Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ID Bracelet

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Last night my mother surprised me with my Grandfather's WWII ID Bracelet. My Grandmother purchased it for him before he headed to England and he wore it through D-Day and for the remainder of the war. Unfortunately he passed away when my mom was two due to polio and complications of wounds received in WWII (died in the 1950s). My Grandfather was a motorcycle dispatch rider in the 29th Inf. Div's 121st Combat Engineers and when they went ashore on Omaha, he lost his 42 WLA Harley in 20+ feet of water (instant infantry man). I was able to track down a friend of his, Sgt. Noel Dube. D-Day historians may know Sgt. Dube's name as he was the engineer team leader that had the responsibility for destroying the famed Atlantic Wall. Anyway, my Grandfather tracked Noel down and helped lug the 10 cases of explosives to the wall and prep it for demolition. After D-day he returned to his Motorcycle and was the guy that walked into a mind field in German when Noel lost his left to pick him up and get him to the medics.

So, for now, I am wearing the bracelet and am will likely figure out a way to display it in short order in my home office so that I don't continue to wear away the engravings.

Face of the bracelet with his name Chris S. Gagnier ( I, along with Sgt. Dube's son, am named after my Grandfather) and his service number 31114493

IMG_0624.jpg

Back side bearing the words "Love Shirley" - my Grandmother's name.

IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice thing to have!! Congrats on that aquisition. I'm sure your granddad would be honored that his namesake has it, and - more importantly - is proud to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider