Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could solve just one mystery....

Story

I'll Lock Up
What really happened to the Hawaii Clipper?

http://www.hawaiiclipper.com/

getting-to-hawaii.jpg

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Well, most wild-eyed conspiracy stuff has simple answers that a few ill-informed skeptics don't want to face. :p

Unquestioned mystery that has an unquestionable answer, and my number one question I'd like answered: What happened to the Amber Room?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Smyat said:
Well, most wild-eyed conspiracy stuff has simple answers that a few ill-informed skeptics don't want to face. :p

Read the book? Seen his equations?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Well, another mystery posibly solved as far as William Desmond Taylor's murder? I found a book written by a Hollywood reporteer in the eighties using notes and investigation done by King Vidore. Vidore seems to have solved it. I won't spoil it here though.

If anyone would like the book, I will send it to them. First posted response gets it. $2.00 shipping.

It is a great read detailing the history of Hollywood, taylor and other famous actors and actresses Mary Miles Minter, etc. And of course, the life and acreer of King Vidore. It involves false identies, rumored and real homosexuality, studio cover ups, family betrayals, long lost lovers reunited.

Very fun read.

Not yet solved, A Cast Of Killers, while an entertaining read, has quite a few problems : http://www.public.asu.edu/~bruce/Taylor65.txt

Scare up a copy of Robert Giroux's book on the W. D. T. murder, A Deed Of Death.

Taylorology is a great resource : http://www.angelfire.com/az/Taylorology/

nyx

One of the Regulars
I must be odd, but I would choose George Reeves' murder/suicide. I recently watched Hollywoodland and actually really enjoyed Ben Affleck's portrayal of Reeves. It made me feel real sympathy for poor Superman. I liked how it showed a number of possibilities for his death without choosing one as the "true" reason.

I think I'd pick it over the Black Dahlia because at least in the Black Dahlia case, it was definitely murder, but with Reeves we'll never know what happened.

For a more modern mystery, I've always been curious about Bob Crane's murder. I loved Hogan's Heroes as a child and always had a crush on Hogan.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Immaculately dressed in suspenders, a starched white shirt, tie and gray dress slacks, the 79-year-old launched into detailed stories of a troubled childhood and why people should believe he's the son of Col. Charles A. Lindbergh — aka "Lucky Lindy," the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic in the famed Spirit of St. Louis. :fing28:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_14383573?source=most_viewed

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This mystery is from outer space and dates from 1947. It's the Roswell UFO crash.

Were alien bodies found in the wreckage of a flying saucer? Was there a cover up? Hoax or true? [huh]

I would be interesting to know what really happened there.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch said:
OK during that time the Giza pyramids were the targets of continuing explorarion and conjecture on their construction-

With a lull after the 1890s UFO sightings increased exponentially in the 1940s-

I'd like to know the skinny on either mystery.

HadleyH said:
This mystery is from outer space and dates from 1947. It's the Roswell UFO crash.

Were alien bodies found in the wreckage of a flying saucer? Was there a cover up? Hoax or true? [huh]

I would be interesting to know what really happened there.

I saw on some show on the History Channel that the reason for all the UFO issues from 1947 & on is because we, as a species discovered the power of the atom (or, as the man on the show put it: "Oh jeeze, the kids got the matches!")

bruce wayne said:
I saw on some show on the History Channel that the reason for all the UFO issues from 1947 & on is because we, as a species discovered the power of the atom (or, as the man on the show put it: "Oh jeeze, the kids got the matches!")

In the summer of 1947 Roswell Army Air Base was home of the 509th Bomb Group, whose B-29s were the only bombers in the US Army Air Forces* tasked with the nuclear attack mission at the time. The Enola Gay which dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima belonged to the 509th BG.

*The USAAF didn't become the US Air Force until September of that year.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
JimWagner said:
What really happened to Glenn Miller? Was his plane accidentally shot down? That's the one I'd want to solve.

I once spoke with a veteran of the USAAF who swore that he spoke with those associated with the incident. They supposedly informed him that Miller was so drunk on that particular flight that he actually (somehow) fell out of the plane, and that the idea of it getting shot down was just a concoction made to protect Miller's (and the USAAF's) image to the public.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points