Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ack! "A time jump"!? :confused:

Quote: "It is speculated that Harrison Ford might reprise his role and that the story might take place after a time jump."​

http://www.movienewsguide.com/india...t-part-franchise-harrison-ford-reprise/159810

I am wildly guessing (based on nothing) that a "time jump" might take today's Harrison Ford back to his Indiana Jones glory days of the 1930s. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope someone squashes that idea (if, indeed, that is what they are "speculating" about.)

Edward

Bartender
Frankly I'm getting very tired of the whole movie "franchise" business.

Me too. As Henry Jones Snr once said, "I'd like to kill that damn Jamesh Bhond." That's the one they all have in mind, really, in terms of reboots and long term brand marketing.... I just wish they would let some new ideas out. It feels like a huge proportion of what has been on in the last few years has been a sequel or a remake.

Oh lord, WHY?!

For one he has a track record of successfully portraying an iconic character who has only ever been associated with a single actor....

I'd prefer Karl Urban, myself.... but I want him to stay available for a Netflix-backed TV series based on the Dredd film of 2012. ;)

I'm now hearing Bradley Cooper's name bandied about, and that's probably the best option I can think of in terms of a stand-in for a young Harrison Ford. With him, I think he could credibly play Indy within the established continuity, rather than as a wholly reimagined franchise.

Ack! "A time jump"!? :confused:

Quote: "It is speculated that Harrison Ford might reprise his role and that the story might take place after a time jump."​

http://www.movienewsguide.com/india...t-part-franchise-harrison-ford-reprise/159810

I am wildly guessing (based on nothing) that a "time jump" might take today's Harrison Ford back to his Indiana Jones glory days of the 1930s. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope someone squashes that idea (if, indeed, that is what they are "speculating" about.)

Sounds like somebody hired George Lucas as a creative consultant..... Dreadful idea. And it's so dreadful because it's so obviously dreadful...

I can see Ford being brought in as another character, in a cameo, to smoothe the transition (in the same way that Shatner was written into Star Trek: Generations to link the successful original films to the Next Generation crew). Maybe a fusty academic that doesn't like Ford or something....

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
he has a track record of successfully portraying an iconic character who has only ever been associated with a single actor....

A track record? He has played exactly one character as a younger version thereof. He played that specific character passably.

How does it follow he could do another?

He has neither the look nor the gravitas to portray Dr. Jones. Chris Pratt among all the others mentioned is best to pull it off, Bradley Cooper perhaps as well.

There is of course another option - the actor as yet not known...

Edward

Bartender
A track record? He has played exactly one character as a younger version thereof. He played that specific character passably.

How does it follow he could do another?

He has neither the look nor the gravitas to portray Dr. Jones. Chris Pratt among all the others mentioned is best to pull it off, Bradley Cooper perhaps as well.

There is of course another option - the actor as yet not known...

Once is one more than a lot of folks being mentioned. Bradley Cooper of course did it in The A Team. I wasn't impressed with Pratt particularly in Jurassic World. I'm inclined to agree that an unknown would be best, but Disney may not consider that the best guarantee of a return on their investment (which is, after all, what this is about).

Edward

Bartender
People will go to see the movie.

No one goes to see "the star" anymore.

I'm not so sure Hollywood thinks like that. Brand is the key - brand and familiarity. That can be a franchise or a big name. I'd hope they'll pick an unknown who can doa credible Ford impression, but who knows?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I can see it now, Indy (Ford) jumps ( or prehaps hobbles) into the doctor's TARDIS & is transported to present day Syria in order to find Pandora's box, hidden somewhere under the rubble that was Palmyra, before the ISIS johnnies get their hands on it & unleash evil into the world.............again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I can see it now, Indy (Ford) jumps ( or prehaps hobbles) into the doctor's TARDIS & is transported to present day Syria in order to find Pandora's box, hidden somewhere under the rubble that was Palmyra, before the ISIS johnnies get their hands on it & leash evil into the world.............again. :rolleyes:

Yuo forgot the bit where he pulls Larss Croft, despite being old enough to be her grandfather. Yay Hollywood!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'm not so sure Hollywood thinks like that. Brand is the key - brand and familiarity. That can be a franchise or a big name. I'd hope they'll pick an unknown who can doa credible Ford impression, but who knows?

I think we are in fact on the same page.

People will not line up to see Chris Pine.

They will line up to see Indiana Jones (the "brand"), if the right actor is in the role.

And Chris Pine does not in my view have what it takes to live up to that brand.

Think James Bond. They bring in money, sure, but with the wrong actor can take a brand down a peg or two. With the right actor (here's looking at you, Mr. Craig) they can raise it from mediocrity.

If IJ goes ahead in some form, I'll guaranty it won't be with Chris "name something I've been in without the words star or trek in it" Pine!

Edward

Bartender
Mn. Shatner and Ford are very different beasts cut from very different cloths, and it would indeed take different folks to take them off!

I certainly hope that, unlike Bond, it doesn't take them twenty years, five odd attempts and a whole slew of risible films to find a credible Ford replacement! ;)

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
I don't want to see Indiana Jones in a post-1957 world. Beyond that, it gets too far into an era where the cinematic traditions Indy pastiched don't carry, and I don't want to see them give him gadgets or make him a Bond, or a sidekick.

The Indy stories I'd still like to see would be those in the era still left untouched by screen Indy: the years 1938-56, including his years working with the US military against the Nazis, what happened at the Roswell incident, and what he was doing in the early 50s.

I'm not sure whether I don't want to see another actor playing Indy, or whether it's Disneyfied Indy I don't want to see...

I'd give it a go, I think ,if they got a really good Harrison Ford impersonator (a la Karl Urban's imitation of Deforrest Kelly), but otherwise, no, let it rest.... Of course, Disney didn't buy the property to not make money out of it, so new films are inevitable. I just hope they can cut straight to Craig, without having to go through Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan first. Inevitably, Indy will be just that little bit less cool if they can't manage that levle of quality and make-believe that it's Ford. I could have accepted somebody else in any of his roles, but Indy is just too indivisibly him to be anyone else. I don't believe for a minute it would have been half as good with Tom Sellick.
Came to this thread a little late, but I must say, Hear, hear!

Benny Holiday

There are a whole heap of novels out there about Indy's adventures India Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx etc, so there could be new and different ideas to mine for filmed stories. I'm a little torn. It's hard to conceive of the iconic character being played by anyone but Harrison Ford, but the movies are such fun that the prospect of more adventures on the big screen, set in the 30s or 40s, is tempting - given that you could find someone (yes maybe Chris Pratt . . . ) who can do a great Harrison Ford impersonation.

Tiki Tom

Hmmm. Harry will be 77 in 2019. And in great shape, no doubt. But I'm wondering how the plot will work. If we consider that the character Indiana Jones was born in 1899, then when he reached his 70s, he would have been living in the 1970s. "Indiana Jones and the Watergate Break-in"? "Indiana Jones and the Disco Ball of Doom"? "Indiana Jones and the Introduction of the Pocket Calculator"? "Indiana Jones and the Last Plane out of Saigon"? (That last one might work.) In other words, the Golden Era aesthetic would be completely shot. How can they realistically keep the 1930s-1940s-1950s iconography alive AND have Harrison Ford playing Indy? Yes, yes, time travel has been hinted at. I hope they are very careful with the elements that we fans cherish.

Edward

Bartender
"Steven Spielberg will direct Harrison Ford in the untitled fifth installment in the action-adventure franchise, which will open July 19, 2019, Disney announced Tuesday." -- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-announces-fifth-indiana-jones-875794

This does not sound promising. I don't trust the mouse with Indy.

Still, at least now George Lucas can't ruin the originals and then petulantly refuse to restore them to their original form when we all hate what he tries to do next....

Hmmm. Harry will be 77 in 2019. And in great shape, no doubt. But I'm wondering how the plot will work. If we consider that the character Indiana Jones was born in 1899, then when he reached his 70s, he would have been living in the 1970s. "Indiana Jones and the Watergate Break-in"? "Indiana Jones and the Disco Ball of Doom"? "Indiana Jones and the Introduction of the Pocket Calculator"? "Indiana Jones and the Last Plane out of Saigon"? (That last one might work.) In other words, the Golden Era aesthetic would be completely shot. How can they realistically keep the 1930s-1940s-1950s iconography alive AND have Harrison Ford playing Indy? Yes, yes, time travel has been hinted at. I hope they are very careful with the elements that we fans cherish.

Yeah. Despite the supernatural and alien elements of preceding films, I just don't think time travel can fly in Indyworld. Equally, it can't work in a post 1957 world. Let our last glimpse of Indy's timeline forever be him stepping off into marriage with Marion, grabbing back his own hat to show he's not quite done yet...

Where they could credibly involve Ford as he in now, of course, would be to use him as a framing device. I.e. a very elderly Indy being honoured with some bauble or other for his services to archaeology, tell some of his old stories, or a new tale that he's never told before, maybe, dissolving into someone else playing a younger Indy, back in the day. Hell, maybe Ford could even be on his deathbed in 1999 (I figure he can have a long old age - he did, after all, drink from the Holy Grail, that's bound to have some benefits, even if he did leave the cavern....). We were talking about this ta the weekend, and Herself suggested a prequel to Raiders, telling the story of Indy and Abner Ravenwood in the 20s. I'm not entirely sure whether I like this idea or not: I sort of feel we got all the backstory we need in Raiders, but it could work - I'd give it a go.

Of course, if a framing device at start and end isn't enough of a role for Ford, they could always put together a portmanteau piece, with Old Indy threading various stories together.

If they do have Ford in it, I hope they do give him a sensible role rather than some clumsy cameo a la the ETs in Phantom Menace.

Shamelessly stolen from another discussion group:

Indiana Jones and What's With Kids These Days?

"HE BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!"

Indiana Jones and the Reverse Home Mortgage

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Indiana Jones and the Early Bird Special

Indiana Jones and What the Hell Did I Come In Here For?

Indiana Jones and... the....where am I?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112