Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Beautiful Moon! I have mine in about that shape, but mine can get a little wavy. A little bit ago, I steamed it out flat on the kitchen counter and it naturally took that form. Maybe a little hairspray is in order. [emoji6]

When I do a conversion where I've ironed the brim flat, I turn down the front by laying the brim on a counter top and lifting the hat (after steaming). I do the opposite for the back. I try to steer clear of messing with the brim edges because it's tough to get them straight again. The result is usually a soft swoop in the brim.

Here is a recent conversion from having swept up sides to flat

20150729_090923.jpg

Roger

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've found, both in my own hat and from what I've seen of others, the hat band tends to be about an eighth of an inch too high. Anybody else notice this?

I have noticed this on my CDs ... but my Fed IV band sits beautifully

I have seen that on others though ... I was lucky to get a good pick of the batch I guess

Fed IV question...

What is everyone doing to the brim at the rear of the hat? Curling it up? Leaving it flat? Snapping it down for a safari look?

I find that's the hardest part of the hat to give a definable shape. If I recall, the hat comes not only in an open crown, but a flat brim. Shaping a flat brim without a flange isn't something I know much about other than trial and error.

I'd love to know what others are doing.
Every Akubra hat I've received has developed slightly more brim curl/cupping/deeper flanging on their own during the first two or three weeks of my wearing them, so I leave the brims alone and allow them to do just that. After that I'll "snap" the front of the brim down, even though the brim on the Fed IV isn't flanged to "snap" down the same way it is on, say, the Campdraft (at least not in my experience); a suitable application of distilled water usually convinces the brim(s) to take the shape I want.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
When I do a conversion where I've ironed the brim flat, I turn down the front by laying the brim on a counter top and lifting the hat (after steaming). I do the opposite for the back. I try to steer clear of messing with the brim edges because it's tough to get them straight again. The result is usually a soft swoop in the brim.

Here is a recent conversion from having swept up sides to flat

View attachment 33749

Roger

That is exactly what I do as well on certain brims except I roll side to side as I lift depending on the look I'm after. Unlike most I shape my Campdrafts with more of a western flair, simple center crease, no pinch, and roll (curl) the brim sides a little then dip, not snap, the brim front and back slightly. I'ts a look I favor for that hat. Some hats need ironing to coax them to shape.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
No Bob, but I promise I'll get this posting pictures down soon, my grandson son will walk me through it.
Ok. Lol. Took me a long time to figure out too. I'm not as smart as Fruno and Charlie.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got this Heritage Fawn in from Down Under. It only took 6 days which is unusual because it usually takes 10-11 days. The heritage felt is definitely more substantial meaning thicker and stiffer than the imperial felt. It does have a very nice sweatband in it. I bought this for the Heritage Fawn color and I am very pleased with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112