Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy's Hat

Mark G

A-List Customer
I was up in the bay area, and a friend works for Lucasfilms in research and gave us a tour of the Ranch.

Here's a pic of some of the props used in the films.

P1010783-1.jpg

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Mark G said:
Thanks everyone. The funny thing with the "Crystal Skull" is that they filled it full of bubble wrap. Very high tech!:eusa_doh:

Makes sense, when I first saw it I thought it was a ball of cling-film stuffed in there.[huh]

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Fedora OCD

I'm just blown away on all the passion spent to reproduce a hat! While I like the look of the Indiana hat on Indy, I don't really want to wear it myself. Maybe I'm too egotistical, but I'd rather look like me... might as well 'cause no one else sure wants to look like me!

Kermit Jones

New in Town
Hello everybody!

New to the community, but I'm tremendously grateful for the wealth of knowledge that is here. I've only recently join the auspicious ranks of Fedora wearers. I originally started with an off-the-shelf Dorfman Pacific crushable wool with the infamously inaccurate teardrop crown. Completely inaccurate for Indiana Jones, I know, but my family likes the way it looks, so that's what I enjoy wearing the most these days. Even so... I get asked no fewer than twice a week about it... to the point that even my kids are interested in acquiring a hat (seems dad wasn't so crazy after all!)

And let me say that I appreciate the graciousness of everyone on these forums, that it doesn't matter if you're wearing a $20 wool felt hat or $600 beaver fur felt hat - there still is encouragement in a sharing of the excitement of "fedorability."

I'll be honest in that I started down the road of looking for an authentic Indiana Jones fedora. Seems I'm not the first. I've learned a great deal over the past several months from all of you and what actually makes the Hat somewhat authentic. In that process, I've read that the original Prop people of the first film, upon receipt of the initial order of hats, proceeded to wash it, brush it, roll it, wet it, and do all sorts of things to make it an authentic adventurer hat. They then formed it into the hat that Harrison Ford wore on screen. Armed with that knowledge - and the fact that pre-formed creases we're not really popular on hats until post World War 2 - is it safe to assume that the original Indiana Jones hat was likely an Open crown that was hand bashed? I know Swaine Adeney Brigg currently sells it pre-creased, but don't think that's the final word.

I've decided that I'm going to go with an open crown, much like the Akubra Federation IV Deluxe, but for the sake of discussion, I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding the original hat? Wouldn't it be more accurate to state that it was hand bashed?

Thanks! I very much look forward to the forthcoming education...

Blessings,
Kermit

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Long story short. Yes. Yes it was, or rather would have been. Look at the examples in movies and TV shows. Jimmy, Cagney, and Bogart all had hand bashed Fedora's and it showed. In fact post war examples still shows hand bashing as well - Dragnet and All in the family.
Anyone here will tell you the federation is a great choice of hat. I personally have had 16 years experience and have nothing bad to say. It also falls in line with a Indiana Jones look if you choose to go that route. A few great tutorials on YouTube on how to bash it. Penman hats has a few good Indiana Jones shaping videos as well as David Morgans.
Nice to meet you, welcome to the lounge and wear your hat in good health.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider