard wearing, then only ever wearing an inferior cheapo to protect it!

I have some cheaper jackets (Wested, Schott) which I enjoy wearin,g but the reason I bought them was because I very much wanted to own a version of a particular style, but didn't think I'd wear it often enough to warrant the expensive one, instead saving the money to spend on an Aero or whatever in a style I would wear much more often.

The cheap costume repicas tend to all be made in Pakistan, India and China. I've seen very decent leather garments (for the money, comparingl ike for like) from all three, but I would still avoid the movie costume stuff because those are produced for a market of people wearing them in indoor conference centres at comic conventions, not the rigours of real-life wear. The old saying about getting what you pay for is generally true; that, and if it's too cheap to seem like it'll be decent, then invariabl;y is either isn't, or it's stolen. Wested are worth looking into for a cheaper jacket that is still nice and worth the money. These fly by night affairs online can be extremely hit and miss, however.

Nooooo! You'll regret that if you do. Wait and buy it elsewhere - especially given you can easily justify a third shearling for the Glasgow Winter!
Never been to Glasgow, but I hear you could really use 3 shearling jackets there. :)

Jejupe

Practically Family
My brand new Aero Cordovan FQHH LHB arrived today. I have few second hand Aero's already, but this was the first that came straight from Aero to me. I was little bit worried how will I feel about this FQHH hide. I have read so many stories about people trying all sorts of tricks to brake in the jacket, so I thought it must feel like cardboard or plastic or something. Not quite! Yes it stiff, but in a pleasant way!

Another thing I noticed was that photos don't do justice to Cordovan as a color. In real life it has all kind of beautiful shades of red and brown.

Lovely jacket, and I must say that it is quite a nice experience to receive a new jacket in comparison to used one. The leather smells new and waxy, not like an old ashtray like my previous purchase from Ebay...

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was guilty of this to be honest, then I got the lost world suburban. A high-end jacket, but so bullet proof, that you can abuse it in any imaginable way. So I started using it in all circumstances while keeping my more "fragile jackets" in better conditions. Which was also a mistake, but a step in the right direction. These days, I will take any jacket no matter the weather.
They are made to be worn and used in all kind of situations after all.

CBI

One Too Many
I can honestly say I am good with leather for I think quite a long time no. In fact, pretty set with cloth as well....................

Get to save some $ for a change!

No jackets but I just bought some of that Fiebing's leather dye. Have two jackets that I want to dye black. That's practically as having two new jackets on the way. :3

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
I received an email from Eastman today saying my M-422A is being delivered tomorrow. Happy days!!!!

Rough. So now what?
Good question! I asked to delete the element in question...where that puts me on the completion timetable I have no idea...I'm a bit surprised such a thing didn't get flagged quite awhile ago when looking at the spec's... (12 weeks in and just hearing about it now). The long and short is I wanted to retain the epaulettes and have shoulder gussets...no dice. The bootlegger epaulettes are different. They are sewn down across the shoulder, not snapped down like the j106...makes sense as that's a lot of material right there but lord have mercy...this is taking all my patience. Again.

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
No jackets but I just bought some of that Fiebing's leather dye. Have two jackets that I want to dye black. That's practically as having two new jackets on the way. :3

Good luck!

What color are the jackets to start with? You might need two or three coats if you want deep deep black. One coat might give you a pleasing tea-core look though. You can achieve all kinds of effects if you experiment around. I've never dyed a whole jacket, but I've had fun with shoes, boots, and book covers - blotting the dye on with a balled up rag, wiping and smearing with a wet rag after putting the dye on, layering different colors, blotting and smudging little dabs of different shades and different colors to gradually cover the whole piece, lighter and darker areas, using brushes, sponges, rags, and even feathers. I was free to experiment and not worry because they were mostly cheap thrift store things. I did make ghastly mistakes, but could always cover them with more dye, and I just kept on messing around until I liked the effect.

Wear rubber surgical gloves or you will dye your skin too. And be careful, those Fiebings bottles are tall and tippy. I shifted some newspaper one was sitting on once, and now I have permanent stains all over my kitchen table and down the wall.

If you take photos of the process and share them here, you will have a rapt and attentive audience... and thunderous applause! ;)

Have fun!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Thats exactly what I want to do with my beater brown Gap Trucker. I'm not very thrifty tough, and would probably ruin the clothing I was wearing, my carpets, my sink, maybe even my hair. :)

Good luck!

What color are the jackets to start with? You might need two or three coats if you want deep deep black. One coat might give you a pleasing tea-core look though. You can achieve all kinds of effects if you experiment around. I've never dyed a whole jacket, but I've had fun with shoes, boots, and book covers - blotting the dye on with a balled up rag, wiping and smearing with a wet rag after putting the dye on, layering different colors, blotting and smudging little dabs of different shades and different colors to gradually cover the whole piece, lighter and darker areas, using brushes, sponges, rags, and even feathers. I was free to experiment and not worry because they were mostly cheap thrift store things. I did make ghastly mistakes, but could always cover them with more dye, and I just kept on messing around until I liked the effect.

Wear rubber surgical gloves or you will dye your skin too. And be careful, those Fiebings bottles are tall and tippy. I shifted some newspaper one was sitting on once, and now I have permanent stains all over my kitchen table and down the wall.

If you take photos of the process and share them here, you will have a rapt and attentive audience... and thunderous applause! ;)

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips! I got the Pro version, Oil Dye which is supposedly even worse. I was actually wondering if I'm supposed to wear gloves while using it!

Black. Wanna dye that Hein Gericke motorcycle jacket which was supposed to look worn out but it actually just looks lame. It's a tremendously good jacket otherwise, one of the best I've had so I figure, once black, it ought to be just perfect. The jacket is gray/dark gray and made from completely unfinished (naked) cow so I think one coat should do the job on this one, but I've bought a large bottle so we'll see. To be honest, I've no fear how it'll turn out because it can't be uglier than it is now.

Does it add shine to the jacket? That's what I'd really want.

As for the second jacket, I was thinking about dyeing that last trucker I posted in the trucker thread. Maybe. Haven't decided yet. I have this idea it would look much cooler... But I dunno.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips! I got the Pro version, Oil Dye which is supposedly even worse. I was actually wondering if I'm supposed to wear gloves while using it!

Black. Wanna dye that Hein Gericke motorcycle jacket which was supposed to look worn out but it actually just looks lame. It's a tremendously good jacket otherwise, one of the best I've had so I figure, once black, it ought to be just perfect. The jacket is gray/dark gray and made from completely unfinished (naked) cow so I think one coat should do the job on this one, but I've bought a large bottle so we'll see. To be honest, I've no fear how it'll turn out because it can't be uglier than it is now.

Does it add shine to the jacket? That's what I'd really want.

As for the second jacket, I was thinking about dyeing that last trucker I posted in the trucker thread. Maybe. Haven't decided yet. I have this idea it would look much cooler... But I dunno.

Don't forget before / after photos! I'm curious about the result.
I wasn't courageous to do it myself even on a cheap jacket I gave it to a dry cleaner specializing in leather for 20€

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto