Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Sam pulled off the tape's backing, so the tape is fastened in there. I know, I could hack away at the foam with scissors, but that'll leave the sweat sort of bumpy. The band is the thin flexible leather; I suspect this regular Fed IV got the deluxe sweat by mistake.

Is there a way to remove the tape without damaging the sweatband or the hat?
I pull reduction tape off sweats all the time ... just reach in and pull it off ...

sometimes only the foam comes off on parts of it leaving the adhesive there ... which is no big deal

but if you have to stretch it to wear it I would definitely reach in and just pull it off

it will literally take you 3 minutes

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I love my Fed IV, I like the brim too... but I keep thinking about trimming it to 2 5/8 or 2 1/2 evenly all the way around. Is this bad? Should I respect it and leave it as it is and just order a Campdraft instead and stop wondering?

But seriously (or slightly more serious than above), I am thinking of trimming and attempting to bind it (have some nice grosgrain woven edge). Views? Any photos of a trimmed or trimmed and bound Fed IV?
Here's a photo of my Moonstone Fed IV with a bound brim

CA3D89ED-7AC2-4737-83E8-D0870609E6E9_zpsdhwiuuha.jpg

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Feds look great in any configuration but I prefer unmodified as is, with the dimensional raw brim.

I keep oscillating. I really like a bound, cupped / flanged brim which does not quite work on a dimensional. I am not going for the famous movie explorer look.

Having said that, I got totally soaked twice last week and whilst the Penneys Marathon withstood (would still have preferred not to get it rained on that much) the Fed IV really did a great job and let me shape it a little more.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I keep oscillating. I really like a bound, cupped / flanged brim which does not quite work on a dimensional. I am not going for the famous movie explorer look.

Having said that, I got totally soaked twice last week and whilst the Penneys Marathon withstood (would still have preferred not to get it rained on that much) the Fed IV really did a great job and let me shape it a little more.
The Camp Draft fits those requirements but...
20170409_131306-1.jpg
I don't think the Feds dimensional brim necessarily makes one look like a famous movie explorer. Do I look like one? ;)

...I got totally soaked twice last week and whilst the Penneys Marathon withstood (would still have preferred not to get it rained on that much) the Fed IV really did a great job and let me shape it a little more.
That's one of the good things about Akubra hats. They like rain, and even if they get completely saturated they bounce right back for more as long as you give them a little care and allow them to dry on their own.

Resistance if futile!
Especially in this crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana