Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

Maguire

Practically Family
Just saw it last night. I have to say i was impressed. I mean, i was expecting a real dissappointment but this was much better than Temple of Doom at least. Like I've said before, once you reach a certain age these movies lose that appeal that they had when you were a child, but they are still entertaining. But Raiders and Last Crusade have a lasting appeal more so than Temple of Doom. I'd say the same for this new one. Its just great fun and i like how they gave us the 50s the same way they gave us the 30s. There is no attempt at portraying anything but "good guys" and "bad guys" and its kept simple and mindless, but interesting all the same. There is something predictable about all of the films, but somehow its the predictability that is so fun (for example, everytime the main bad guy and another bad guy are doing something in the presence of indiana jones, you know the expendable bad guy's going to get it. The scene with the ants, for example).

Thank god for the cold war, otherwise who would we have Indiana opposing in this movie? Canadians ?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
liked it enough t own it

I'll probably even take my kids to see it.... Ok so the UFO thing kinda got to me. But what the #ell! We grew up watching this guy... it could be Indy meets abbot and costello for all I care.

Give it a shot and just enjoy the film for what it is. They also have the new Mummy comming out!! So hopefully this will bring back some more period flicks??!!

Cheers!

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Indiana Jones and the Kingom of the Crystal Numbskull

In case you haven't seen it, warning SPOILERS AHEAD!

Is anyone out there as disappointed as I am with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
I thought they would have learned from the debacle that was Temple of Doom and the success of Last Crusade!

And the movie started off great! It was a really good story until they NUKED THE FRIDGE, which was so bad that it has replaced "Jump the Shark" in showbiz as a nickname for "ridiculous or low quality storylines, events or characters".

I mean, I sat there in shock, while memories of idiotic stunts like jumping out of a plane on a rubber raft flashed through my brain! I couldn't believe it! And then it continued with more forced, lame attempts at comedy!

Mutt swinging like a monkey, the characters surviving THREE falls down cataracts in a vehicle, etc.

What were they thinking?

Sorry if it sounds nerdy, but I learned how to use a bullwhip when I was in 4th grade. When Raiders came out years later I was ecstatic to say the least! I loved the Indy character and the whole idea! To me, they sold out and cheapened it to the lowest common denominator.

It seems they've reclassified the Indy adventures as tongue and cheek when Raiders was never that-it was a revival of the Saturday morning serials. Yes, there was some pushing the limits, but it was generally believable, and the comedy was well thought out and timed.

I remember my disappointment with Temple of Doom after a friend and I chose to see Temple instead of going to the silly 9th grade prom. After waiting all those years they gave us this?!

I also don't like that Indy's gun changed (in Crusade and later) to a Webley. I liked the 1917/Hand Ejector. That gun fit Indy as well as his fedora and jacket!

And I noticed that Indy didn't fire his gun even once!

I did like how Indy had matured though.

It could have been such a good film!

Anyway, I'll take a nap now...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I saw Raiders upon its release in 1981, but I stayed away from this one, despite being thrilled at the prospect of Dr. Jones' return. Raiders of the Lost Ark was second only to the original (1977-83) Star Wars trilogy as my most beloved movie from childhood, and has since overtaken those! I rewatched Raiders this past week, and it was just as thrilling, funny, well-paced, wonderfully scored, and brilliantly realized in every aspect as it ever was!

I don't watch Temple of Doom if I can help it, and Last Crusade is merely average.

If they hadn't made anything but Raiders of the Lost Ark, that would've been fine by me.

LordBest

Practically Family
I respectfully disagree. The original films were cinematic homages to 1930s pulp fiction, the new film was a homage to 1950s pulp fiction which often features the paranormal and extra-terrestrial. In that respect I felt it was quite a fitting sequel, and a better film that Temple of Doom (which I should have loved as India, and especially British India, fascinates me).
As to nuking the fridge, I have often wondered why people can accept a box which melts people, 800 year old knights who inexplicably speak modern English and Indian voodoo but stumble on the issue of sheltering in a lead lined refrigerator (I know it would not help) from a nuclear explosion.
If I wanted to be a real bore I could point out that (if you accept its existence and/or survival) the Ark of the Covenant would never have been in Egypt, it is either under the Temple Mount or in Axum. Therefore the entire premise of Raiders is false.
If I were even more boring* I could point out that some hold that there were two Arks, one of which is probably in the above locations the other being in southern Africa. By its depiction in Raiders that particular Ark would be the Ark of War, the one which is in southern Africa.

I was expecting to hate Crystal Skull, as I have a particular loathing of the crystal skull mythos which has built up over the past century and a half, but I came away pleasantly surprised. I would rank it with Last Crusade, above Temple of Doom. With Raiders on top, of course.
I am in no way attempting to be quarrelsome or change anyones opinion of the film, merely stating my own views.

*I can be very, very boring. I once wrote an essay on why ruined cities in video games made no logical sense when viewed from an archaeological perspective.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
I am in no way attempting to be quarrelsome or change anyone's opinion of the film, merely stating my own views.

That's it! I challenge you to a fistfight aLa Raiders. Either beneath a slowly spinning prop plane or on a moving truck!:rage:

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
ThreadSign.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shia LaBeouf, when asked this week about another Indy movie:
"Steven just said that he cracked a story on it before I left, and, uh, I think they're gearin' that up."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana