Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Acererak

One of the Regulars
What happened to Shia Lebeouf ? he's Indy's son ain't he ? surely he could step into his old man's Alden 405's & carry on the family business of artefact theft, reporting back to dad/Ford comfortably installed in the sunny acres retirement home from time to time.:rolleyes:

Shia Laboof did for the Raiders franchise what midichlorians did for Star Wars. (Hint: it’s very similar to what Shatner did to “Rocket Man”).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shia Laboof did for the Raiders franchise what midichlorians did for Star Wars. (Hint: it’s very similar to what Shatner did to “Rocket Man”).
They said right from the start that Shia LaGoof would not be invited back for Indy V. My guess is that they'll include a line of dialogue explaining he's off somewhere building motorcycles or some such, and that'll be the end of that.

Edward

Bartender

That's a bit harsh - he hardly plumbed the Jar Jar Binks depths.

I'd say more the Wesley Crusher of the Indy world. ;)

They said right from the start that Shia LaGoof would not be invited back for Indy V. My guess is that they'll include a line of dialogue explaining he's off somewhere building motorcycles or some such, and that'll be the end of that.

I expect so. TBH, I don't think the character was as bad as it is now fashionable to make out, but if LaBouef is as difficult to work with now as his reputation suggests, they'll need to explain him away somehow. If it gets set in 1960 or later, maybe he'll have been drafted to Vietnam. Of course, f the crux of the action takes place prior to 1957, he needn't be mentioned at all.

I think a grown-up Shortround could be an interesting character. Give Indy a link into China. A story set in 1941, prior to the (official) US entry into the war. Shortround is now 19. Get Indy into China, hook him up with the AVG somehow.... I'm sure there's something more than just the Terracotta Army (already done in the Mummy franchise) that could provide a great story from Chinese mythology.

Acererak

One of the Regulars
That's a bit harsh - he hardly plumbed the Jar Jar Binks depths.

I'd say more the Wesley Crusher of the Indy world. ;)

I must confess my problem with the (Slick?) character has more to do with Shia LaDouche than the character itself. I don't always hate his roles, but he's hardly the rough and tumble type. To your next point, I've always been baffled by why the franchise abandoned Short Round. He was a great character, and it was an interesting relationship. Why not develop him as Indy's protege and heir-apparent? (Although, I do seem to be in the minority in my appreciation for Temple of Doom.)

Edward

Bartender
To your next point, I've always been baffled by why the franchise abandoned Short Round. He was a great character, and it was an interesting relationship. Why not develop him as Indy's protege and heir-apparent? (Although, I do seem to be in the minority in my appreciation for Temple of Doom.

You want to try being the "only" fan of Crystal Skull. Made me feel how people who didn't understand how bad the Star Wars prequels were must have. ;)

I have a lot of affection for Temple still. I do now think it's not as good as either Raiders or Crusade, but it was the first Indy I saw, and it is a lot of fun. I think it sits well within the cannon - and great as the Nazis are as bad guys, it's nice to have something different too. I would like to see what happened Short Round. In the years between enjoying it as a kid and revisiting it as an adult, I'd come to think of it as 'oh, they stuck a damn kid in to make it appeal to children more', but actually revisiting it it's much more than that. The character is very much a kid who has had to grow up fast, and an interesting amalgam of his own Chinese nature and Jones' Americanism - not to mention the interesting way in which Indy treats him more like an adult in some ways than a child, creating this odd child-man hybrid. While I suspect coincidental rather than thought out, it's interesting how well this sits with the idea of a man with Indy's less than conventional relationship with his own father, as we see in Crusade. (I also enjoyed how Skull took this father-son relationship and upended it to put Indy on the other side in a more conventional way, as an older and somewhat more responsible (or perhaps just wistfully regretful) man than he had been in 1934....).

...TBH, I don't think the character was as bad as it is now fashionable to make out, but if LaBouef is as difficult to work with now as his reputation suggests, they'll need to explain him away somehow. If it gets set in 1960 or later, maybe he'll have been drafted to Vietnam...
I'm pretty sure Mutt would be a draft dodger. :p

