Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Paint On A Leather Jacket 101, Part 5. Painting Demo I (simple mission tally)

Stand By

One Too Many
So, here we are - painting at last!

So you should have a stencil made, and to re-cap, here I am making my mission tally stencil:

MissionTallyStencil#1.JPG MisionTallyStencil#2.JPG

As I said, you first need to create a white backdrop to your work in the shape of your letters or chosen design - to make your colours work properly. Try painting any red onto a backdrop of dark bitter chocolate- or seal brown-coloured piece of leather and you will instantly see it disappear into it and it will be almost indiscernible. However, try painting it on a white base and you will make the colour "pop" straight away.

So, first you prepare some Flow Improver (10% to water by volume) and you will use that and mix into your white paint.

FlowImprover.JPG

With your brush loaded appropriately, hold your stencil on your jacket and make a careful mental note of a position within the outline of the letter or design – keeping your eye on where that was on the jacket, flip back the stencil (like an animator of old) and put a touch of white paint where your mental note told you it would be. Carefully replace the stencil back over your mark of paint (being careful not to smudge the paint and get it on your stencil - but if you do, it just wipes off with a wet Q-Tip) and you should see the outline of the letter or design safely around it. Hopefully you got that right.
If you didn't, lift the stencil away from the paint and quickly remove the paint with a wet cloth or Q-Tip - and try again.
If you did get it right, you are on your way!
Add more paint towards the outline of the letter you want, continuing until you get precisely to the border outline as per your stencil.

To demonstrate this, I shall now add a mission tally to the front of the jacket (because we rescued a dog with a desperately sad tale from Mexico, so this jacket is a work in continual progress!).
So to recap, I have my stencil ready and have it in place.

MisionTallyStenci#4.JPG
MisionTallyStenci#5.JPG

Then I lift back the stencil … and add my first dab of white – as a landmark of sorts.

MisionTallyStenci#6.JPG

Then I replace the acetate sheet and want to see that the landmark I made is inside the outline of the bomb shape.

MisionTallyStenci#7.JPG

Then I lift the acetate and add more paint towards the edge of my bomb outline.

Then keep going, working the stencil back and forth as you review your progress.

MisionTallyStencil#10.JPG

Continue to flesh out that letter/bomb tally/design until you have that silhouette complete. Then allow to dry (an hour for that first coat should be fine).
Then I add the Cadmium Yellow Deep.

MisionTallyStencil#11.JPG

And I fill in the entire sihouette.

MisionTallyStencil#13.JPG

And I add a touch of Dark Umber/Mars Black to fill in the detail.
When it is dry, I go over again with a little Cadmium Yellow Deep to bring in the edges on the black detail and make it tidy.

MisionTallyStencil#14.JPG

So using that same back-and-forth animator-style technique with the stencil to verify what you're doing, start doing the same with any other colours in the design. You will be amazed by how quickly you make progress.

MisionTallyStencil#15.JPG

And if you make an error on the jacket by accidentally making the border too big or not straight enough and you wish to correct it but the paint has dried, then get the colours you'll need to match the colour of the hide of the jacket and paint over your mistake - so you're erasing your work that way, from the outside in towards the border on your stencil . Note that this colour-matching is tricky but very achievable. I know, I’ve done it. The paint will dry matt and the jacket will have a gloss/semi-gloss finish to it, so you will need to restore that satin finish over your correction to blend it in. More on that later ...

Also, the mission marker is looking very clean and bright at this point - and I will be toning it down with some "weathering" or "aging" to blend it in with the others. How I do that will be covered later in a section by itself.

And that's the basic principle of using the stencil and using the painting technique that I use.

So, next we move on to something a bit more advanced - but extending the same principles - and Lucky Dog …

End of Part 5.

Last edited:

kampkatz

Practically Family
Thanks for the expert advice, Stand By. Your tutorials are explained well enough so those of us who are learning-challenged would have to try really hard to mess it up.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for the expert advice, Stand By. Your tutorials are explained well enough so those of us who are learning-challenged would have to try really hard to mess it up.

