Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How the classy hunter goes afield...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
Great pix/post Big Man.:eusa_clap
You must be fond of that 1903 Springfield. One storied rifle.

It is a very nice rifle, and with it's own story, too ...

My grandfather Dobson was a Veteran's Service Officer in his later years. They had an opportunity to acquire some old 03's for their Honor Guard, and he somehow managed to get an "extra" rifle. After he passed away, it was left to me.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
It is a very nice rifle, and with it's own story, too ...

My grandfather Dobson was a Veteran's Service Officer in his later years. They had an opportunity to acquire some old 03's for their Honor Guard, and he somehow managed to get an "extra" rifle. After he passed away, it was left to me.

Now that's what I call an inheritance! A real family heirloom.
Always had my eye out for a loose .03, but never acquired one.

The flintlocks in the prior post are very interesting. Never used one,
or even a more recent Muzzle loader, must be a nice switch once-while.

Big Man

Harp said:
... The flintlocks in the prior post are very interesting. Never used one, or even a more recent Muzzle loader, must be a nice switch once-while.

I went through a period of about 10 years where the only thing I used was a flintlock. They are really nice firearms, and will give you a different perspective on shooting sports. I could go on and on about flintlocks and the adventures our group had with them and the associated gear/clothing, but that would be drifting off track for this thread (and this board).

However, to tie things into the era, in this part of the country (mountains of western NC), there were a number of folks who carried and used old muzzle loaders (percussion) every day during the 1920's and 1930's.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
JeffOYB said:
About our elk-hunting Springfield shooter: Perhaps the perfect rifle! An all-time great. Can't go wrong. But isn't it WW1 mostly?
--Jeff Potter
You are correct. I blame my fat fingers. I have corrected it. And yes, it is a fine rifle.:)

carebear

The Marines used the '03 into WWII. They didn't get the Garand (for supply and upper echelon reasons) until after the war kicked off.

My dad's sporterized '03 (now mine, now a bit more sporterized) is one of the Rock Island ser. # group that had a few problems with the receivers. I've read both sides of the issue and figure if an actually issued rifle was going to fail, it would have done it before I ever got my hands on it.

Still only shoot standard pressure loads... :D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
However, to tie things into the era, in this part of the country (mountains of western NC), there were a number of folks who carried and used old muzzle loaders (percussion) every day during the 1920's and 1930's.

I've heard tell of musketry shot around the Biltmore Mansion
(during 1940s WWII incarceration of Nazi general officers) with ball
hits shattering window panes.;)

Big Man

Harp said:
I've heard tell of musketry shot around the Biltmore Mansion
(during 1940s WWII incarceration of Nazi general officers) with ball
hits shattering window panes.;)

Sounds like an interesting story. I've never heard this before.

Big Man

Harp said:
Relative moved to Asheville, toured the Biltmore Mansion and
passed this on from a tour guide.

I'll have to check this out. I know that some German POW's were billeted at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, and that the National Gallery of Art secretly stored significant art works at the Biltmore House during the war. But I've never heard about general staff officers staying at the estate.

Asheville is just up the road from me, so I'll have to check this one out. I haven't been to the Biltmore House in a number of years, so this just might be the "excuse" I need for a return trip.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I was intrigued by this story. I understood that there was a POW
camp in NC, and that Ft Polk, LA had been partially used for POWs;
also a few places out west: Colorado, New Mexico.

Big Man

Harp said:
... I understood that there was a POW
camp in NC...

There were several POW camps in NC, including "Camp Butner" where John Umstead Hospital is now located (state psych hospital). I believe there were about 15 or 20 camps of various sizes spread across the state.

But, back to discussing hunting, does anyone else do any kind of vintage hunting/camping/exploring ?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Ooops. For those of you who may be familiar with Eastern North Carolina, I misspoke in my post above. Craven Regional sits on the old State Prison site. Glenburnie Park is located on the old POW Camp site.

Atticus

JeffOYB

Vendor
Big Man said:
[...] But, back to discussing hunting, does anyone else do any kind of vintage hunting/camping/exploring ?

I suppose I'm being lame by continually chiming in and blathering like this, but there are so many nifty ways to go vintage in the great outdoors. They're all good.

It really would be neat to see more camping reenactor pics! Especially from the 10's-40's!!!

I have some neat postcards of James Oliver Curwood. He wrote adventure novels in the 'Teens, perhaps. I have pics of him and his wife on snowshoes with Rem M8 and Savage 99 rifles, dogs around them, good hats. I have to find and scan those pics! Well, here's a couple for now, of them separately, sans dogs:

http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/OYB8/curwood.gif

http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/OYB8/curwoodwife.gif

I really enjoy my old wood XC skis and wood snowshoes. I about pass out with joy when paddling the 1920's wood'n'canvas canoe that's now hanging in my garage (it's my father-in-law's). It's painted in an art deco style copied from the Indians! Here's a link to a story of paddling it, plus pics: http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=469

I have a 1950's Bear Super Kodiak recurve bow. It's so FAST! Really, as fast as any recurves today, which can compare quite well to moderate compound bows.

Old stuff is good stuff, isn't it. I just bought a couple new (but oldstyle!) hardwood pack baskets and gave one as a gift---I don't really know what I'll do with mine but they are so sweet.

I'm a fan of wicker. There's a multigeneration wicker basket maker in England, David Hembrow, whose grampa made wicker trunks for cars, who makes anything in wicker---nice bike panniers, an almost thrifty price. Like, $100 for a pair plus $50 to ship, as I very vaguely recall. www.hembrow.eu/bicycle.html

Whew!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
I'll have to check this out. I know that some German POW's were billeted at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, and that the National Gallery of Art secretly stored significant art works at the Biltmore House during the war. But I've never heard about general staff officers staying at the estate.

...Grove Park Inn--that sounds familiar. This rings a bell. It may have
been this place where the German brass stayed. (Story dates back twenty years,
will attempt to email 'track' it down.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
But, back to discussing hunting, does anyone else do any kind of vintage hunting/camping/exploring ?

English tweed/shooting jackets for brief outdoor stays.
A longer field trip recommends woolen toggle coat, turtleneck or
commando sweater, tweed jacket/pants, and rubber boots.
I prefer the more British vintage look than simply shrugging on an
old field jacket. Been looking to start fly fishing when I get organized.:eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Resolved

Big Man said:

Asheville is just up the road from me, so I'll have to check this one out. I haven't been to the Biltmore House in a number of years, so this just might be the "excuse" I need for a return trip.

Right you are Big Man; email this morn confirmed that the German
officers were billited at the Grove Inn, not the Biltmore estate.

carebear

Camp Crowder, MO has old overgrown barracks and such back in the tick-infested woods I was told were used for German POW's.

What did the vintage types use to keep the creepy-crawlers off of them before DEET?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Now this hunting outfit is "retro"....
Cockedhat.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
I use a Filson Macinac(sp) in the classic red/black for colder weather(not too often here anymore. Being one who likes older guns I am leaning toward a mod.1896 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, lighter than the '06 but adequate. then there is my 1911, and k-31 Swiss straight pulls. Beautifully made rifles. If it were not so heavy there is the 1871 Swiss Vetterli in 10.4x38R converted to centerfire( a blackpowder cartridge).

If I choose to be more modern there is a beautiful Ruger #1 light rifle in 7x57 I rescued and refinished.

I like all the classic rifles and shotguns, don't give me plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points