• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

"I Am Dandy"

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by dhermann1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. TT you show a good working knowledge of the late 70's punk scene and I am actually quite impressed!
    I used to love Crass's 'Shaved Women' track...I was I hasten to add around 15 at the time!!!

2. Panadora

Panadora Practically Family

[video=youtube;vXQ-CzyMyCg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQ-CzyMyCg[/video]:D

3. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

I don't think we should mention Crass on here - they were so political even the mention of their name breaks the 'no politics' rule.

But do check out the film 'There is no authority but yourself' you can find it online easily. it's all about Crass, with loads of interviews.

"Do they owe us a living? Of course they do, of course they do, of course they ******* do!"

4. cpdv

cpdv One of the Regulars

I find that there seems to be some confusion between a Fop and Dandy which are NOT even close to the same thing. For one to be a dandy it is also an attitude that goes along with your dress. Some of the men who are classed as dandies are in fact fops. Being a dandy is all about elegance and refinement as well as being slightly haughty. You must speak lightly of serious matters and very seriously of light matters and above all if you are not then you then at least act blasé. Fops are loud (in all ways including dress).

5. What it sounds like to me is "Us? We're dandies. Those silly, prancing fools over there? Fops. Except for that one in the corner, he's a coxcomb."

6. cpdv

cpdv One of the Regulars

Oh dear I forgot...we don't get along. Perhaps some reading on the subject and in Beau Brummel will enlighten you as to the differences historically and fashion wise? With some study you will find that the differences do not quite match the definition that the central part of the State as invented. And no dandies are not modest, I apologize.
    I shamelessly took this cartoon off the internet just for a quick point as to the major differences in dress between the two.
    [​IMG]

7. The guy from the Johnnie Walker ads meets Tallulah Bankhead. Oh, the humanity.

8. Panadora

Panadora Practically Family

And this fellow would be hip?

MairePSKrøye1892.jpg
    Year 1892

9. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

... or just a continental European.

10. cpdv

cpdv One of the Regulars

Spoken like a true Englishman! :p

11. I believe people think of me i'm a dandy, I hope they are right

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

12. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

I hope people think of me as well dressed, but not a dandy. I'm at a stage in my career where I need to be viewed as oh-so-serious. Dandy might cross the line to unserious or even, god forbid, fun.
    I shall save my jodhpurs, cravats, polka dot bow ties, vests, pocket watches, 3-inch brims, walking-sticks and artistically clashing colors/patterns/fabrics for when I retire.
    And then I will wear them all at once and every day.

13. foreverhandsome21

foreverhandsome21 New in Town

I actually have those uniform and dress until now, my father gave it to me as a celebration on that age and I never bother wearing it it's awkward when your gonna wear it.

14. foreverhandsome21

foreverhandsome21 New in Town