Thank you Kampkatz - it was always my intention that the threads would have a certain "flow" and it would all make some kind of sense …!
And you're welcome. I'm glad to share.

Er ... I'm sorry, what question? Did you ask one on one of the threads and I missed it?

I posted saying something like "nice work, and it's so prefect compared to pics and vintage jackets I've seen. Do customers prefer the look over the older hand-drawn stuff (which is sketchy at times)? Just curious as I could see a market for both perspectives...it was deleted or I am losing my mind...not unlikely.

Stand By

One Too Many
I posted saying something like "nice work, and it's so prefect compared to pics and vintage jackets I've seen. Do customers prefer the look over the older hand-drawn stuff (which is sketchy at times)? Just curious as I could see a market for both perspectives...it was deleted or I am losing my mind...not unlikely.

Thanks for clarifying! And no - not inappriate at all !

I really wish I could have done one thread instead of breaking it up like this into parts, but having composed my thread and then trying to post it, I saw that I was limited to 10,000 words-per-thread and I was massively over that! So I'm doing this in parts and I'm sorry if you asked a question on one of the ones so far and I missed it. Hopefully when I'm all done, perhaps a bartender will combine them and put it on as a "sticky" so it'll be easy for others to consult and digest …?

I don't have any customers - I have a profession already (medical-technical) and just do this for my jackets and enjoyment (so far!) - but I think that there will always be people who like both styles. As I said, I don't care much for modern airbrushing styles and the type of pin-up content used in the modern USAF, but it sells like hot cakes at air shows on T-shirts and caps etc.
I just think that there's nothing like the old style and a paint brush imbues a certain quality and appeal - like vinyl over digital music.

Last edited:
Thanks! I posted this AM - odd.
I don't like airbrushed stuff either. This is really nice. I was just thinking that it looked so perfect as to put the purists on high alert ;)
The breakdowns are nice actually - I like seeing the different "episodes" much the same as the Aero thread that Sloan did...

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks! I posted this AM - odd.
I don't like airbrushed stuff either. This is really nice. I was just thinking that it looked so perfect as to put the purists on high alert ;)
The breakdowns are nice actually - I like seeing the different "episodes" much the same as the Aero thread that Sloan did...

Thanks for saying so!
My inspiration was actually Fine Scale Modeller magazine! They present how-to guides beginning with a section of text - and then a series of photos that illustrates the points in the text. They really work for me as I'm a visual kind of guy (too much text can bore me) and I just presented it the way I'd want it to be for me if I was reading and wanting to learn …
I'm glad you really like the show so far! Thanks.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great tutorial, and congratz for the new pet adoption/ saved :)
Thank you for sharing these tips and showing steps of it

BTW, that stencil transfer method is more manual than I imagined it, ... since you do this often, is it possible to make a stamp from wood or rubber for the silhouette of the bomb, so at least you can stamp on that white basic outline

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
These have been great. I wonder if there's a possibility of locking these up when done? It would be great for quick reference. I'm really impressed.

Stand By

One Too Many
great tutorial, and congratz for the new pet adoption/ saved :)
Thank you for sharing these tips and showing steps of it

BTW, that stencil transfer method is more manual than I imagined it, ... since you do this often, is it possible to make a stamp from wood or rubber for the silhouette of the bomb, so at least you can stamp on that white basic outline

Thanks for the kind comments as usual! :)
The thing is with a stamp - we never know what we'll be rescuing next, so I don't know how the pet will be represented. You'll see the decoy mission on there - that's a parrot that a guy was wanting to re-home as he was leaving the country and going back to Iran, so we took him in (the parrot - not the Iranian!). The small bombs are a couple of Chihuahuas (brothers - so they're together) and an old Dachshund that was punted from the family home as he got old and a little blind and was found wandering as a stray in Texas … so we never know! So it's just easier to just make a new stencil if I need to or use the old one again ...

Enjoying this!!! Thanks for taking the time. I hope to see more people try this out. I certainly will.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks Monitor!
I'm very glad to know you're feeling inspired! I'll try and get the next part out in the next day or two and you'll see how those basic techniques are expanded on to something more advanced - but it's the same basic idea. You'll see …! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points