Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How the classy hunter goes afield...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fatdutchman said:
Now this hunting outfit is "retro"....
Cockedhat.jpg

I see that you are from Kentucky and have some nice 18th century things. Have you ever visited Martin's Station near the Cumberland Gap? We may have met somewher along the "frontier".

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
What did the vintage types use to keep the creepy-crawlers off of them before DEET?
Animal fat. Native Americans smeared their bodies with rendered animal fat, particularly bear grease, to keep the pests at bay. If animal fat was not available, mud could also be used, but obviously wouldn't last as long.

Mmm, nothing like smearing yourself with a nice, thick layer of bear grease!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I'm from western KY. I go to Mansker's station every year, and I've been to Boonesboro once. I don't do a lot of events.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fatdutchman said:
I'm from western KY. I go to Mansker's station every year, and I've been to Boonesboro once. I don't do a lot of events.

I've probably met you then at Mansker's. although I didn't get a chance to go last year, I've attended all their market fairs since the beginning. I always stay in the small blockhouse. If you get a chance, I would recommend Martin's Station (especially the Raid event in the spring). Martin's is THE place for those seriously interested in living history.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
OH, speaking of mosquitoes....Sassafras is a mosquito repellent. I always break off a few leaves and rub them on my face and neck, and stick a sprig in my hat. It HELPS keep mosquitoes away, but is not a total barrier by any means.

When my mother was a little girl, and she stayed over with my great grandmother, she would have her "brush" her teeth before going to bed by chewing on a sassafras twig!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
OH, speaking of mosquitoes....Sassafras is a mosquito repellent. I always break off a few leaves and rub them on my face and neck, and stick a sprig in my hat. It HELPS keep mosquitoes away, but is not a total barrier by any means.
That's interesting! I've never heard that. I absolutley hate mosquitoes, and actually rate places I'd like to live on the relative mosquito population. That's one reason I love the desert so much! The next time I am out east I think I'll give that sassafras thing a try. I'm game for anything that will help keep those little buggers at bay.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
That's interesting! I've never heard that. I absolutley hate mosquitoes, and actually rate places I'd like to live on the relative mosquito population. That's one reason I love the desert so much! The next time I am out east I think I'll give that sassafras thing a try. I'm game for anything that will help keep those little buggers at bay.

And smelling like Root Beer might be a bonus....does Amy like Root Beer?

lol

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
JeffOYB said:
I have a 1950's Bear Super Kodiak recurve bow. It's so FAST! Really, as fast as any recurves today, which can compare quite well to moderate compound bows.

My father-in-law was the PA state archery champion in 1958. He still has the Bear recurve he used then- took a deer with it every year until about three years ago. Then he had to go with a compound bow because of his arthritic shoulder. I archery hunt as well, but it's strictly modern-style for me- there's not a lot of vintage women's hunting clothing available! lol

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
New hunting oufit

My shooting suit finally arrived!!!:)

Tweeds229.jpg

We have a shop here in Newport, RI that specializes in British clothing. My wife and I had our shooting suits custom made through them. They were made in Scottland and took four monthe to arrive. It was worth it. The suits are of 24oz scottish tweed.

Tweeds230.jpg

Next year I may join an organization called the Vintagers. It's an Edwardian shoting club that holds period syle matches for double gun shooters.

Tweeds223.jpg

My wife's debut appearance in the lounge.

Cheers one and all,
Eric

JeffOYB

Vendor
Wow! Great outfits. We just watched "The Queen" and I was coveting those hunt-clothes. Now here you have them! Very nice. I really like the idea of clothes that both look good and work good in the outdoors. Maybe report back on their range of motion, how they are to shoot in and wander the landscape in? Best wishes! JP

PS: I'll put up a story today on my OutYourBackDoor.com site about our recent turkey hunting outing up north. The upshot was that we tested out several shotguns and loads and two of us found that our old singleshot Stevens shotguns (circa 20's perhaps) shot best of all. Well, they had the full chokes. They kept turkey-knocking patterns going far further than the modified barrels on our newer autoloaders. But they also look classy in a dirt-farmer way. And they weigh half as much. We enjoyed hiking the miles looking for turkey sign with those light guns. Plus I ran into a neat new repro rifle at a gunshop on the way north: the H&R Buffalo in .45/70. A thrifty, classy singleshot. Checkered! With straight stock (no pistol grip) and Schnabel forearm! And long, heavy octagon barrel! ---And more. Be still my heart. I'll put up pics, links for that, too.

Earp

One of the Regulars
Great stuff on this thread. I use a copy of a 1760 JP Beck flintlock rifle exclusively when deer hunting.

Jeff, I'm a Michiganian as well. How do you get around the hunter orange requirements? I love to go vintage when shotgun hunting (and I use my great grandfather's shotgun), and French & Indian War era when muzzleloader hunting, but find the orange hat or vest destroys the look.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Old stuff can be good stuff! I'm interested in flintlock myself. Someday!

About the orange: it's not required in turkey season. I recall seeing it recommended, though, when you're walking. I guess turkeys can see color. When you set up your ambush you're not required to wear orange. And I don't believe you HAVE to wear it even when walking---it's just recommended. See the online rules for firm facts but I think that's the situation. (Turkey season is furthermore equally open to bow, shotgun and muzzleloader shotgun. No rifles afield, though, during that season.)

Lion

New in Town
DEET: The 1880's way

Three Ounces Pine Tar
Two Ounces Castor Oil
One Ounce Pennyroyal Oil

Simmer all together over a slow fire and bottle for use. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don't fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty.

The above is from "Woodcraft and Camping" by 'Nessmuk'. He got it from an article printed in "Forest and Stream" in the summer of 1880.

Leo

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Earp said:
Great stuff on this thread. I use a copy of a 1760 JP Beck flintlock rifle exclusively when deer hunting.

Jeff, I'm a Michiganian as well. How do you get around the hunter orange requirements? I love to go vintage when shotgun hunting (and I use my great grandfather's shotgun), and French & Indian War era when muzzleloader hunting, but find the orange hat or vest destroys the look.

You get to use it like in Last of the Mohicans (minus the obligatory scalping of course!):D

Many years ago upland game hunting after drawing tags for China Lake Naval Weapons Station (do NOT wander outside designated areas!) I met an older gentleman I remember for two reasons: He was an old boardtrack motorcycle racer! And he was in an Airstream trailer so old, it was a streamlined silvered canvas on a wood frame job, with original fixtures inside, including a kerosene burning oven/stove! He had style...

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Another Michiganian here. I'm suprised more people here that favor the classic outdoors look don't look into what Filson has to offer. This stuff is the real deal-wool and waxed cotton. Pendleton used to make this sort of stuff,too, but now I have to find what I want on eBay. I have Filson's wool Mackinaw, but I really prefer the Pendleton copies that I picked up for just a few bucks on the 'bay-the wool is softer, or maybe just more broken-in. I like Pendleton's Green/black and navy/black checks, too.
Start with Filson's merino wool long underwear, then a vintage Pendleton wool shirt,Filson Mackinaw wool trousers, possibly a Filson wool vest, and depending on whether or not rain or wet snow is expected, a Pendleton wool mackinaw, or a Filson Tin Cloth Field coat. Top it off with one of Filson's hats or caps. It all sure isn't cheap, but it is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points