Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is goatskin inappropriate for a motorcycle jacket?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Joel if you want a style they do but they have no horse why not get a price off them for making you a jacket with you providing your own leather and if it is alright get them to tell you what footage you would need, get your own horsehide and send it on to them. Horween sell direct to the public now....if you live in USA at least.

Horween sells direct now? I didn't know that. Anyway, Langlitz won't use a customer-provided hide. I already asked. Said it came out badly the few times they tried it. Nobody was happy with the end result. Too bad too, because that jacket in horsehide is my dream jacket. Like this one:

http://sites.google.com/site/clublanglitzleathers8/michihiro-langlitz-nagoya

jksu

Familiar Face
Not for nothing but I'm sure there are many many disgusting accidents with a car involved, there are definitely risks involved in life. Leather sans armor will work just fine in a slide, if hit by a car or a tree going 50 MPH nothing will really help you out.

agreed if you hit a hard object at a high velocity, you better have the guy upstairs looking out for you....

but a back protector may save your spine and the elbow/shoulder armor may help prevent a break and disperse the impact into a more of a roll off/slide than "crunch". i've been a victim of a hit and run while riding my bicycle -- going 27mph and had to be helicoptered to ucla's er. also gone down on a motorized 2 wheeler a couple times (1 armored, 1 not). riding the bicycle, the helmet saved my skull and life, but the rest of me in skimpy cycling gear was severely beat up (knee, ribs fx, lots of stitches/road rash). let's just say i'm a believer good protection makes a big difference.

so at 50 mph, instead of nothing will really help, i think besides counting on luck, something's can potentially help and prevent catastrophe.

anyways, not intended to be a rant. just want folks to be safe and here's to none of us needing to test either theory. would break our hearts to hear about any gorgeous aero/lost world/langlitz/schott jacket getting torn up ;-)

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I don't have an issue with people who wear all the gear each an every time at all, wear what you want, ride what you want, that's the beauty of riding, the freedom and you should be confident and comfortable when you get on the bike. I've never made fun of what people wear or what they ride, me saying I would rather be wrenching on my Harley than riding a Honda isn't dogging the Honda I'm sure it's a fine bike just not one I would ride, I'm sure those full suits are quite functional just not something I would wear on the bike. I've been down before and the heavy leather did me well, I do wear a DOT helmet because I live in a helmet state. But I'm not going to lie, many times when I've been in PA (I live 25 miles from the border) it has come off for a bit, it feels awesome.

I think it's all a personal decision and should stay that way, once we go the legislation route it doesn't end until people realize even with gear motorcycles are still much much more dangerous than other methods of travel and they are banned. Those of us who ride bikes are a tiny minority and legislation can snuff our thing out really really quickly if we start with the higher insurance premiums argument.

OK I did call Vics fugly... I like the power they have and they are beating Harley with standard 103 motors years ago. If they worked on the styling I may give them a look if Harley ever starts moving production overseas.

Last edited:
In 1992, I rode to the LA City Hall with a bunch of guys that were going to speak at the rally against the helmet law. I went with Billy Idol, Dwight Yokam, Otto Felix, and some other fellas. I was asked to join them on the ride/rally because I wrote a piece foe the UCLA Bruin newspaper against the helmet law(s). I have never ridden sans helmet, but my piece basically detailed all of the other ways people die and get mangled doing other more common things like riding bicycles, riding horseback, etc. etc. and in larger numbers. I think adults should be allowed the choice, period. But I also agree with having to have adequate insurance to ride and higher coverage if you choose not to use a lid.
when we got there, we pulled up and I was the only guy in the group on a sports bike, AND wearing a lid. At this point, many bikers approach due to the star quotient of the group. A (sorry to say) picture-perfect H-D caricature from the 70’s, missing teeth and all proceeded to chastise me for wearing a lid. "Whar the f*** are you doing here with THAT THING?" he asked/yelled. I replied "I am here supporting your right to NOT wear a lid, fool". He stopped, dazed and thunk it over for a few seconds..."Cool man - I get it!”. I nodded and the guys all laughed as we went up to the City Hall steps...
So, I don't care what you do - as long as I don't have to pay your medical/funeral expenses.
Ride safe, no matter what your mark.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Goat is typically a more comfortable hide than heavy steerhide or horsehide. Two advantages I see are that you can get specify a closer fit without sacrificing comfort and you'll be more likely to wear the jacket than hang it on the bars or put in the saddlebag.

jksu

Familiar Face
i'm definitely for the freedom to choose. kudos to butte to support that freedom at a rally

on a nice day it's fun to cruise around the neighborhood on my bicycle without a helmet... but if i'm with the little ones, they definitely have theirs and i have mine to set the example.

back to topic, anyone heard or have an ibex goatskin jacket? there's one on eBay. good quality?

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
Aero goat is very thick and tough yet thinner than the heavy horse/steer. It makes it more comfortable for riding. However, I've seen very thin goat hide on other jackets. I find the goat is a very dense hide. Rain doesnt permeate as easily.

Edward

Bartender
Aero goat is very thick and tough yet thinner than the heavy horse/steer. It makes it more comfortable for riding. However, I've seen very thin goat hide on other jackets. I find the goat is a very dense hide. Rain doesnt permeate as easily.

I love the Aero goat - it's such a shame it doesn't come in black.

In the end, even a goat jacket is better than none. And out here in Cali, it's sad to see all the kids wearing no gear 'cause you know someday, they'll pay the price.

pauleway

Practically Family
Goatskin Leather

I own a few goatskin jackets, and my Aero goatskin is definately the thickest of the bunch. It's the only goatskin jacket I ever had to break in a little. All the other ones are thinner, but softer. I don't ride a motorcycle but I think my Aero goat would do an adequate job for a bike!

jksu

Familiar Face
In the end, even a goat jacket is better than none. And out here in Cali, it's sad to see all the kids wearing no gear 'cause you know someday, they'll pay the price.

seriously. lots of t-shirt and shorts here in so cal. not unexpected given the weather, but yeah, they're going to learn the hard way. at least some on sport bikes are smart enough to wear a back protector over the t-shirt...

jksu

Familiar Face
I look on eBay for vintage goatskin jackets and can't find many. I concluded either goatskin wasn't a popular leather in the old days or it didn't last the way horsehide did. Maybe I'm wrong:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-40S...s_Clothing&hash=item256f7d68db#ht_9109wt_1165

this is the one i saw that looked pretty nice and unique:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibex-Retro-...C_Outerwear&hash=item27c5fcb5f9#ht_500wt_1304

size 40 is my size, but the sleeve length the seller provided me were a tad short for me, otherwise, the price is quite reasonable. just don't know much about ibex...made in england.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thong

seriously. lots of t-shirt and shorts here in so cal. not unexpected given the weather, but yeah, they're going to learn the hard way. at least some on sport bikes are smart enough to wear a back protector over the t-shirt...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think this look is far sexier then those stupid young ladies wearing thong bikini on the back of their boy friends motorcycle!
elena.jpg
ElenaAction.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

So I checked with Langlitz and a goatskin 47 Columbia with mouton collar will run me $1355. That's a steep price, but for what it is, well worth it. There is the option of getting it without the belt. Is a belt on a jacket uncomfortable? I'm not riding. Just wondering what you all think of the utility and comfortability of a jacket belt. It already has side laces for adjustment. Thanks.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a feeling that goat skins don't come up that large (2' x 3' / 60 cm x 90 cm), and good leathers are made from fewer panels if possible. So that might be one limitation.

In terms of weight, my set of BKS Leathers, which make my Aero jacket feel light, and have double or even triple layers of cowhide on wear points. They're good if you fall off though.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I've got a feeling that goat skins don't come up that large (2' x 3' / 60 cm x 90 cm), and good leathers are made from fewer panels if possible. So that might be one limitation.
From what I understand, when the Navy came out with the G1 they had to import goat skin from Argentina because most American goats were kept in barb wire enclosures, thus scared! I have a nice heavy Harley Cafe jacket made in Pakistan in the 90s, very nice goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112