Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
IMG_812.jpg
IMG_813.jpg
IMG_814.jpg
IMG_811.jpg
I arrived at home base today and my FedIV was waiting! I didn't even wet it - I just bashed that dude. He creases like cardboard paper but wears like silk. I love him! I even went ahead and stitched in a feather a friend gave me yesterday...

I don't like the color. I was hoping for a "cornflakes yellow" and I got - honestly - a "turd brown." But we're stuck with each other now and I'm darn happy. What is about this hat that makes everybody so dang giddy when they get it? I've been traveling since 5 a.m. and all I wanted was sleep until I got this in my hands.

I arrived at home base today and my FedIV was waiting! I didn't even wet it - I just bashed that dude. He creases like cardboard paper but wears like silk. I love him! I even went ahead and stitched in a feather a friend gave me yesterday...

I don't like the color. I was hoping for a "cornflakes yellow" and I got - honestly - a "turd brown." But we're stuck with each other now and I'm darn happy. What is about this hat that makes everybody so dang giddy when they get it? I've been traveling since 5 a.m. and all I wanted was sleep until I got this in my hands.
I like it! Right out of the box it looks like it's been at home on your head for a while.

Is that the regular/Tawny Fawn, or the deluxe/Heritage Fawn? I've never seen the Heritage Fawn in person, but in photos the two colors seem to be so similar that I can never quite tell.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Is that the regular/Tawny Fawn, or the deluxe/Heritage Fawn? I've never seen the Heritage Fawn in person, but in photos the two colors seem to be so similar that I can never quite tell.

This is the regular/tawny fawn. My Banjo Paterson is in heritage fawn and it is a much lighter, grayish color. This tawny fawn is not a bad color I suppose, but it doesn't speak to me. I'll take it out in the sunlight today and see but I was super excited about a hat with more of a yellowish hue. I looked up the word "tawny" and the proper definition entails a yellowish or orangish tone, but I haven't seen a drop of it in this hat yet. The magical thing is - I don't care! I love it anyway! Hah!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is the regular/tawny fawn. My Banjo Paterson is in heritage fawn and it is a much lighter, grayish color. This tawny fawn is not a bad color I suppose, but it doesn't speak to me. I'll take it out in the sunlight today and see but I was super excited about a hat with more of a yellowish hue. I looked up the word "tawny" and the proper definition entails a yellowish or orangish tone, but I haven't seen a drop of it in this hat yet. The magical thing is - I don't care! I love it anyway! Hah!
Give it time... maybe it will speak to you at a later date.

Before I ordered my Tawny Fawn Fed IV back in 2013 I looked at a number of photos online to see if I could determine it's true color; talk about a fool's errand. I did find a few photos that made it look "warmer" and more "golden", but anyone who owns one knows that's not the case. Still, it's my favorite Akubra felt color so far and probably the hat I wear most often. But if Akubra ever makes the Fed IV in Whiskey... :D

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I suspect the hat colors of the Tawny Fawn vary by a considerable degree from one hat to another. I plan to go to Katoomba and look with my own eyes. I just don't see how the image below, which one of the loungers once posted, could ever be considered the same color as what I have in my possession.

This is the color I really, really wanted. I'm calling it "cornflake brown" or "cornflake yellow," depending on my mood.

IMG_0659.JPG

RJR

I suspect the hat colors of the Tawny Fawn vary by a considerable degree from one hat to another. I plan to go to Katoomba and look with my own eyes. I just don't see how the image below, which one of the loungers once posted, could ever be considered the same color as what I have in my possession.

This is the color I really, really wanted. I'm calling it "cornflake brown" or "cornflake yellow," depending on my mood.

View attachment 79962
Hat-Akubra-FED IV-Tawny 3.jpg
No bright sunlight but mine looks good to me.

View attachment 79962
That was one of the photos I found that got me hoping the Tawny Fawn would be a warmer color than it actually is. But capturing the true colors of these hat felts really depends on the lighting conditions and/or the skills of the photographer. Even something as relatively simple as direct sunlight isn't a guarantee.

tCtBpbe.jpg

That's my Tawny Fawn Fed IV. Same hat, same low-budget set-up, photographed in direct sunlight on different days. The photo on the left was taken in early afternoon when the sun was high in the sky, but the photo on the right was taken later in the afternoon when the setting sun's light was filtered through more of our polluted atmosphere, which gave both the felt and the ribbon a warmer appearance. Of the two I'd say the color on the left is more accurate, but if you only saw the photo on the right...

I look like a hippy gangster in this new hat. It's great!
The feather does give it a little more of a "bohemian" vibe, especially with that gear. But I think it would look equally at home if you were wearing a suit and tie; a good example of how versatile our hats can be.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
...if you only saw the photo on the right...
Yes, the photo on the right is the color I had hoped for. But neither does the photo on the left reflect what the actual color of my hat is.

There's no way to sort the color variation over the internet though, since there are way too many variables to try to control. I'm just going to have to go to Katoomba in January and see if there is a large degree of variation in the tawny fawn color.

When I made my Tawny Fawn purchase I knew from all the photos online it was a 50/50 chance I would get either a color I love or a color that bores me. I made the purchase anyway because of my specific logistics: if the FED IV doesn't suit me, I can still get a bespoke made with Mike at Northwest Hats and have it delivered to a friend in Australia so that it's waiting for me when I arrive at the end of the year. Between now and then I'll be in multiple countries including three months in India so I wanted a new hat for that trip.

I have full confidence the new Tawny Fawn and I are gonna have a great time together in India - even if the color does not exactly thrill me the hat's other qualities do!

ivansmith1590

New in Town
View attachment 79782 View attachment 79784 View attachment 79785 View attachment 79781 I arrived at home base today and my FedIV was waiting! I didn't even wet it - I just bashed that dude. He creases like cardboard paper but wears like silk. I love him! I even went ahead and stitched in a feather a friend gave me yesterday...

Dude the hat looks nice. You wear it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points