...I think a grown-up Shortround could be an interesting character. Give Indy a link into China. A story set in 1941, prior to the (official) US entry into the war. Shortround is now 19. Get Indy into China, hook him up with the AVG somehow...
I'm not convinced it would need to be set in the past, but re-introducing Short Round could be interesting if it was handled properly. Ke "Jonathan" Huy-Quan, who is currently 46 years old, could play an older Short Round who for one reason or another wound up being on the "wrong" side of things in the intervening years, and is conflicted between his loyalty to whoever he's working for and his past when Indy shows up. On the other hand, he hasn't had much of an acting career post Temple of Doom and hasn't been involved in making movies since 2002 according to IMDb, so he might not be willing to reprise that role.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not convinced it would need to be set in the past, but re-introducing Short Round could be interesting if it was handled properly. Ke "Jonathan" Huy-Quan, who is currently 46 years old, could play an older Short Round who for one reason or another wound up being on the "wrong" side of things in the intervening years, and is conflicted between his loyalty to whoever he's working for and his past when Indy shows up. On the other hand, he hasn't had much of an acting career post Temple of Doom and hasn't been involved in making movies since 2002 according to IMDb, so he might not be willing to reprise that role.

That might work from a US perspective. I suspect that for practical reasons they'd skirt any value judgements on the Maoists, though - bearing in mind that the PRC don't take kindly to such things, and China is a major market for Hollywood (this is why the Red Dawn remake, initially slated to have Red China as the villain, switched instead to a North Korean antagonist). Shorty could well have worked his way up in the Party or be big in the People's Army or some such, and have his old mentor pulled in to assist them.

It would be nice if they could ring ck the original actor, but equally I think they could still revive the character with another actor. Be interesting to see what he was wearing now (assuming he stayed in China, of course), given the shift away from Western influence in the post-revolutionary period.

That might work from a US perspective. I suspect that for practical reasons they'd skirt any value judgements on the Maoists, though - bearing in mind that the PRC don't take kindly to such things, and China is a major market for Hollywood (this is why the Red Dawn remake, initially slated to have Red China as the villain, switched instead to a North Korean antagonist). Shorty could well have worked his way up in the Party or be big in the People's Army or some such, and have his old mentor pulled in to assist them.

It would be nice if they could ring ck the original actor, but equally I think they could still revive the character with another actor. Be interesting to see what he was wearing now (assuming he stayed in China, of course), given the shift away from Western influence in the post-revolutionary period.
See, this is why I probably couldn't work in Hollywood--I was trying to think of an interesting story, and the international marketing possibilities and pitfalls hadn't entered into it. In that regard, I think your story idea would work better--Short Round is working somewhere in the Chinese government, they need someone to recover a historical artifact, Short Round naturally recommends Indy, and the action ensues. Handled properly, it could put both the Chinese and American governments in a good light and possibly show they weren't so different during the Cold War after all. Of course, if Mr. Lucas was still involved Indy's success in this venture would pave the way for then-President Nixon's visit to China in 1972. Hey, I think we've just handed them the bones for a good story that would make almost everyone happy! Scriptwriters, get to work! :p

Brettafett

One Too Many
One final Indy film with Mr Ford as an age appropriate Indy. Then do something else original.... Like what Spielberg's doing next... 'Blackhawk'... There will be planes... There will be jackets! And that should be just post WW2 era.

Indy will have a walker and oxygen bag as opposed to a whip and a pistol :p
One final Indy film with Mr Ford as an age appropriate Indy. Then do something else original.... Like what Spielberg's doing next... 'Blackhawk'... There will be planes... There will be jackets! And that should be just post WW2 era.

RBH

Bartender
Old Indy has already been done.
latest

Uh oh. Looks like they have dumped the writer and pushed back the release date (again).

https://www.slashfilm.com/indiana-jones-5-writer/
I haven't seen any of the television or movie projects Jon Kasden has written for, but on another forum I frequent that's populated by movie fanatics there's a great deal of concern about this announcement. It seems Disney/Lucasfilm are attempting a "passing of the torch" behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera, and a lot of fans are dissatisfied with their choices.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful. This will set the film, at least the parts with Ford playing Indy, in the early 1980s.
Where Indy meets a young up and coming duo by the name of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, inspiring them both to create one of the most influential adventure movies of the modern era.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Where Indy meets a young up and coming duo by the name of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, inspiring them both to create one of the most influential adventure movies of the modern era.

That's sick... and very funny. Postmodern intertextuality in a rancid nutshell.

What I can imagine is Indy meeting Walt Disney in the 1950's and providing creative input on his rides. Full circle. Or should that be magic circle. Whatever....

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab

Or it might inspire them to appear in the movies themselves. A la, Spielberg in The Blues Brothers. Nobody needs that, but does Disney care at this point? But, then, would they even be recognized? :rolleyes:

It's plain ridiculous, if it absolutely HAS to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points