• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Indiana Jones V

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom A-List Customer

We will just have to see. If Disney is truly thinking about turning Indiana Jones into an "expanded franchise universe", it might be interesting and good. I'm imagining a whole new 1930s universe in which we are introduced to a gang of romantic rough-hewn characters, some of whom we've already met (the tramp steamer captain, Indy's seaplane flying pal, the hard drinking beautiful saloon keeper, etc.) all fighting in a loosely coordinated effort dedicated to undermining the Nazis. Of course, there would have to be something tying them together and presumably that would be their relationship to Dr. Jones. But he wouldn't necessarily have to make a cameo appearance in each film. As long as Disney stays true to the 1930s mythology/style/conventions and some of the Indiana Jones iconography, I'd be on board for the ride.
    So I'm not yet writing off the whole enterprise. Although ---as of today--- I've seen nothing additional to confirm that Disney is really working on an "expanded franchise universe" concept.

2. And at some point they all run into the Howling Commandos and fight Nazis together? :D

3. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

I understood that reference.

AmateisGal and Frunobulax like this.
  4. PeterGunnLives

PeterGunnLives One of the Regulars

They should have cast the guy who played the younger version of Harrison Ford's character in "Age of Adeline." He definitely had the look and the mannerisms. And the same guy should also play young Han Solo, and young Jack Ryan... in fact, he should build his whole career on playing younger versions of characters previously played by Harrison Ford. ;)

5. Disne doesn't do anything in which they don't smell moolah. I'd say that f the guy they hire to play the Young Han Solo in the forthcoming origins flick is received well as a Ford-substitute, we're very likely to see him trotted out as New Indy. If they have decent stories and he's at least as good a sub as was Karl Urban for Deforrest Kelley, bring it on.... but I'm inclined to be cynical about the Mouse, evne if it did save Star Wars from George Lucas.

Bushman likes this.
  6. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom A-List Customer

7. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

8. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom A-List Customer

Mean while in the so-called "real world" (home of "fake news").... "One of the few remaining unstudied major biblical sites, where according to the Bible the Ark of the Covenant was kept for two decades, will be excavated by archaeologists this summer for the first time."

http://www.timesofisrael.com/archae...-stood/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I hope Harrison Ford at least visits the dig site. Photo op. Talk about free publicity.

Frunobulax likes this.
  9. I’m sorry to see Harrison Ford returning. Not because he isn’t wonderful in the role but because it locks the story into a 1970’s timeframe (Ford was born in ’42, Indy in 1899—following that chronology it’s currently 1974 in the Indy universe, though I don’t think they were that rigid with the 1957 date of Crystal Skull).

The prequel stories set in the 1920’s and ‘30s—starting with Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi—were great stories and would make for good films. They just need to find the right actor in his 20s to play the role.

I would not be opposed to stand-alone or prequel films set in the same universe. You could even have Ford in them as a framing device, made up to look younger.

10. My vote is "no - just no. Please - no."

MisterCairo likes this.
  11. I'm in two minds about this. I'd love to see Indy revivied and done well, but imo it will have to be somebody who can do a convincing Ford impression - I just can't see separating out that actor and that character any other way. I do sort of agree with the view that it's better just to leave it alone, but given how much the Mouse paid to buy Lucasfilm, they were never going to do that. Ford as a framing device for a younger actor convincingly playing him younger would be the best option, I think. I can't see them continuing on the story after Crystal Skull - I agree that it's far too 'late' in time for Indy then; also, the ending, taking his hat back from Mutt - 'I'm not dead yet, Junior' was, imo, as good a place to leave it as any - almost better than him riding off on the horse in 1938. Let Ford establish hi replacement via framing in this film, then, if it works, the replacement can take over from there.

In temrs of the timeline.... I recall reading that Lucas made it a condition of the sale to Disney that none of their Star Wars films crosses over with any of his in the parts of that Universe's timeline in which they fall. I wonder is there something similar in place for Indy? That would leave a lot of scope still, of course, as they only covered 1935-38, and 1957 (not counting the TV show). I would like that - I think the best eay to do it would be to build on with the established character rather than "reimagine" it. If they could do a prequel to Raiders that set it up as well as they did with Rogue One.... then of course there are Indy's War Years (though that would be better again, I think, as a Netflix type series).