Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm seeking something really important...

havershaw

Practically Family
Beside hats, one of my other big obsessions is with the long-closed Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles. Once the hub of Hollywood nightlife in the Golden Age, it now sits like a forboding bag lady on Wilshire Blvd.

My point is, there was a men's shop in there (The London Shop), and I've seen the advertisements still in the storefront for Borsalino hats. I know that somewhere, there's a hat with a sweatband marked London Shop, Ambassador Hotel.

I will pay any price for one of these hats, any condition, any color, any brand, any size. Even if it's just the sweatband. I've seen a few women's hats marked with an Ambassador Hotel tag, but no men's...but I know they are out there. I thought Art might be of help here, as he probably sees more vintage hats than all the rest of us put together.

For the record, should any of you ever encounter any Ambassador Hotel anything, I will be happy to take it off your hands.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I don't have a hat....but a story.

In the late eighties I was working on a TV movie and one of our locations was the Ambassador. We did a scene in The Cocanut Grove. Unfortunately I wasn't into the period as much and have the appreciation for hotel as I would today.

At the time I was more intrested in the kitchen where Kennedy was shot. I spent some time with my video camera in there.

If I only knew.

havershaw

Practically Family
You're a lucky man...

I've spent some time in the hotel recently. It's really falling apart, which is a shame. As is it, the Cocoanut Grove was completely gutted and "renovated" in 1969 in an attempt to stay "current" and attract younger, hipper clientele as well as have more Vegas-style entertainment. I don't think it was too successful, as the Grove was closed and opened more times in the last two decades of the hotel's life than I can count. I blame Sammy Davis Jr., who was in charge of the whole "modernization." The hotel closed in 1989. Was it still open when you were there?

Anyway, despite the fact that the Grove looks nothing like what it once did and pretty much nothing original remains, it still has a certain something.

Monday I am having lunch with a woman who grew up at the hotel (her grandfather was one of the first managers), from 1921-1938. Her husband was also Ingrid Bergman's agent.

Um...to get back on topic...Art, have you ever seen a sweatband from that store?

By the way, MK, I'm very jealous of your Bullock's hat as well...that's just down the street from the Ambassador (and is mentioned in a Raymond Chandler story, unless I miss my guess).

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Um...to get back on topic...Art, have you ever seen a sweatband from that store?

Not that I can recall Havershaw, but now that you have notified me I'll keep a sharper eye out for you. I also look for anything "Oviatt" as they were right up there in quality & mystique.

Art

Danosaurus

New in Town
Is it possible to go inside the Ambassador? I live just a few minutes away in Hollywood, I've driven by a lot and always wanted to check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