Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many of you did hide a new leather jacket purchase from wife?

Sad to say, it's not a game. I see it all too often. Some men do live under their women's thumbs. Not every has a healthy level of communication in their relationships. I have friends like that. I see how they squirm. It's terrible to have to figure out "what do I tell the wife" at every turn.

As Grandad used to say, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Originally written in 1899
[video=youtube;AG6CB3sTBYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG6CB3sTBYE[/video]

nevadapd

Familiar Face
This is a really interesting thread, so I thought I'd jump in. Allow me to begin by considering the question in a cold, scientific light. Cognitive psychologists talk about lying as a human capacity because we presumably have a "theory of mind." That may sound kinda strange, but all it means is that we know that other people, other "minds" if you will, also know and don't know things AND we know we can influence what they know. You may not want your spouse to know about your recent jacket purchase because you expect an angry response, maybe some yelling, demands to return it and get the hard-earned money back, etc. So, you have the jacket delivered to your work address, or hide it in a closet, etc. Still, at some point you're going to want to wear it. I'll admit to hiding a new leather jacket purchase, and in my case, when I finally wore it, got asked, "Is that new?" "Nah," I said, "I've had this for awhile." It worked because there's so much clutter around our house, neither she nor I know who'se had what for how long.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Shouldn't there be a secondary market for leather credits? I could swap my new Schott for the new Ferragamos you kept in the trunk of your car for a week.... Don't think I didn't notice. Don't tell, don't ask?

Peacoat

Bartender
I'll admit to hiding a new leather jacket purchase, and in my case, when I finally wore it, got asked, "Is that new?" "Nah," I said, "I've had this for awhile." It worked because there's so much clutter around our house, neither she nor I know who'se had what for how long.

In my situation it works because I have so many leather jackets she has no idea if one has been around for awhile, or if it is new. She is just happy I am down to about 15 or so pea coats. They take up a lot of room in the closets. The leather jackets are relatively benign compared to the pea coats as they occupy so much less space.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In our house , I have a room where I store all of my favorite antiques I have collected over the years including a dozen jackets. My wife has her
room where she keeps her collection , I see dozens of shoe boxes among other things. I have never thought of having to hide things. When I
see an attractive girl on the tennis courts , I respect my wife not to make a big deal just like when she notices a handsome guy. We know it's
there & appreciate it for what it is. Not saying we're perfect, but we give ourselves room to enjoy life.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As mentioned, I find it very hard - and quite stupid - to hide a huge, bulky Irvin Jacket - so I don't.
But I have hidden the fact of yet another purchase up till the very last week of its arrival. Then I had to face it.
My wives only question was: Haven't you got one all ready? (Phewww - that was easy.)
My answer came promptly: Yes - just like you at least have one bag and one pair of shoes!
End of story.
lol lol

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I have so many leather jackets she has no idea if one has been around for awhile, or if it is new.

Who knows. Maybe wife keeps a detailed list of all your jackets and you don't know about it ;)

My wife has her room where she keeps her collection , I see dozens of shoe boxes among other things.

Why do women need so many shoes? :eusa_doh:

When I see an attractive girl on the tennis courts , I respect my wife not to make a big deal just like when she notices a handsome guy.

This in my town involves a slap on the face and no sex for the next week [huh]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Once upon a time Martians & Venusians met, fell in love, & had happy
relationships together because they respected & accepted their
differences. Then they came to Earth & amnesia set in: they forgot they
were from different planets". - John Gray

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
The jackets I've been buying are too high in cost to not discuss with the wife. I wouldn't want her buying a $600 item without running it by me so I give her that same resect. I don't necessarily ask permission but it's discussed, I use good judgment in my spending so it's never a problem. I wouldn't try to buy an expensive item if we didn't have the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider