Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

Edward

Bartender
I'm hoping that this film leads somebody somewhere to produce copies of the hat Mutt is wearing on the bike.... I've been looking for an affordable repro of the Brando Wild One hat forever, with no luck.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
online leaks

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/movies/10indy.html

A hand full of online reviews have been less than stellar:

“This is the Indiana Movie that you were dreading.”

10indy.2.650.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
The Times has nothing but to quote ShogunMaster @ AICN?
Still, there it was, at 6:42 a.m. on Thursday: a harshly critical review on aintitcoolnews.com, from a poster who identified himself as “ShogunMaster.” Rife with details from the film, the review said, “This is the Indiana Movie that you were dreading.”
Come on fellas, see the movie then review it. lol

The trailer looks fun. I will try to see it at the theater.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
shogunmaster

Feraud said:
The Times has nothing but to quote ShogunMaster @ AICN?
Come on fellas, see the movie then review it. lol

The trailer looks fun. I will try to see it at the theater.

To be fair, Shogunmaster is not some know it all kid eager to bash any movie for attention:
he is a theater executive who saw the film at an exhibitors’ screening this week. He spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid reprisal from the studio.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There are some very positive reviews up at Ain't It Cool News too - I'm guessing that a lot of how you react to the film is based on what you bring into it: how invested you are in the earlier Indy films, how cynical or hypercritical you are, etc.

I'm very much looking forward to it, and I expect it to be good fun with a few surprises - but not the be-all and end-all of adventure flicks. That would just be setting myself up for disappointment. And I don't expect it to be as astoundingly good as Raiders; I'll settle for a solid Indy picture in the mode of Last Crusade.

One thing I was happy to read was that the screenwriter consulted with original Raiders scribe Lawrence Kasdan for advice on how to handle Marion Ravenwood. Smart move.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yep, you guessed it, an EVO. You think they could have used a Knucklehead S & S reproduction. It has the benefits of an EVO with look of a Knucklehead. On top of it the frame looks like a Soft Tail.

Cheers!

Dan

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Yep, you guessed it, an EVO. You think they could have used a Knucklehead S & S reproduction. It has the benefits of an EVO with look of a Knucklehead. On top of it the frame looks like a Soft Tail.

Cheers!

Dan

I love those S&S Knucks, but boy are they pricey. Probably they did it more for reliability than for cost, although I'll bet those S&S motors are just as nice as a modern Harley mill. I am not fond of the softtail frame if that's what they did (you must have sharper eyes than me) but I can forgive it more readily than the dirt bikes dressed as BMWs in Last Crusade!

-Dave

Story

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones: Lost Ark of the Covenant 'traced to Ethiopia'

German archaeologists have claimed to have found one of the fabled resting places of the Ark of the Covenant, the chest holding the Ten Commandments which gave the ancient Israelites their power.

The University of Hamburg say its researchers have found the remains of the 10th century BC palace of the Queen of Sheba in Axum, Ethiopia, and an altar which at one time reputedly held the precious treasure.

Archaeologist Helmut Ziegert, who is leading the dig said: “From the dating, its position and the details that we have found, I am sure that this is the palace.”

Ethiopian legends holds that the Ark was taken to the palace of the Queen of Sheba by King Solomon, the king of the Jews, after they fell in love.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/ethiopia/1951679/Lost-ark-'discovered-in-Ethiopia'.html

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
harrison ford elected to board of directors of ARCHAEOLOGICAL INSTITUTE OF AMERICA

Harrison Ford Elected to the Board of the Archaeological Institute of America

2008-05-16 15:04:57 -

- For the AIA Laura Goldberg

After years of being identified on screen as the legendary
archaeologist "Indiana Jones," actor Harrison Ford has won election to
the Board of Directors of the Archaeological Institute of America.
With his Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull set to hit
U.S. movie theaters on May 22, the film star commented on his real
world dedication to archaeology, "Knowledge is power, and
understanding the past can only help us in dealing with the present
and the future."

The Archaeological Institute of America is North America's oldest and
largest non-profit organization devoted to archaeology. With more
nearly a quarter of a million members and subscribers and 105 local
chapters, it promotes archaeological excavation, research, education,
and preservation on a global basis. At the core of its mission is the
belief that an understanding of the past enhances our shared sense of
humanity and enriches our existence. As archaeological finds are a
non-renewable resource, the AIA's work benefits not only the current
generation, but also those yet to come in the future.

"Harrison Ford has played a significant role in stimulating the
public's interest in archaeological exploration," said Brian Rose,
President of the AIA. "We are all delighted that he has agreed to join
the AIA's Governing Board."

In addition, the current May/June issue of ARCHAEOLOGY magazine,
published by the AIA, features a cover story devoted to the mysteries
surrounding the alleged crystal skull archaeological finds that
inspired the new "Indiana Jones" film. For the complete article, go
to: www.archaeology.org/0805/etc/indy.html.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Indy Spirit Awards Volume 61 Number 3, May/June 2008
by Eti Bonn-Muller and Eric A. Powell

Ever since the 1981 debut of Raiders of the Lost Ark, there has been rampant speculation about who inspired the character of the risk-taking, snake-averse, "obtainer of rare antiquities." While George Lucas probably didn't have a particular ruggedly handsome professor of archaeology in mind, that hasn't stopped fans from claiming that one real swashbuckling academic is the true Indiana Jones. Below is our shortlist of scholar-adventurers, both past and present, who may never have cracked a whip but still embody the spirit of Dr. Jones.

http://www.archaeology.org/0805/trenches/indy.html

The original Indiana Jones: Otto Rahn and the temple of doom

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 22/05/2008
Page 1 of 2

As Indiana Jones returns to our screens, John Preston looks at the Nazi archaeologist who inspired Spielberg's hero, and finds a story more bizarre than anything the director could have dreamt of

Very little is certain in the short life of Otto Rahn. But one of the few things one can with any confidence say about him is that he looked nothing like Harrison Ford. Yet Rahn, small and weasel-faced, with a hesitant, toothy smile and hair like a neatly contoured oil slick, undoubtedly :rolleyes: served as inspiration for Ford's most famous role, Indiana Jones.

Like Jones, Rahn was an archaeologist, like him he fell foul of the Nazis and like him he was obsessed with finding the Holy Grail - the cup reputedly used to catch Christ's blood when he was crucified. But whereas Jones rode the Grail-train to box-office glory, Rahn's obsession ended up costing him his life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/05/22/sv_rahn125.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It is funny how often I'll see something that says which person Indiana Jones is based on. Or a modern person saying that Lucas and Speilberg stole the character from his life.
There is a new Allan Quatermain video that says Indiana Jones is based on Haggard's character.
Success has a thousand children.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