Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Know if You're in The Right Bar

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Me, I've always judged a bar by how the bathroom is. If it has a valet that hands me a cloth towel at the sink, I'm in the wrong place. If you can smell sewage before you even go in, I'm in the wrong place. If it's clean, nice decor, smells good, smooth jazz and soft lights, I'm in the right place.

Btw, I judge a good chinese place who makes their eggrolls homemade, by hand. A good Mexican place who makes their salsa and chips, homemade, by hand and brings it to your table as you get seated.

Mr.Astor

Banned
MK- I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding Carpano and also a fine selection of bitters. There is a small boutique hotel in San Antonio Texas The Fairmount I've stayed there for year's,bar changed hands now it is top notch. bartender is out of Boston and keeps a lot of different cordials on hand from South America. Best Manahattan I have ever experienced

Bugguy

Practically Family
Cincinnati Magazine actually rated the #1 Dive Bar. It was a half block from my apartment and I found it all by myself - didn't need a magazine. Very blue collar. You know its the right place if the bartender periodically goes around and picks up the heads of those patrons resting on the bar to see in they're dead or alive. It's considered bad form to call a squad.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Have not found the perfect bar yet. For me it would be if I feel like dressing up I would fit right in, if I am a slob I will fit right in, If a beer is needed they will have a great craft section, If a Martini is in order it will be perfect, and most of all if I wear my fedora they will think that it is cool. MY quest continues.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The ONLY THING that makes The Library slightly imperfect is the fact that they have PBR on tap. Otherwise, it's a damn fine place. An old favorite from Wichita called MaGoo's has re-opened. It is a great neighborhood drunk sort of bar. We used to go by for lunch, they have great specials. One beer for lunch maximum, but the locals usually had a few more. They were walking home though.

later

gear-guy

Practically Family
never cared about schlitz, and colt 45 gave me an awful headache for some reason.. What's funny about 8 years ago I was in Savannah GA. when going to a bar to eat and drink I saw all of the college kids drinking PBR. I didn't realize that it was still being made. I asked them why they were drinking it and of course the reply was $1 a can. Somethings never change.

You forgot King Cobra, Schlitz, Colt 45 and Zima. :p

gear-guy

Practically Family
Hi

The ONLY THING that makes The Library slightly imperfect is the fact that they have PBR on tap. Otherwise, it's a damn fine place. An old favorite from Wichita called MaGoo's has re-opened. It is a great neighborhood drunk sort of bar. We used to go by for lunch, they have great specials. One beer for lunch maximum, but the locals usually had a few more. They were walking home though.

later

Leave me some

never cared about schlitz, and colt 45 gave me an awful headache for some reason.. What's funny about 8 years ago I was in Savannah GA. when going to a bar to eat and drink I saw all of the college kids drinking PBR. I didn't realize that it was still being made. I asked them why they were drinking it and of course the reply was $1 a can. Somethings never change.

PBR is cheap so it will always have a following. :p The can tasting beer. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Me, I've always judged a bar by how the bathroom is. If it has a valet that hands me a cloth towel at the sink, I'm in the wrong place. If you can smell sewage before you even go in, I'm in the wrong place. If it's clean, nice decor, smells good, smooth jazz and soft lights, I'm in the right place.
So true, so true. Europeans will testify that although the Greeks can cook a fine meal, serve fabulous wine and get totally rat-arsed on Ouzo, their sewers are what is known as, microbores. In other words, the pipes cannot cope with soiled toilet tissue. Apologies if anyone is eating, you take a dump, clean up and dispose of the soiled tissue, in a waste basket beside the lavatory pan. It's the same everywhere in Greece and the Greek Islands.

Bugguy

Practically Family
You forgot King Cobra, Schlitz, Colt 45 and Zima. :p

I grew up on Schlitz till it started tasting like acetone. It was big in the Chicago bars with Strohs and Hamms. About 2-3 years ago, the supermarket chain had Schlitz 12-packs in the cooler. Didn't last. I wonder why?

Back then the neighborhood bars were as much a social club as a bar. The good ones even had annual family picnics. I guess the intent was to buy-off the wife and kids for the hours dad spent unwinding. Today they'd be dive bars, which sort of explains my affinity for them.

I grew up on Schlitz till it started tasting like acetone. It was big in the Chicago bars with Strohs and Hamms. About 2-3 years ago, the supermarket chain had Schlitz 12-packs in the cooler. Didn't last. I wonder why?

Back then the neighborhood bars were as much a social club as a bar. The good ones even had annual family picnics. I guess the intent was to buy-off the wife and kids for the hours dad spent unwinding. Today they'd be dive bars, which sort of explains my affinity for them.

Well at least Schlitz tastes like something. PBR doesn't taste like anything but the can. And the usual question-- did it give you the Schlitz? :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

Schlitz re-introduced their old 1960's formula of beer about that time. For about a year it was about a dollar less than Bud, then it became a Boutique beer and became a dollar more than Bud. The old Schlitz recipe is good, but not THAT good.

Later

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I grew up on Schlitz till it started tasting like acetone.

Oy. My earliest beer was Schmidt's, because that's what my Dad drank.

Early on, during my summers in upstate NY, I was subjected to Genesee beers, namely the beer, and cream ale. Both of them gave me the 'ohmygawdwhereisthenearestcommode' episodes.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I stated in an earlier post that my quest continues for the perfect bar, but this bar is as close that I will find. AS to date my favorite establishment that I have found. http://www.thecheekymonk.com/. Outstanding beer great happy hour, wonderful food,and fantastic servers. I'm in Denver often and this is always my second visit when I am there. Daughter being the first.

hatguy1

One Too Many
That works for me. I have seen him in concert once upon a time. Had a student who said he worked for him and that he was a nice guy; the kind I would have gotten along with. Might have, who knows? :D

I wouldn't be surprised. He put together one heckuva benefit concert last summer for the Moore, OK tornado victims.

anyexcuse

New in Town
Any bar where the bartender knows what "neat" is. (My expectations have been lowered over the years)

Around here if I ask for something "straight", they usually give me a shot glass. If I ask for "neat", 8 out of 10 times they don't know what that means. I've been asked if I lost a bet when ordering a Wild Turkey on the rocks. The main question for most people at a bar around here seems to be Bud Light, or Miller Lite, or Coors Light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21