Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal bodies for the eras

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I have almost the same measurements as you two as well! I'm 33-25-34.5. My main gripe is that things are quite often very large in the bust when they fit me in the waist and hips. I have ample thighs as well, so it's hard for me to find jeans that fit. How come only "designer" type brands make high waisted jeans, but only make them for women with no thighs, booty or hips? It's a never ending source of frustration for me.

I also am petite (5'2") and have a very short waist, so I almost always have to get the waist altered in my vintage items. Actually, the only vintage items that I own that I didn't have to have the waist length altered in have the words "Teens" or "Juniors" in the tag.

That's funny that you say you've always wanted to be curvy, MaryAnne! You and I have almost the same measurements, but I've always been the "curvy" one in my group of friends. Then again, a lot of them are size 00s!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Pigeon Toe, what modern US. dress size do you wear? I buy EU36 even though in some brands I could theoretically buy the smaller size EU34 but like many women who've been through some pregnancies, I like to have ½-1" of room to hide lumps, bulges, etc. in.:eek: At 4'10"ft I can sometimes wear bootcut pants and jeans as regular length except they usually float at a stupid length right around my ankles so I can't wear them without boots and not look dorky.:rolleyes:

Don't get me started on coats! Short coats can pass for long coats on me and jackets fit like short coats but if the waistline is well defined, my waist may not be in the waistline of the coat.

Often times 1 piece dresses does this stupid thing in the back because I'm so short waisted and I'm not straight up and down or even close to it so the fabric in the back folds over and that's not a very flattering sight IMO. So I have to pass up on dresses that look lovely on all other parts of my body.:(

I don't really own anything vintage that I'm aware of but plenty of "old lady" thrift and as I stated before, my MIL's hand-me-downs plus newer retro clothes that falls into late 1940s-1950s-early 1960s. All of the retro stuff fits so-so because the designers have taken modern "considerations" in the cut and fitting of the garments. I buy all of the retro stuff from online shops/magazines that have a mature target group.

If I could afford it, I'd shop at the same places as my MIL.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
newtovintage said:
Hello ladies, my measurements are quite literally out of proportion. I am 38b - 35-49 and in modern clothes that is a difficult figure to clothe properly. I love the clothes of the 40's and am trying to find patterns for them so I can make my own. But I suppose I should have asked whether or not I could pull off the 40's styles. Any advice ladies?
Sarah
I am 36b-28-42 and I have a hard time finding 40's dresses that fit. My favorite era is the late 30's/early 40's but 50's dresses seem to work better on me. I do still wear alot of 40's stuff the skirts just need to be A-line or full.

Leila de la May

New in Town
MarieAnne said:
I'm almost the same! 33-26-34. I've always wanted to be curvy though. I had a baby six months ago and was hoping my hips would get a little wider but nothing has changed! I was really looking forward to filling some pencil skirts. I've thought of buying those padded shapers but never went through with it. I decided to try tight lacing, to narrow my waist and eccentuate my hips and bust. I got down to a 23" waist and my figure was super curvy but it was a little extreme. I wore a cardigan over my corset once and when it was buttoned up I looked like a corpse...totally not the look I was going for!

I know certain body types are more desirable than others but I think with the right clothes, you can at least create the illusion.

I'm also quite symilar to few of the girls who have posted lately at a petite height 5'2 and 34-25-34 measurements. My waist 'sounds' fairly small but I have quite a wide ribcage at about 31.5' (when lungs are empty) I find I lose a lot of definition at the waist when wearing clothes as it goes in and out to suddenly and to little to make a big enough impact. I have recently starting making my self an underbust waist cincher corset based on a late 19th century style corset pattern, I am hoping it will turn out well enough for me to tight lace with and that it might give me a little more definition at the waist. I shall let you all know of the results.

I also have trouble with vintage dresses, particularly 50s dresses being to tight around the ribcage and a little baggy at the bust but I normally manage to get around it somehow.

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
I am 36b-28-42 and I have a hard time finding 40's dresses that fit. My favorite era is the late 30's/early 40's but 50's dresses seem to work better on me. I do still wear alot of 40's stuff the skirts just need to be A-line or full.

I love 30's,40's, and some 50's clothing, but 40's are definitely my favorite, especially the hair (Katharine Hepburn's is my all-time inspiration) and I have been looking and I've found I have several dresses that are actually 40's vintage and a few repros as well. I have one that is a 1942 dress and is A-line and looks fabulous on my shape. I attended a friend's Homecoming last night and I can tell you this, not a soul was dressed in anything like myself. People stared at me in shock. I thought it was rather humorous, really. But anyhow, back on topic. A-line or fuller skirts do look better on my figure than pencils skirts or skirts that over emphasize my hips. I'm really looking hard for a few pairs of trousers for the cold months that have already begun. Good luck with your vintage attire.
Sarah

graverobbergirl

New in Town
I've perused/skimmed the thread, but I haven't seen much talk about us poor, top heavy gals. I'm 43" Bust (spilling out of my 36D...which was hard enough to find, why don't stores stock this size?), 33" waist, and 41" hips.

I don't have many vintage style clothing items. I recently made a 40s outfit (thank god for simplicity's cup variations on the jacket, but I had to fray-check the darts in the front of the blouse), but that's basically it. I've tried fitted shirts (the one I made myself was the best), but modern ones in the stores (I won't touch the neo-70s babydoll stuff) as well as tees look horrible on me. They cling to the breasts and swim at the waist, and make my hips look nonexistent, too.

I guess, like everyone else posting here, showing off the waist would be the solution, creating the illusion that my hips balance me off.

I'm never sure if necklines should be high or low on me. I'm short in the torso, so I'm afraid that high ones make me look frumpy, and there's just a great mass of fabric hanging out there in front. But I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with low ones or if they'll make me look top heavy.

Also, I've heard that you should use dark colors on parts you want to slim down and lighter colors in opposition to them. Is there an era where it was fashionable to wear darker on top and lighter on bottom?

Appreciate any help from you gorgeous gals!

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Lillemor said:
Often times 1 piece dresses does this stupid thing in the back because I'm so short waisted and I'm not straight up and down or even close to it so the fabric in the back folds over and that's not a very flattering sight IMO. So I have to pass up on dresses that look lovely on all other parts of my body.:(

It does that to me aswell and I found out that it is partly because I'm short waisted and partly because my "back waist" is sitting higher than my "front waist". It is pretty easy to fix though, instead of passing on pretty dresses. just open the waist seam in the back, lift the skirt seam up to where it meets the bodice without any bulk. sew togheter again. It looks great and it gives me a really nice, clean line that I never had before.

Anwen

New in Town
graverobbergirl said:
I'm never sure if necklines should be high or low on me. I'm short in the torso, so I'm afraid that high ones make me look frumpy, and there's just a great mass of fabric hanging out there in front. But I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with low ones or if they'll make me look top heavy.

I know the feeling. I tried on this top:

top.jpg

which was really flattering, yet still fairly modest, as the ruffles broke up the vast expanse of fabric in the same way as a low neckline would break the space between neck and bust point, but obviously without resulting in showing lots of cleavage... So I'm going to try to make something similar.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I'm about a 32D-26-35 like a modern 2/4, so most dresses from the 1930's fit great, since I have more of an hour glass shape. The 1920's work except for sometimes in the bust, but for some reason I always have to take stuff from the 1940's in. I have really narrow feet, so sometimes the shoes that are vintage tend to fit better in the width. Another decade that seems to be made for me is 1960's. I think you can pull off any era with the right padding or pinching.

Le.Raven

New in Town
I measure 38-27-39, and find that vintage clothing from the 1940s and 1950s fit better than anything else. Your figure would look great in clothing from those decades!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
graverobbergirl said:
I've perused/skimmed the thread, but I haven't seen much talk about us poor, top heavy gals. I'm 43" Bust (spilling out of my 36D...which was hard enough to find, why don't stores stock this size?), 33" waist, and 41" hips.

You're probably wearing the wrong bra size. You should DEFINITELY go in and be fit by a pro, think Macy's, or Victoria's secret, or anywhere else that does it.

graverobbergirl said:
modern ones in the stores (I won't touch the neo-70s babydoll stuff) as well as tees look horrible on me. They cling to the breasts and swim at the waist, and make my hips look nonexistent, too.

I guess, like everyone else posting here, showing off the waist would be the solution, creating the illusion that my hips balance me off.

The answer to both these things is tailoring. Buy to fit your bust, and bring them to the tailor to be altered to fit your small waist. Make sure there are darts that already exist in the items though, especially if it's patterned, so the garment can be altered cheaply.

graverobbergirl said:

V-necks are slimming on women with large busts, however, don't be vulgar! If you can see too much cleavage, put a cami underneath. Too much cleavage varies with taste and occasion ;) Steer clear of ruffles or anything that adds bulk to your bust. Also steer clear of knits with stripes that bend a lot at the bust -- if it's supposed to be straight and it looks like a wavy line, put it back!

graverobbergirl said:
Also, I've heard that you should use dark colors on parts you want to slim down and lighter colors in opposition to them. Is there an era where it was fashionable to wear darker on top and lighter on bottom?

Appreciate any help from you gorgeous gals!

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this, though it can look cute for certain looks. Get fit for a bra and get a reducer if you like, that should do the trick.

GOOD LUCK! PS - you have a nice hourglass, ebay should help you in your vintage search. Your size is definitely on the bay. Don't give up!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
graverobbergirl said:

My measurements are very similar to yours. I wear a 36GG bra. No, the regular stores don't stock, I either go downtown to a specialty shop or get them online. You should avoid high necklines. The best thing to look for is a v neck or shirtwaist dresses (the bodice looks like a classic button down blouse). A v neck is slimming to a full bust and doesn't need to be too low to do the trick.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kamikat said:
My measurements are very similar to yours. I wear a 36GG bra. No, the regular stores don't stock, I either go downtown to a specialty shop or get them online. You should avoid high necklines. The best thing to look for is a v neck or shirtwaist dresses (the bodice looks like a classic button down blouse). A v neck is slimming to a full bust and doesn't need to be too low to do the trick.

I agree with all this...except...high necklines look great on me! However, I'm long-waisted, so that might be the difference.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I agree with all this...except...high necklines look great on me! However, I'm long-waisted, so that might be the difference.

I'm jealous! A high neck makes my huge boobs look even bigger.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Hit or Miss

Lately I've been having trouble with my Stop Staring dresses as my waist has gotten about an inch wider (26, used to be 25). I actually had to sell 15 SS dresses on eBay!
But vintage seems to be hit or miss. I can wiggle into them with a girdle and be fine as long as I don't eat. ;)
But sometimes they're either too small or too big. I'm a 34-36 bust with a 26 waist, never measured my hips, but my bones are pretty small. I'm 5'3 and wear a 4P. I wish I had more of a waist though, sometimes I feel like a rectangle compared to the girls in my old 50's magazines!:rage:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
My measurements are the same for the most part as NicolettaRose, and late 20's through early 40s are the best fit for me. Ditto what ShoreRoadLady said- things were padded and cinched through all eras depending on fit. padding/cinching would make more eras fit.

Sunny

One Too Many
Y'know, Lauren's and ShoreRoadLady's comments have pointed out an attitude shift that makes another difference between classic style and now. Nowadays, we expect our clothes to both (1) fit US, just as we are, lumps and bones and all, because COMFORT is prized, and (2) Make us look Good and Fashionable. Worthy goals, right? Pretty impossible. (Like the costuming analogy: You want it Cheap, Accurate, and Fast - 2 are achievable, 3 are not barring a miracle.) The results of impossible expectations are (1) lycra in every material under the sun so it "fits" but highlights every bone and lump and (2) up-to-date styling for all, regardless of dress size. And let's face it, there are some styles or, heck, design features that will never look good on certain shapes or sizes.

I think women back then were a whole lot more realistic. Either (1) they shaped their bodies to fit their bodies to their clothes, or (2) they wore clothes that fit their bodies and accepted the styles and look as it was.

Women today have accepted the comfort mantra so exclusively that the idea of shapewear is almost unknown. When it's used, it's for emergency special-occasions help and that's it. They've also run with the Do What You Want thing, which leads to size 3X micro minis or similar abominations.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this now... I lost my train of thought! :eusa_doh: But I heartily agree that most figures really can do most styles, with judicious use of shapewear. Don't limit yourself! My example:

I'm about 34-27-38. Not quite an hourglass, not quite a pear. You'd think those big hips would look best in 50s full skirts though, right? Wrong! They make me look as WIDE as a barn door! That's because my hips are wide, and although I shouldn't lose any weight, I do have flab and a lot of it gives me hip-widening love handles. So full skirts --> wide, flat hips. As for 1930s and 1940s? Slim hips, right? Well, if they're fitted to me (taper a dress size 18 for the hips to a size 16 for the waist), they're quite flattering. Later 1930s and early 1940s are slim silhouettes, but they're not actually tight. This makes a huge difference! And the slightly wider shoulder line (not the heavy pads of later 1940s) helps to balance the hips.

So for my "natural" body, late 1930s and early 1940s are the most flattering - despite the fact that my measurements are neither the ideal slim-hipped slim-waisted girl nor the true hourglass.

What happens when I use shapewear? I just got the Rago waist cincher (21). It brings my waist down to about 26. It does not reduce my hips. What it does is take the wide, flat love handles and turn them into the round hips of the New Look. Hey presto! Suddenly full skirts look not only tolerable but very good indeed!

That's literally what shapewear does. It modifies your shape - not necessarily your size - to really give you the look of the period. The Look is more than just the clothes and the hairstyle. It's the whole effect. It even gives The Look when you're not even trying to be particularly vintage It's how I get comments from nice old men at church choir about "you're really into the 1940s, aren't you?" when the only vintage-styled I'm wearing is an ordinary gored skirt.

What I need to do now is get a good girdle for my new 1930s evening dress. Oh, what a pity! I shall have to buy more lingerie! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points