Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incongruencies of body art?

Naama

Practically Family
I have my nose and my lip pierced.... When I first came in contact with the vintage thing, I thought about taking them out, but somehow, I just can't do it, don't ask me why [huh]
But funny thing is, the way I dress and wear my hair seems to have a bigger impact on the people then my piercings, old ladys tread me nice, nobody would think I'm a troublemaker or anything..... So, I just stick with them, they where expensive, and I like them ^^
Only thing, so many people around me are pierced at the same places, and then I think it's not so cool... But, whatever.... lol

Naama

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Naama said:
I have my nose and my lip pierced.... When I first came in contact with the vintage thing, I thought about taking them out, but somehow, I just can't do it, don't ask me why [huh]
But funny thing is, the way I dress and wear my hair seems to have a bigger impact on the people then my piercings, old ladys tread me nice, nobody would think I'm a troublemaker or anything..... So, I just stick with them, they where expensive, and I like them ^^
Only thing, so many people around me are pierced at the same places, and then I think it's not so cool... But, whatever.... lol

Naama

Ah--perhaps it's because the piercing are part of you and to imagine you without them is well--just not you.

I have two tattoos. One of the word "create" that is a reminder to always keep my creative juices flowing. And the other one is a picture of acorns.

I also really like the idea of a fruit-crate style illustration of a plum. I've been wanting that tattoo for ages!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
I also really like the idea of a fruit-crate style illustration of a plum. I've been wanting that tattoo for ages!

do it!!! not only would that be adorable, but it's rad to get something you've wanted for a long time. my dance tattoo is the one that almost a decade ago i said, "if i ever wanted to get a tattoo, that's what i want it to be!"

Frl. Wunder

New in Town
I love my body mods too much to hide them. I have my nose pierced twice and three tattoos, two of them are rather large colorful flower tattoos. I think they fit in great with vintage wear, I only hide them and remove my piercings when I go to reenactments. It looks stupid with 18th c. clothing. ;)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Naama said:

You become very attached to them (bad choice of word, but Ive only just woken up), unfortunately I'm now minus a lip piercing because it was damaging my gums.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
...And sometimes you get tired of one that you have and get a new one, piercing that is. I had my tongue pierced close to 10 years. I removed it about a month ago because I got tired of it and trying to find a ring that I like. It seemed the only ones I could find were bigger knobs or the decorative ones would come unglued. (I had an alien ring that was one piece but it faded and I couldnt tell it was an alien any longer, then I had a happy face but the acrylic piece fell out).

So now I am looking at getting a Marilyn piercing. I just cant figure out if I should get it on the side where my natural beauty mark is or on the other.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pretty faythe said:
...And sometimes you get tired of one that you have and get a new one, piercing that is. I had my tongue pierced close to 10 years. I removed it about a month ago because I got tired of it and trying to find a ring that I like. It seemed the only ones I could find were bigger knobs or the decorative ones would come unglued. (I had an alien ring that was one piece but it faded and I couldnt tell it was an alien any longer, then I had a happy face but the acrylic piece fell out).

So now I am looking at getting a Marilyn piercing. I just cant figure out if I should get it on the side where my natural beauty mark is or on the other.

The Marilyn piercing makes me nervous! When you take it out, don't you have a scar on your face?

timorous me

Familiar Face
All, your tats are FABULOUS! and ShooShoo, I especially love your Ramona Quimby tattoo! How adorable! I'm thinking that my next ink will be from the book The Paper Bag Princess. I've always loved that book and the illustrations are just great.

For me, I think that tattoos and vintage work well together... because the reason that I can get away with wearing very old clothes is because I am a very modern lady! I don't think it detracts at all. But of course, I don't strive to look like I'm from a particular era... I just wear the clothes because I like the clothes!

(These are my two tattoos thus far... more to come!!!)

This is my first...
tats2.jpg

"You abide that birds must fly" is from a song called "Timorous Me" (see a pattern?) by Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - let's just say this song holds a lot of meaning for me. ;-)

And my second...
tats1.jpg

I'm the one in the red. The other is my best friend on the earth.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Timorous Me, those tattoos are just so beautiful and I love your sentiment about mix the modern look of a tattoo with your vintage side. What a great point!

Another tattoo that I'd love to get would be Man Ray's violin woman. I think it is a gorgeous example and nod to woman's curves.

2005288503455445241_rs.jpg

I've been feeling a tad blah about my body image recently and I feel a strong pull to do something that will empower me and this image does it for me in spades.

timorous me

Familiar Face
Miss Dottie said:
I've been feeling a tad blah about my body image recently and I feel a strong pull to do something that will empower me and this image does it for me in spades.

Somebody once told me that if there's a part of your body that you dislike, or keep covered up, pierce it or tattoo it and you'll be proud of it in no time! And I've found that it's absolutely true.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
timourous, i LOVE your tattoos! it's odd though... i've thought of getting a classic tattoo with certain morrissey lyrics, and in my head it looks almost exactly like your ted leo tattoo! i think i'm going to go with a different motif than birds though, since the lyrics/title i think i've settled on is "sing your life".

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Miss Dottie said:
Timorous Me, those tattoos are just so beautiful and I love your sentiment about mix the modern look of a tattoo with your vintage side. What a great point!

Another tattoo that I'd love to get would be Man Ray's violin woman. I think it is a gorgeous example and nod to woman's curves.

2005288503455445241_rs.jpg

I'm working on a design that encorporates the f-holes, with designs instead of solid colour. I really don't care that the design is so known and has been used by others; it's so beautiful that anyone considering it should get it!

And I fully agree with Timorous Me; no better way to make you feel better about something that making it look better in your own eyes :eusa_clap

That's what my design placements have been based on. I never used to show off my shoulders; I hated them for being broad while I was flat chested and it made me feel like a boy. Now people tell me I have lovely collar bones...I know it's odd but a compliment is a compliment :rolleyes:

timorous me

Familiar Face
ShooShooBaby said:
timourous, i LOVE your tattoos! it's odd though... i've thought of getting a classic tattoo with certain morrissey lyrics, and in my head it looks almost exactly like your ted leo tattoo! i think i'm going to go with a different motif than birds though, since the lyrics/title i think i've settled on is "sing your life".

Thank you!! (Oh, and by the way, I've been meaning to mention that I LOVE you post signature!) I'm especially proud of my birds, I had an idea in my head and my tattoo artist adapted it into something even more beautiful than I'd expected!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
timorous me said:
Oh, and by the way, I've been meaning to mention that I LOVE you post signature!

are you daria fan as well? the first time i saw that "retro" episode i thought i was going to die laughing!

I'm especially proud of my birds, I had an idea in my head and my tattoo artist adapted it into something even more beautiful than I'd expected!

that is what i'm going to have to do as well. i am so artistically untalented it's funny!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
The Marilyn piercing makes me nervous! When you take it out, don't you have a scar on your face?

I don't think it would be much larger than if one had their nose pierce and then removed it. My sis had her nose pierced and removed it, can hardly tell.

Then again, I have a few scars on face, so at least if it does leave a bit of a mark, at least its one I did on my own and not from my clutsiness or chicken pox.

My tats
breatbone - dolphin
been thinking of adding water drops and making her jump through a ring or some such
Photo0039.jpg

kitten on left ankle
Photo0038.jpg

Zodiac signs for my children and myself right arm
Photo0040.jpg

timorous me

Familiar Face
ShooShooBaby said:
are you daria fan as well? the first time i saw that "retro" episode i thought i was going to die laughing!

HUUUUUUGE Daria fan right here! So of course I got the reference and nearly fell out of my chair when I read it!

And as for the tat, I found an artist that I respect like crazy, told him "I want swallows, not to modern, but not too nautical. No red ink, because I'll scar. And 'You abide that birds must fly.' The rest is up to you." The pink instead of the traditional red, the fact that they're not identical like most swallows tattoos are... all of that was all John. He's a good man!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Clara Noir said:
I'm working on a design that encorporates the f-holes, with designs instead of solid colour. I really don't care that the design is so known and has been used by others; it's so beautiful that anyone considering it should get it!

And I fully agree with Timorous Me; no better way to make you feel better about something that making it look better in your own eyes :eusa_clap

That's what my design placements have been based on. I never used to show off my shoulders; I hated them for being broad while I was flat chested and it made me feel like a boy. Now people tell me I have lovely collar bones...I know it's odd but a compliment is a compliment :rolleyes:

I love the f-hole design and would love to see the final product. Yeah!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ShooShooBaby said:

I cried with laughter seeing it! I couldnt stop laughting when Jane said to Daria in such a straight face tone; "Im wearing a Snood!" lol

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:

i also really liked the conversation about mixing eras:

boyfriend: i just don't think you're ready to mix eras yet!

jane: you're the one wearing a 40s zoot suit to a 60s tiki bar!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21