Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to shrink jeans

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I bought a pair of Lee 101 Rider selvage jeans, size W32 L34 - a size that is usually a perfect fit. The jeans arrived, and it would be the perfect pair, if only the waist wasn't a little too large. approx 1-1.5 inches too large. Is there a way to shrink them to fit me better without losing the color?

I soaked it in lukewarm water for 3 hours then wore it while it dried. It shrank by 1 inch approx, but not permanently, a few days later I was back to square one.

Do you have any good advice for me? Thanks in advance!

GregGale

One of the Regulars
I would like to add that apart from the waist the jeans fit me perfectly, and going down to size 31 would be too tight in all other areas according to measurements.

Edward

Bartender
I stopped using the tumble dryer for my jeans years ago because I found it seemed to shrink them. Not sure you'll get permanent shrinkage, though; for every pair of jeans I had that felt 'shrunken' when thy came out of the wash, they loosened up as I wore them.

FWIW, I tend to find American brands always seem to equate to measure the same as a one-size-up equivalent in the UK; seems they more often make an additional comfort allowance. I guess you could have a seamstress taken them in by an inch if you're finding washing won't shrink them to what you like.

The other risk with the dryer is that the length might shrink as well which it sounds like wouldn't work for you.

Since it seems as if the waist only needs to come in a bit, a tailor could do that for not a lot of money (even in NYC, where everything is overpriced, a small alteration like that would probably be no more than $10 which probably isn't crazy as selvage jeans tend to cost a decent amount).

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi,

I bought a pair of Lee 101 Rider selvage jeans, size W32 L34 - a size that is usually a perfect fit. The jeans arrived, and it would be the perfect pair, if only the waist wasn't a little too large. approx 1-1.5 inches too large. Is there a way to shrink them to fit me better without losing the color?

I soaked it in lukewarm water for 3 hours then wore it while it dried. It shrank by 1 inch approx, but not permanently, a few days later I was back to square one.

Do you have any good advice for me? Thanks in advance!
Pizza! it worked for me! LOL! Aww just fooling. You will not dry them to end up where you want them to be size wise....having them altered is the best thing to do...and if done right the "extra" that the jeans are taken in will still be intact on the inside of your jeans in case you do eat a lot of pizza and need them to be let out. Drying the jeans in dryer will however take up some length which you may not want to have happen.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
late to the party....but in my personal experience you have to soak the jeans for 2 or 3 days in water.

then put them in the dryer

it worked for me

hope that helps.

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice. 2-3 days? that sounds excessive. Will they stretch again, is the shrinking temporary?

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice. 2-3 days? that sounds excessive. Will they stretch again, is the shrinking temporary?

You can soak the jeans in water overnight, that's ok too.

My jeans do not stretch again ( apart from the normal wear and tear, etc...)

Shrinking is not temporary, but like I said, denim tends to give with wear.

Eamonsieur

New in Town
Jeans are at their heart a cotton fabric garment. They are going to stretch out eventually with wear, no matter how expertly shrunk.

For a permanent solution, you might consider bringing it to a tailor to get the seat brought in an inch to fit you better.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Jeans are at their heart a cotton fabric garment. They are going to stretch out eventually with wear, no matter how expertly shrunk.

For a permanent solution, you might consider bringing it to a tailor to get the seat brought in an inch to fit you better.

I agree.

Take them to a tailor and be done with the whole....thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points