Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you own?

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
I own three: 2 blue and one charcoal, all double-breasted with wide lapels - just as I like 'em.

It's a whim of mine to make sure that all my suits are double-breasted and all my sports jackets single-breasted.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Speakeasy, that is logical. Seems there was a time when almost everyone wore double breasted suits. They were popular in the 80s, as I recall. Back in the seventies I tried to buy some OTR and could not get them. Sports jackets should be single breasted, I would think, but some members here may have other ideas. Single breasted because they are sporty. Double breasted tends to look more formal, apart from blue blazers.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I have six suits. Three for autumn/winter (and possibly spring): grey flannel, brown herringbone and blue heavy wool. For summer three linen summer suits: one in dark blue for the evening, one tobacco shade and a cream (worn only occasionally). The rest is odd clothes.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
"Classically styled" is often preferable to vintage, though I should perhaps not say that on this forum: for the sole reason that vintage garments may be difficult to find in one's right size, or could be so rare as to be too valuable to wear on a regular basis. I go for classically styled as well.

maria johns

New in Town
I have 5 suits.
I love to wear slim fit suit jackets. The most important thing these are not ready wear suits. I have designed my own suits in my own way with Custom Stitchers.

maria johns

New in Town
wow 37 suits? isnt it enough ? or more than enough ? :)

I have tailored made suit jackets and they are amazing.
i firmly believe on customized clothing as ready to wear clothes are most of times didnt get fit on you, ultimately you have to choose custom clothing, which i think is the best option.
I'm regular customer of Custom Stitchers and it doesn't let me go somewhere else because of it's extra ordinary and finest stitching quality.

Awesomest Guy

Familiar Face
6 suits, one dinner suit, 3 pairs shoes, 6 shirts, 3 sports jackets, 4 pairs cufflinks, 20 neckties, 3 day cravats, 4 bow ties, a ridiculously long scarf, several shorter scarves, 6 hats (mainly straw- After all, Australia is a rather warm place), 8 pocket squares, 5 odd waistcoats one tie clip, one navy blazer. Last time I checked, anyway.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
wow 37 suits? isnt it enough ? or more than enough ? :)

I have tailored made suit jackets and they are amazing.
i firmly believe on customized clothing as ready to wear clothes are most of times didnt get fit on you, ultimately you have to choose custom clothing, which i think is the best option.
I'm regular customer of Custom Stitchers and it doesn't let me go somewhere else because of it's extra ordinary and finest stitching quality.

Seems very much like an advertising plug to me...

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
6 suits, one dinner suit, 3 pairs shoes, 6 shirts, 3 sports jackets, 4 pairs cufflinks, 20 neckties, 3 day cravats, 4 bow ties, a ridiculously long scarf, several shorter scarves, 6 hats (mainly straw- After all, Australia is a rather warm place), 8 pocket squares, 5 odd waistcoats one tie clip, one navy blazer. Last time I checked, anyway.

Proper gentleman's wardrobe. I imagine it all stored, Bertie Wooster style, in an oak wardrobe.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I could not honestly give an exact account of how many suits, sport coats, blazers, top coats, slacks, and shirts, and ties, or even hats that I actually have......Buuuut.....I do rotate which are in my closet on an ad-hoc seasonal basis (though as everyone knows, So-Cal is the land of accursed perpetual Summer).....At present in my preferred seasonal rotation and in light of my present measurements - ahem; about 15 or 16 suits all 2 piece except one (1 sand HBT, 1 sandy puttee color with sea-green HBT, 1 deep olive green HBT, 1 golden HBT, 1 rust twill, 1 brown micro-pinstripe worsted, 1 charcoal w/ivory/caramel striped flannel, 1 charcoal DB w/white chalk-stripes, 1 3 pc made to measure cashmere wool in charcoal solid worsted, a few other mixed gray pin and chalk-striped suits, 1 frock DB coat w/accoutrements, 1 cut away coat w/accoutrements; all SB, except 1, 1 overcoat - jumbo HBT with raw blurb weave in cream and caramel brown vintage 1930s (from the buttons) with raglan sleeves and mid-calf length (the other 5 from my regular rotation are currently resplendently residing in plastic sheathed protective glory in sealed steamer trunks in my garage wardrobe area), about 65 Shirts in present rotation; about 30 some odd ties in present rotation; 12 pairs of assorted odd trousers; 13 odd jackets; 4 Blazers, 4 pairs of leather dress gloves, 10 pairs shoes, 4 fedoras in regular rotation, assorted other hats, of course, and 1 Panama dress hat in semi-regular rotation which needs to be replaced soon.

I don't count any of my present tuxedos as I am not particularly pleased with them. I'm on the hunt!

I have one, a nice dark blue suit, 3 button jacket. Purchased it when invited to give the Sunday lesson at our church. Figured the occasion deserved a new blue suit. Wore it that day and have not taken it out of the closet since. Since I am already married the next time it will be worn is at a funeral....likely my own!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I have one, a nice dark blue suit, 3 button jacket. Purchased it when invited to give the Sunday lesson at our church. Figured the occasion deserved a new blue suit. Wore it that day and have not taken it out of the closet since. Since I am already married the next time it will be worn is at a funeral....likely my own!
That's a rather dreary outlook; where's the joie de vivre? If you're married, wear it on a date with your wife, or to church, or for your anniversary. Come on! Or, is it that you do not actually like the suit? Does it need alteration? I don't get it.

That's a rather dreary outlook; where's the joie de vivre? If you're married, wear it on a date with your wife, or to church, or for your anniversary. Come on! Or, is it that you do not actually like the suit? Does it need alteration? I don't get it.
The suit is fine, fits good. It is just that I no longer feel comfortable in a suit. After many years playing executive it no longer fits as part of my "costume". My version of dress up these days is one of my tweed blazers, oxford cloth shirt and a pair of jeans with a pair of great shoes. Wear it to the opera, the symphony or my local tavern. In the winter top it with a cashmere overcoat. My version of west coast gentry! I may only have the one suit but I do have a grand selection of fine shoes and boots (waaay more than my prudent wife!) classic overcoats and tweed blazers.....just no suits!

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
The suits in my current rotation are

VERY HEAVY
- pewter gray bespoke 2-piece (which desperately needs a skilled alteration on trousers)
- navy Burton 2-piece from 60s

MID-SEASON
- blue with faint rust stripes 3-piece from 30s
- black shadow stripe 2-piece (semi-MTM from the good old days in which you could get a decent suit for a decent price in Italy)
- steel blue 2-piece (modern, not so good but still decent)
- charcoal 2-piece (by Caruso)

SUMMER
- glen check 2-piece (definitely low quality but I like the lapels)
- light gray 2-piece from 50s
- tan 2-piece from 60s
- plum 2-piece cotton (modern, decent style but armholes far too low. Plus, it's in Italy now!)

Plus I have some sports coats and odd trousers. Amongst them I shall mention
- black peak lapel early 30s jacket
- blue self-stripe peak lapel 30s jacket (bespoke from Germany)

I'm fine with my rotation. I'm currently in the market for a heavyweight light-coloured suit and I am (almost hopelessly) still looking for some very good blue/navy summer suit in wool.

Reactions: Hal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk