Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

RJR

That was in the Akubra Campdraft thread. Lounger Duper contacted Sam at Everything Australian in December of 2013 about a special run of Campdrafts in Black with a 2-5/8" brim, but there ultimately wasn't much interest. Subsequent to that there was discussion about changing the color to Fawn or Bran, but word came back through Sam that Akubra had no interest in doing a special run regardless of the color, so the discussion ended.
Thanks,that's what I thought.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I looked at any examples of what other people have done with their Akubras or other hats to make a good Raiders Indy fedora. I spent tons of time examining screenshots of the movie its self as well trying to pin point the details as well as I can. So I bought a Akubra Fed IV for the base foundation. I replaced the ribbon with a nice black one made of rayon amd cotton. The bow was a pain. Hopefully it looks great. I tried to emulate the "Raiders Turn". Shaping was a pain because Akubras are very well made to keep shape. I'm having a hard time rolling the brim up on the sides. Here are some pics. How did I do?
cb632b915d7bdda2f91614032f272557.jpg
3c87ede299afdb6f952ef31e5f9557c7.jpg
5babcf3eee6d970b34d0d9828583fd76.jpg
513d79d00a9f2d5e883e3251d00de133.jpg
f0d03bb8f8f8c44e304e36e799a1b309.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cropdustdair

New in Town
Federation IVs are great! I'm not too fond of the deluxe versions. But the regulars look the Raiders part for sure! Great price for a brand new one too.
The Carbon Gray is spot on for a Clipper fedora from Raiders too!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Some Fed IVs seem to not be as full on the sides as others. My brown one, like the one pictured here, is one of these. But then, it's been out in the rain a number of times, whereas my gray and tawny are fuller and resemble the Raiders hat more in shape, if not color. They have not been out in the rain.

I'd pull the ribbon down a bit to cover the stitching, accuracy be damned.

cropdustdair

New in Town
Some Fed IVs seem to not be as full on the sides as others. My brown one, like the one pictured here, is one of these. But then, it's been out in the rain a number of times, whereas my gray and tawny are fuller and resemble the Raiders hat more in shape, if not color. They have not been out in the rain.

I'm in the market for a Fed IV regular in dark brown. Size 58cm. What size is yours?

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer

Actually the raiders fedora i heard has the stiching showing believe it or not. I have the ribbon on there good so it wont move anymore down. Luckily I found the ralight ribbon cause it tapered nicely with steam.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Here are the most recent photos of my triplets:

Fed_IV_Triplets_01_zpsweevitbt.jpg

Fed_IV_Triplets_02_zpsa9v4udll.jpg

I've had the Dark Brown (Imperial felt) since August of 2008, and the Tawny Fawn (Imperial felt) since October of 2013. Both hats have seen decent amounts of rain with no ill effects; if anything, the rain made the felt a little softer. I've had the Moonstone Gray (Heritage felt) since September of 2015, but it has only been lightly rained on once or twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk