Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
Assuming you're referring to recasting the role with a young actor, I'm sure that will happen at some point now that The Mouse owns the franchise.

Oh yes, it's inevitable. The Mouse eon't buy anything it can't wring likea sponge for more money. There is a theme-park ride to push, after all!

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The latest is that Spielberg promises that Indy will not die at the end of Indy5.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...5-spielberg-confirms-indy-won-t-be-killed-off

Also, rumor has it that they have found their McGuffin, although no word yet on what it might be:

http://moviehole.net/2016106170indiana-jones-5-progress-williams-commits-mcguffin-found

And, yes, they are wheeling in Composer John Williams to do the music again.

The fact that they are not going to kill off the character limits our guessing game a bit. Time will tell.

The latest is that Spielberg promises that Indy will not die at the end of Indy5.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...5-spielberg-confirms-indy-won-t-be-killed-off

Also, rumor has it that they have found their McGuffin, although no word yet on what it might be:

http://moviehole.net/2016106170indiana-jones-5-progress-williams-commits-mcguffin-found

And, yes, they are wheeling in Composer John Williams to do the music again.

The fact that they are not going to kill off the character limits our guessing game a bit. Time will tell.

Perhaps he'll be sealed in carbonite instead...

MikeKardec

One Too Many
It's odd how involved in these things we fans seem to get these days ... I feel the same way but I'm not sure it's healthy. The franchise is not public property and the potential customers will vote with their feet, or their butts, or something. We are not involved except a audience members and our emotional lives should remain separated from the end result. If we invest less attention and imagination early on we might be more pleasantly surprised later; it's very hard to out perform people's unmoored-from-the-realities-of-filmmaking expectations. The Bond reboot has worked well but that was after a decade or more of accepted yet low grade material. The perfect set up for an impressive comeback.

In the case of both Star Wars and Indy we really just have the one first movie in each series that was truly great and then some occasional bits in sequels. The rest is not so good, personally I think that makes a good excuse to try to improve things. I realize that movie sequels don't have the track record for even keeping the good bit count up to a reasonable rate but it's something that is done fairly well in TV series, so one can hope.

Even with an audience that has never directly experienced the Pulp Adventure genre I would hope that a writer can be found who can separate the Pulp sensibilities from those of Comic Books. Someone on Raiders understood that distinction but even it suffered from a touch of that confusion. The other films seem to loose touch with the Pulp Adventure theme much more often ... I'm thinking about the writing not the look or the performances.

There are plenty of good actors but, you know, if you put Harrison Ford's current brain in a clone of his 35 year old body it wouldn't be the same, he not the same actor he was 30 years ago. The trick, in my singular opinion, is to never try to redo the original because you can't, the best thing you can hope for is to create an entertaining reinterpretation and hope for the best. The franchise needs to move on and, hopefully, they will pick a good direction.

filfoster

One Too Many
I"ll pile on and say I prefer the OP's idea of an academic 'CEO' role for Harrison Ford. It's called a 'high concept' in Hollywood, isn't it?
Too bad you may not have an agent to do lunch and pitch this and snag some serious jack for your brainstorm.

As a side note, I always hate to see the successful original lead put out to pasture because of age, no matter how necessary that might be. I can't think of any franchise that was better in the hands of a successor (I don't count Jeremy Brett as a successor to Basil Rathbone because of the different media, movies vs TV. It was also sad that Adam West felt aggrieved that he wasn't considered for the movie Batman, even though that was way out of his depth).

Last edited:

MikeKardec

One Too Many
It's really just a better idea to move on to new material but that is just not the modern Hollywood works. I'm an avid "adapter" however, I always believe that you can make something better, that the foundation of a great work can be built upon and improved ... expectations can get the best of any sequel though.

Tiki Tom

It sounds like (maybe?) Disney has a small team mapping out an "expanded franchise universe" concept, in which there could be multiple inter-linking films all tying back to the original five (or six?) films. This from the article linked below...

While attending the Lucasfilm: Art of Storytelling panel, our own Sean O'Connell was on hand to learn that Disney is devoting as much time to planning more Indiana Jones movies as they are Star Wars. ILM President Lynwen Brennan dropped this interesting detail while speaking about the long-term plans Lucasfilm has for its franchises.​

"Kiri [Hart] and her group have mapped out a story and timeline across multiple platforms many years in advance, many EXHAUSTING years in advance. ... We have a great honor to have responsibility for, so we want to be really careful with that. Not only for Star Wars but with Indiana Jones, which we're all really excited about as well."​

It sounds like lots of Indiana Jones movies are in the works, but this raises quite a few questions. Star Wars lends itself easily to the concept of a shared universe, but Indiana Jones is about one character. How do you spread out multiple connected films about just one guy? It's unlikely that Disney will be taking the Marvel Studios approach, so we could be seeing an all new type of an expanded franchise universe. [Then the article goes on to outline a few directions that the films might take.]

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1535239/disney-has-huge-plans-for-indiana-jones-get-the-details

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Just for the record: Indy has been done to death in the form of Young Indiana Jones. I never particularly liked that show but there's actually more in the Indy library than there is in Star Wars.

Just for the record: Indy has been done to death in the form of Young Indiana Jones. I never particularly liked that show but there's actually more in the Indy library than there is in Star Wars.
True, but Disney has already declared almost all of the Star Wars novels, comic books, cartoons, and so on (i.e., the "Expanded Universe") that were released before they bought the franchise as non-canon. They could easily do the same with The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and any other Indiana Jones related materials except for the four theatrical movies, and start from scratch.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
True, but Disney has already declared almost all of the Star Wars novels, comic books, cartoons, and so on (i.e., the "Expanded Universe") that were released before they bought the franchise as non-canon. They could easily do the same with The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and any other Indiana Jones related materials except for the four theatrical movies, and start from scratch.

You are totally right, among many other book sales related things I have a website that exclusively sells the Star Wars books ... sorting the new version of canon and making it clear to customers was a giant pain. When I mentioned YIJ I just meant that there were a number of ways of dealing with a Indiana Jones series and one of them had been mined extensively (actually two because there's IJ books also).

If I had to come up with the Series Bible on future Indy movies I'm sure I could produce a couple of alternatives and thus the experts at Disney should have no trouble ... the only problem is dealing with this sort of thing in a corporate structure. When Lucas did it, he just did it, he had no one to report to. These days someone or a team will be asked to come up with the concept but their bosses will probably not want to take any responsibility because it might not work (and then they'd be blamed for killing something successful), so the possibility of really passive aggressive oversight stands the chance of turning it into garbage. It's likely they will hire someone, like they did with JJ Abrams, who is a big enough name so that if they get it wrong the Disney executives can simply point at him and say, "we hired the best guy, you can't blame us!"

A lot of times when you see the "executive producer" credit on a film, that's what it's there for. Hire a big name to oversee, pay him a lot of money, possibly don't actually give him any real power ... but you can avoid blame if it all goes wrong by saying, "who could blame me we had X as executive producer?" Everyone does it and oddly, in the kabuki theater of Hollywood decision making, it still seems to work.

Tiki Tom

Indy alert! For anyone who may need a quick Indiana Jones fix.

“In 2011, Lucasfilm and ACME Archives commissioned artist Patrick Schoenmaker to create a print of Indiana Jones as an animated hero during the release of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." He was so passionate about the idea of an animated Indy he went on to make an animated feature that's debuting online this month (September 29th), five years later.”

https://www.cnet.com/news/artist-on-a-quest-to-make-an-animated-indiana-jones-fan-film/

indianajones1.jpg

DesertDan

One Too Many
Agreed.
I didn't mind KOTCS too much as I saw it as a "passing the torch" film, even if they never made another movie and just left it implied. But I really didn't think they would try to make another film with Harrison "in the hat" so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider