Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could solve just one mystery....

Rover.jpg

It killed one of the Men in Black! :p

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I just remembered an unsolved mystery I heard about years ago in Tom McCahill's magazine column. He told it as the most mysterious thing that had happened to him.

In 1930 he ran a garage in New York called the Murray Hill Garage. One of his customers was a young doctor. The afternoon of December 31 1930 it was snowing. The doctor arrived at the garage and asked permission to leave some things in the store room. It seems he was moving, and his new apartment wouldn't be ready for a few days. McCahill said OK, and the man went out to his car and brought in his belongings. During the afternoon he brought 3 or 4 car loads of clothes, his golf clubs, and boxes of personal items. Including medical equipment and instruments, and even his medical license and diplomas.

Around 6 o'clock he finished moving his stuff. Got in his car and drove away.

McCahill never saw him again. After a couple of weeks he tried to contact the guy. Of course he had left his old address, and they had no forwarding address. Inquiries at various hotels got no response. The AMA did not know where he was. The police had no knowledge of a death, accident or missing person.

After a year he cleared out his storage room, giving away the clothes to charity. He gave the medical supplies to another doctor he knew.

He kept thinking the man would turn up, but he never did. 30 years later he was still mystified.

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
To the OP and in this latest tangent, I would like to know the truth of whether the Nazis had a 'weapon', or a device called
'Die Glocke', (the Bell) which may have warped time/space. It was truly 'weird science' and not well controlled or understood by those in charge. The experiments, if they ever did take place, were interrupted by the end of the war. This has been written about by a respected journalist, Nick Cook, who wrote for Jane's. There are less reliable things written by the junk history author, Joseph P. Farrell. whose bio claims a Phd in something called 'patristics' from Oxford. Oh well.

Last edited:

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've been watching hunting Hitler on the History Channel, absolutely fascinated I think I'm sold on the fact that he made it out of Berlin. if he did battle smelled one of the biggest mysteries there is so I'd have to say that

Blackjack

One Too Many
I've been watching hunting Hitler on the History Channel, absolutely fascinated I think I'm sold on the fact that he made it out of Berlin. if he did battle smelled one of the biggest mysteries there is so I'd have to say that
Hahahaha I should know better than to use my phone when giving reply clearly AutoCheck isn't auto checking

filfoster

One Too Many
This series is fun. I read the 'Grey Wolf' book. Unfortunately for their premise, and fortunately for the world, they ignore a LOT of eyewitness (and 'ear-witness') testimony and dental records that are credible. It's possible someone high-ranking got away and used some of this stuff (Not Muller or Bormann, who have been, to the satisfaction of most, proved to have died in the war's final hours), but not The Chief. That sick, old monster died by his own hand.
Don't get me wrong; these folks have dredged up some interesting stuff but what they ignore results in hoaxy cherry-picking. It's still fun to watch.
Didn't any of these guys read any of the standard histories? He wasn't going to ruin his dramatic exit with a tawdry skeedaddle.

HistoryCopper

New in Town
For me it would be the Dahlia Case. I think all the pieces were there to solve it. I'm of the school of thought that they may have had a pretty good idea who did it but given the nature of LA city politics/corruption at the time, it was swept under the rug.

The Lindbergh case is another interesting one. If Hauptmann was involved, I really doubt he did it all by himself. There is definitely more to that story as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana