Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

STHill

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I'm brand new to the forum, and a novice (a couple of months) hat wearer. Just in lurking here for a few weeks, I have learned so much. It's great to get so much knowledge in one place.

Two months ago, I didn't have a clue about hats. I just knew I was ready to start wearing one on a regular basis. I found a hat store in Atlanta (not an easy feat) and picked out a grey Dobbs Bogie-ish style fedora and have been wearing it ever since. Of course, now that I've been hanging around here, I'm rapidly becoming something of a "hat snob." So I'm already looking to upgrade.

I'm curious about how each of you came to be a serious hat wearer. Me, I've long thought the 40's style fedora is just a good, classy look. I think I worried for years that other people would think it was "uncool." Finally, at the ripe old age of 46, it occurred to me that I don't really care what the masses think. I know it's a classic look, and I like it.

What about the rest of ya'll?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love hats

which began way back when the old Movie Serials were played on Saturdays on TV...the Republic Serials. Gun fights, Nazi's , G-men, and the guys all had suits on and feora hats. Plus I'm a big Bogart - Cagney - Film Noir guy..and wish it was the 40's again (style wise and attitudes on a lot of things).

So I began searching for hats...and it wasn't until I got a computer and found ebay and other places, is when the quest began. I have been a serious hat collector and wearer for about 7 years now. Most of my good hats are within the past 5 years.

Welcome aboard. This is a class place.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
First, welcome!! It's good to have you join our ranks.

I've been wearing hats since I was a freshman in high school (many years ago). I even wore a fedora to the prom. My hats were usually the cheaper hats that you could pick up at Dillards of other departments stores. That was before I knew better, but I still wore them. I didn't get into quality hats unitl last year when I found Indygear/COW and picked up a Peters Brothers. Now the only time I wear one of those lesser quality hats is when I mow the lawn. My hat collection is not as extensive as some others here but it is growing. Right now I have: 2 Peters Brothers, 2 vintage Adam Executives, 1 Monticristi, 1 Akubra, and 1 Jackson Hole Hat Co (which was reshaped by Jimmy at PB into an Indy/Last Crusade style).

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome STHill!!!
As a very young boy (10) I started learning how to play golf on a local course made inside a horse racing track. My Dad was an excellent player who bet alot on his game against other players that either worked at night ( singers/entertainers/hotel mgrs/bartender/pimps) or were independent contractors like my father. Most of the other players were black/african american many to whom style was tremendously important ( see above-pimps) and I was taught early by these gentlemen ( surrogate uncles) that a gentleman wore not only colorful clothing but also ALWAYS wear a hat. Since I was in the sun most of the day, then followed up with a career in construction where most of my work was outdoors, it seemed only natural to wear one.
About 17 yrs ago my wife and I started collecting vintage clothing to go along with my early autos and before long we had a clothing store here in the San Fran area where most of my clients were in search of the "perfect" fedora to go with whatever they were wearing, but I couldn't find the hats as fast as i could sell them so I started learning how to rebuild and enlarge the hats I COULD find. and THAT became another obsession.:)
I now renovate and custom build both felt and Panama hats, along with my masonry business and my vintage clothing store.
All in all I blame it on the men who taught me to wear burgundy bell bottoms with pink shirts with yellow hats.)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
All in all I blame it on the men who taught me to wear burgundy bell bottoms with pink shirts with yellow hats.

That is a hoot! I had visions of Eric Clapton in the Cream days.

Welcome STHill to The Fedora Lounge. A great question is a great way to introduce yourself.

I have always liked hats. I was very fond of top hats and tweed caps.....even deerstalker hats (elementry Watson!). I have always liked the 30's-40's and was very fond of Bogart. I was very excited about Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have always liked trench coats too. During the 70's, 80's and 90's I had long hair....so that gave a very different look with hats.

At the end of the 90's I cut my hair shorter and tried on an Indy style fedora. I thought I looked like a cowboy......which was not a positive image in my mind. After looking at enough pictures and movies of guys in fedoras, I trained my eye to accept seeing fedora on my head. I have to give credit (or is it blame?) to Indy Gear for pushing me over the edge. My first fedora was a Miller Indy fedora that I paid $60 for. I thought that was a ridiculous sum to pay considering I would rarely wear it.

The hook was in. I have been trading up every since. I have expanded my taste to include a variety of fedoras. Now it is a very rare thing if I leave the house without a lid.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard!

Great to have you ST :D . I laughed at your last comment about "Just not caring anymore", because it was the same way with myself. I've only been seriously into Fedora's for about 2 years. Before that I always loved the look and the style of Fedoras and the 40's but had no idea how to find a decent hat or anything else for that matter. It was a bit of a shock when I was put on track by a fella half my age wearing an Akubra Federation. From there on I've gone from Indygear to the broader styling world of the Fedora Lounge. You've fallen among a unique and wonderful group of people. I know you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

Dave McCone

New in Town
Nice stories!

I started wearing fedora-like straw hats in my high school days on an off-and-on basis, and have always had a few of them around - generally not great-and-wonderful hats.

Now that I'm in my mid-40s age and heredity have caught up with me - the hairline is receeding and what's there is getting thinner. So, I've started to wear hats more and more. It only takes a few times of getting your scalp sunburned to get you into the hat habit. And, my thought was that as long as I was going to have to make the change to a full-time hat wearer I might as well upgrade and spend some decent money to get good hats, since baldness typically does not reverrse itself.

I would agree with the post above that at some point in your fourties you come to the conclusion that what other people think of you really doesn't matter. I don't think anybody has offered an unkind remark to me regarding wearing hats, and lots of folks have offered complements.

Interestingly, my response to losing hair has been to grow my hair out and wear it in a ponytail - I always wanted to go to a longer hairstyle, and my thought is that I might as well do it while I still had hair to do it with... Agan, what other people think doesn't matter. Fortunately, I work in academia (on staff at the University of Washington) which is a liberal enough that long hair doesn't raise an eyebrow. Heck, I look like one of the grad students....

So - wear your hat(s) proudly and with style. The folks who are petty enough to criticize you are likely folks whose opinions simply do not matter.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Greetings all! I am a new member who about a year ago started taking an interest in dressing better, and recently taking an interest in hats. At the ripe old age of 57, I have decided to dress my age. Gone are the too tight fitting blue jeans (I wore 36 but a 40 is a whole lot more comfortable :) )that I wore on my hips, gone are the tennis shoes and golf shirts. I discovered how proper attire is not only better looking, but much more comfortable.

I've never quite liked a ball caps and last winter began wearing a tweed flat cap when the weather cooled. I took a liking to fedoras when I purchased a wool hat with a 2 1/2" brim and a pinched center crease from Orvis last winter which I have started wearing again and am thinking of buying a Stetson Temple. So here I am, hoping to learn from you gentlemen (and ladies).

I also hang out at Style Forum and Ask Andy, as I assume some of you do as well. I do have a question. I've seen reference to COW. Is this some other forum I am not aware of? When talking about hats, all I can do is plead the "Sgt. Shultz defense" so for now, I'll just be soaking up knowledge.

Thanks for letting me be part of your forum.

Regards,
Philip

Edward

Bartender
Hi Philip, welcome!

The 'COW' you see people speaking of is short for "Club Obi-Wan" - the Star Wars referencing name of the fictional Shanghai club from the opening sequence of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. To the best of my understanding, that's the name given to the discussion forums over at Indiana Jones fansite www.Indygear.com. There's a lot of interest in a certain type of Fedora / leather jacket over there, hence the common ground with the FL. ;)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge, as someone else who is 57, I know what you mean about dressing differently as you grow older. I stopped wearing tank tops a number of years ago when I noticed I started to look more like "The Fly" than the Terminator.

Regarding the Stetson Temple, I have owned one and in all honesty for the money I'd recommend either an Akubra or a Biltmore.

regards fedoralover

LEUII

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
Welcome to the lounge, as someone else who is 57, I know what you mean about dressing differently as you grow older. I stopped wearing tank tops a number of years ago when I noticed I started to look more like "The Fly" than the Terminator.

Regarding the Stetson Temple, I have owned one and in all honesty for the money I'd recommend either an Akubra or a Biltmore.

regards fedoralover

I'll second that.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flylot74 I believe you'll find the 2 1/4"-2 1/2" brim a perfect starting width. You can fluctuate from there to see what you like.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge Philip!
As you will find out if you dont already know... we love photos here at the Lounge!
Be sure to post some when your new fedora arrives.
I would also recomend the Akubra line of hats,great hat for the money.
When you get ready we also have a number of custom hatters here that will be glad to work with you to get you that 'special' hat you are looking for.
Again welcome ... glad you joined us!

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome. The knowledge and direction you seek, can be found here. This is friendly forum. Members are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Philip! welcome to the lounge! pull up a chair and enjoy. I'm sure you'll learn plenty here as I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana