Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Store Hats

shamus

Suspended
I have about 10 hats or so but only 2 hat boxes... What's the best way to store them?

Can I buy new hat boxes?

Should I just make some?

What's the best material to store hats? I'm thinking cedar to keep any critters away...

Should I store them with the brim rolled up or as I wear them?

what's everyone doing on this topic?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Shamus...

You could probably order a few hat boxes from a number of places. I get mine from Levine Hat Company in St. Louis. Nothing fancy, just nice heavy cardboard hat boxes that keep the lids from getting beat up and dusty. You can probably email them to see if they can ship you a few.

In a bind, you could use those plastic shopping bags. One inside the other.
I don't mind moth balls so that is what all of mine get in their boxes. Works well too.
I store them as I wear them as long as there is room in the box. The darned Stratoliner boxes really can do a number on the hats but they do drop back into shape fairly easily. The white boxes are fine for storing hats as well. They are a little larger than the original boxes but they do the job. I search for original boxes wherever I can find them. People who have no idea about hats separate hats and boxes all the time. I can always find more boxes than hats for some reason. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have original hat boxes from the 30's, 40's and early 50's. I keep most of my hats in them. The ones I use a lot are hanging in my closet on nails I put in the wall. They hang nicely and they look good (the hats that is) I don't really get to much dust in the closet that I can see. But, when they get dusty I just pull out the vacuum cleaner and suck it all off. This isn't bad for hats at all. Just takes a little time.

Moth balls are a life saver! Some here don't care for the smell but I've grown to love the smell because I know the little beasties hate it! And it also makes my closet smell real vintage!

Root.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
I've been told that it's better to store (cheap) snap-brim hats with the brim up, as this helps it to keep its shape - can anyone confirm or deny that this is a good idea?

dlgilbert

New in Town
The best hat storage boxes I've seen, bar none, have been the ones I've gotten when I've ordered hats from Noggintops. They're sort of a hat cradling box with a hole for the crown so you can store them upside down and securely. I don't know where they get them or if they're custom made, though. Might be worth asking Doug where he gets them. :)

Feraud

Bartender
nicolasb said:
I've been told that it's better to store (cheap) snap-brim hats with the brim up, as this helps it to keep its shape - can anyone confirm or deny that this is a good idea?
I believe this is good advice for all hats. I keep my hats upside down(brim up) in their hat boxes.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
I believe this is good advice for all hats. I keep my hats upside down(brim up) in their hat boxes.
I didn't just mean the hat should be stored upside down (although you're right, it should) I meant I was told that it should be stored with the brim curled towards the top of the crown rather than curled down at the front and up at the back (as it normally would be when you're wearing the hat).

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the tips, guys. It is timely to me right now as I am packing to go back to Iowa and be with my sainted mother for a spell. I have to make the agonizing decision: what hats do I store, which ones go with me?

I decided my best hats/caps, and the ones I wear the most, go with me, the rest can be stored until I get back to California, whenever that is.

Do mothballs smell better than they used to? I have cedar blocks and can get cedar strips. I just remember mothballs from my younger days and they smelled weird.

karol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cedar

I'm no moth ball fan.

But if I'm not mistaken, cedar has been completely
debunked. Apparently studies show it doesn't work
at all.

There are pheremone traps that work okay, but not
for long periods.

JeffW

Familiar Face
Cedar Lined Closet

I keep my felt hats in a closet that is lined with eastern red cedar. Does anyone know if the will help in keeping pest away from my hats?

K.D. Lightner said:
Do mothballs smell better than they used to? I have cedar blocks and can get cedar strips. I just remember mothballs from my younger days and they smelled weird.

They smell the same to me. You get used to it after a while and I guess I am one of the few who don't mind the smell a bit.
The problem with cedar is that it is fine as long as the smell remains constant. It usually doesn't and requires sanding or shaving to revive the smell. I just throw in the moth balls and replace them when the disappear. You know for sure that they are working and when to replace them for full effectiveness. I understand they come in different scents now so you can check that out if they still smell the same to you. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana