Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

Edward

Bartender
Fell in with a Christy's roll-able furfelt a couple of years ago, though not yet transported it flying. Did take a different, non-rolling furfelt to China once - packed it with socks / tight between other things, no problem (same hat later also survived being rolled over by a wheel chair at Goodwood, so choose which hat you do this with carefully). Rollable Panamas work in hot climates, though in my experience once rolled it takes a lot to get them looking quite 'right' again. Mostly, I take caps for variation and pick one brimmed hat that flies with me as clothing (and which spends the flight in the overhead locker. Wouldn't ravel with a hat about which I was so precious I had to wear it all the time or be very inconvenienced with). I did once fly with two Akubra Capricorns, one in a polythene bag, the other on my head until I got on the plane. I did stick those one inside the other just in case they queried it re hand luggage as I also had another bag, but no problem. That's something to think about: if (as I always do on my own money) you have to fly steerage, a hat carrier will be your one permitted item gone. I'd rather have a hat less while I'm away than other limits this could cause me - YMMV.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That's about the approach I'll be using in April. The Akubra Stylemaster will go on my head while a tweed driving cap and a wool felt walkabout will get packed surrounded by sox, etc. I expect it to be quite brisk in Holland and Belgium at that time of year and want to be properly prepared.

Mark Butcher

Familiar Face
I read about this idea somewhere in the lounge a few months back and when I went to Hawaii, I put it in to practice. I just carried the clothes pin in my brief case.

2012-02-11_14-02-23_922.jpg
ce.

[video=youtube;i3Fo6iWr1QM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Fo6iWr1QM&context=C30ab935ADOEgsToPDskKYa-asBd4NenotSJ0YOMfX[/video]

Well if he had left it on the Aircraft there would be a chance of having it returned to him

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I usually find a spot for mine in the overhead bin. In a pinch, I'll put it under the seat in front of me, with my small carry-on.

Lots of folks here are far more protective of their hats than I am of mine. I've never had a hat "crushed," and in any case, a good hat pops back into shape, no?

I'd never wear mine on a plane because a) it seems like an indoor space, with the accompanying rules of etiquette that implies and b) the back of the brim jabs against the headrest, and I don't want to be forced to hold my head forward enough to prevent that.

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Just did a quick 36-hour turn around trip to Houston this week (from Ft. Laud). Wore my vintage Stetson. Wrapped it in my knock-around traveling blazer and gently tucked it under the seat in front. I don't mind sacrificing leg room for my cover!

On another note, had my shoes shined at the airport. What a simple, cheap, and wonderful pleasure!

NivlemRulz

New in Town
My last trip to Germany I held the hat on my lap the whole way over, it was a little bit of a pain, but the overheads are too full to even try to put it there

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Flying With Your Hat

I am going to fly to Atlanta in a couple weeks and would love to take one of my hats with me.

Looking for advice on what to do with my hat when in the air.

Overhead compartments are jam packed nowadays, so I really don't want to risk that. Do you keep your hat in your lap during the flight? I would think wearing it would be considered bad form.

Thanks in advance for the input!

majormoore

Vendor
I fly all the time during a year , and always wear a wide brim western hat, hat either stays on my head or will hold it in my lap. If and when they stop allowing the over size bags to be put in the over head bins, I might put my plastic hat box with my hats in the over head bin.

Major Moore

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I fly a lot, all over the world, with a VS custom fedora. I always have the plastic bag with me, that Art sent with the hat. It folds up very small and fits into the pocket on my cargo pants. When going through security, I take the bag out, unfold it, put the hat into it and put it into the security bin. No problem. On the other side, I take it back out, get all the air out of the bag, and fold it up very small again and put it back into the thigh pocket for next time.

I also carry a white 13 gallon garbage bag all rolled up tight and small, for the flight itself. During the flight, if the seat back is tall enough to be a nuisance, hitting the back of the brim, I'll take off my hat and put it onto the fold-down tray in front of me. When drinks or dinner is served, I take the garbage bag out of my pocket and put the hat into it and stash it below the tray and between my kneees, protecting it from coffee, food stains, etc. After refreshments I take it back out and put it onto the tray.

I use the clear plastic for security so it doesn't look like I'm hiding anything, and the white plastic to preserve the transparent ones longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana