Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ingrid Bergman Dress Destroyed - Vogue shows it off

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
A beautiful dress gave its life so that she may appear in Vogue. Imagine how much more glamorous Elletra would have seemed had she just shown up wearing the dress fully intact? "This old thing? I got in from Granny's attic!"

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I don't think it looks horrible as a standalone dress. It's a "modern" take on an original. But to do THAT to the real dress is wrong. Make a copy for Christ's sake.

HannahLou

New in Town
Terrible! Wasn't this also recently done for some ones Oscar dress?

Yes, Colin Firth's wife wore a dress made up from 11 dresses from the 30's - the era of 'The King's Speech'

imgres

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, Colin Firth's wife wore a dress made up from 11 dresses from the 30's - the era of 'The King's Speech'

Eh.
I just cant believe these women found designers to do this. Would these designers want their art to be cut up and patched together for whatever modern ascetic of the time in 60 years? I don't think so. Would you decoupage the Mona Lisa?

I wonder how many designers they actually passed up before they found someone to do it.

LD

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Eh.
I just cant believe these women found designers to do this. Would these designers want their art to be cut up and patched together for whatever modern ascetic of the time in 60 years? I don't think so. Would you decoupage the Mona Lisa?

I wonder how many designers they actually passed up before they found someone to do it.

LD

And I can't quite understand why people that do this kind of thing are called designers. Sartorial scavengers seems more appropriate. Fair dos if those 11 dresses had say, 11 usable bits with the rest ready for the knackers yard, but otherwise...ugh!

Drappa

One Too Many
^The vintage shop they came from actually published a statement explaining that the 11 dresses were beyond repair and could not be sold or worn as they were.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I'm not exactly thrilled about them cutting up a vintage dress that belonged to Ingrid Bergman either, however, I think that's better than losing ALL of the dress completely. I was at a vintage fashion expo one time and I saw this gorgeous red dress (that was way out of my budget--:(). As I was talking to the owner of the booth, I found out that it was a dress that was from the 1940s and at one point in it's "life" it had been shortened by "someone". It's a bit tragic when something doesn't stay as it was originally intended, but it doesn't mean the "instant death" to something. I'm sure in her own way, Ingrid Bergman's granddaughter felt that she was honoring her grandmother's memory by wearing her dress, shorten or not. That's something a reproduction is never going to have.

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Somehow an original, un-altered dress that was worn by Ingrid Bergman on display somewhere sounds better to me than having it cut in half for what's likely to be a single photo shoot. Things like this just bug me.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think the amusing part about the whole thing (at least to me) is how it was "updated." All I can see is that someone took a pair of sizzors to the thing.

I didn't think that it was so much "designing" as I thought it was "cutting"- a skill that most people learn by the end of kindergarten. I wonder how much that designer took out of her pocket for a job an average five-year-old could do.

LollyWillowes

New in Town
This sort of thing is one of my Great Hates! It's tasteless on various levels. I am sooo sick of seeing above the knee dresses all the time too. Sometimes it works but it frequently doesn't. Besides, even if you have fabulous legs you don't want to be in a mini length all the time. All I ever see in the shops are dresses that would look so much better with a bit more length to them, and I am a short ass, they must be just below normal/tall women's behinds.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hey I'll say it - I like short skirts. I do. I'm terribly short, but I have nice-ish legs (for a shorty) and I like proving I HAVE legs, and many things that should be mid-calf tend to be ankle on me and not designed for it. Not very pretty.

I love short flapper dresses, though I don't own any.

BUT... I would not have done this to this dress. Liking short skirts =/= liking this look very much.

I have a *LOT* of things from my grandmother (who was not rich) and a lot I keep exactly as they were when I got them - but I also have to admit I wouldn't treat every dress of hers the same. I assume she knows just how wonderful her grandmother was. I don't assume she doesn't have anything else from her, whether furniture or jewelry or whatever, that go perfectly preserved, even if this dress got cut down. I think its a bit sad, especially that it was done THIS way - but not necessarily a sign of being terribly unfeeling, on the granddaughters' part. A bit thickheaded on the designers', though. Given a canvas of "Bergman dress" I would think would be all the challenge you could get and you'd come out of the gate with a bit more than "take it up."

Imagine what COULD have been done, if something had to be done. That's the real tragedy, to my mind.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I read that article when it was new. I was reminded of Pretty in Pink, when Andie ruins that ADORABLE pink 60's dress to make the monstrosity she wore to the prom...

At the very least, it was original. All I can see was done to Ingrid's dress was that the skirt was cut off at the thighs... Gee, we've never seen that before. What a shame.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
As much as I love Pretty In Pink, that was the part that my eyes could not stop twitching at. I'm like she "ruined" the dress! :eeek: The other thing I couldn't stand was the horrible wig they let poor Andrew McCarthy wear to the prom! lol That was because there was another ending to the movie originally and they decided to do a re-shoot. At the time of the re-shoot, Andrew McCarthy was bald because of a play he was doing at the time.

Well that was the 80s for you. Weirdly enough though, Molly Ringwald's character was all about shopping at thrift shops and being crafty. Two things that I admire, but when it came to that dress I was like, "OMG!!" :eek:

Before the powers at be, tackle me for going a wee bit off topic, I thought I post another picture of that dress on the red carpet. Sometimes it's hard to tell in a magazine photo shoot how a dress really looks like. From the photo shoot, I thought originally the dress was very stiff in the back. On the red carpet, that's not the case at all.

http://art8amby.files.wordpress.com...-bergmans-dress-modified-by-prabal-gurung.jpg

I'm sorry to say this, but I really do believe that no one would have cared about this dress if it didn't belong to Ingrid Bergman. It never would have gotten any press if that was the case. So many great dresses I think go through transformations with out us really knowing about it.

I remember seeing this on TV once. This lady lived in a great 1920s house. And what color does she decide to paint it? GREY!! UHHGGG!!! As much as I can have a riot in my head about it, it's still her house and if that makes her happy, that's what matters. If it were me, I probably going through the process of trying to keep it "original" as possible, but that's me.

Okay I'll stop before somebody decides to crack the whip! Or I'll get eggs thrown at me! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points